Battlefield 2

Shao14

THIS GAME IS FUN!!!! My friends and I have been playing it near non-stop for hours!! I must have like 11 hrs into the game already!!! I find it sooo fun for the squad combat!!!!

It's also great for the jets soooo much!!! (very few people can defeat me in a dogfight :), actually, I only know of one).

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do a google search for 'battlefield 2 demo' i used fileshack, left it on overnight, now just transfering it from my emac (i find that its faster with downloads... as its got the only adsl modem in the house and i cant get the damn thing ot work on my pc >_< oh well) should be playing in half a hour and i just woke up, full day of gameing while i wait for UNC to get back with my qoute :D

Jolt is best if you're in the UK.

I played the demo for about ten minutes last night, on high setting. It was quite playable, but there was an noticable loss of frame-rate in graphically intense areas, which leads me to suspect that when my retail copy arrives I'll be forced to resort to a custom 'medium' setting with a few things tweaked here and there.

After a bit of consideration I think the best thing will be to wait till the end of the year when technology has advanced well beyond what the game requires, and then get a whole new sytem. That way I might not have great graphics initially, but when I do upgrade at the end of the year I'll be guaranteed a system that will be able to run BF2 at maximum everything - something which, from experience of the previous BF games, a card currently out may not.

Overall I like the squad idea, as well as the balancing of infantry and vehicles - BF:v managed to get this (albeit forcefully) right, whereas BF1942 was a case of 'get in a vehicle, or you're as good as dead'. The balance of weapons (I only played the MEC, being a soviet weapon fan, of course...) looked quite good, and was much more varied than in Desert Combat (of which I still insist this was heavily based upon, considering Trauma Studios were involved in BF2's production). I've yet to see the dynamic map scaling in action, but from what I have seen, it does seem to work well and keep the balance of infantry and vehicles to an appropriate level.

Unfortunately the demo does have a lot of niggles though. For one, being a left hander, I use the numpad to move in all games, and I found that the demo prevented this, as it kept registering a conflict in control bindings which wasn't there. Secondly, yet again (as this was afailing of hte original series) there was no 1280x1024 resolution, which is a massive annoyance if you happen to have a LCD monitor with that as the native resolution (like me), as the image is consequently somewhat 'blurred'. The top resolution was (like in the original games) 1280x960, which (unlike the original games) insisted on running as if on a wide screen monitor - eg with black strips at the top and bottom of the screen, which is highly irritating, and something I've not seen before - all resolutions automatically are adapted to fit the display usually....

But I'm sure in the retail version, if these problems haven't already been addressed, they will be shortly in a patch. On the bright side, at least it's unlikely that they'll have massively unbalanced weapons (a la the m60 in the initial versions of BF:V, which had practically no recoil when fired whilst running, meaning that no-one bothered with any other US class as they could simply sprint along with the M60 killing everything (oh and they gave the class the LAW too, so that it was pretty much unstoppable...). Hopefully DICE has learnt from their past lessons.

Marlowe mate I hear what you say. Haven't donwloaded the demo yet, and I think you are closer to the specs I have (ati 850 right?).

I read a lot around though, and I have a workaround for the LCD setting you might try. I'll try it later on tonight when Im back home.

That is, launching the dsektop shortcut like this

"D:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

Everyone said it does work.

I hear what you say about the rest and the game itself, and I think I agree upon reading. Somehow I think they haven't optimezed the code just yet, typical of them.

My specs are a Pentium 3.5, 1 gig ram and the ati x850. If with these settings it'll run like you said, something must be still wrong.

Sorry for the post-after-post, but I figured out where the SA80 came from.

If you play enough, or well enough on ranked servers you get "upgrades" in weapons that you can unlock.

Special Forces - G36c

Support - PKM

Sniper - M95 Barret

Anti-tank - DAO-12 (Revolver Launcher)

Assault - G3

Engineer - MK3A1 Jackhammer

Medic - L85A1 (SA80)

And you can unlock them in single player (or online if the the server has it enabled too) by putting in a simple hack....

Or you could just open up unlocks.py in Battlefield 2 Demo\python\stats and change

defaultUnlocks = [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]

to

defaultUnlocks = [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1]

Edit that on a server and anyone can join and play, no mods required.

Battlefield Recorder is Server Side only unfortunatle and its requires a command line through the shortcut target rather than a console command.

Here's just a few teaser shots from actual multiplay (I didn't get any more squad base combat because its just too difficult to do it without getting killed) mostly, of air combat.

I ran the game mostly in medium details so this isn't as good looking as it could be....

M4 SOPMOD....(with the Aimpoint...)

M4%20Reload.jpg

The F-35B Joint Strike Fighter....(btw, all planes now have both a Air to Air and Air to Ground mode so they all have Guns/Missles AND Bombs!)

JSF%201.jpg

I like this shot :).

JSF%202.jpg

I'm in my AH-1Z Super Cobra with my squadmates in the Blackhawk piloted by Ben Friesen (who some of you might know) who is doing a roll just to show off :)

Cobra_Blackhawk%20Formation%201.jpg

My group/clan is as follows (Ignore the names): Ben - Spec Ops (Demolitions), Andrew - Anti-tank, Martino - Support (Ammo & SAW), and Nigel - Engineer (Repair). I'm usually the Medic with my trusty M16/Defibrilator on single shot doing battlefield healing and reviving.

Blackhawk%20Roof%20Landing.jpg

In this shot, you see us doing a roof landing to take the flag on the bottom! Teamwork is essential to capture any flags as it is crazy!!!!!

More pics here http://s91720033.onlinehome.us/Hosted%20St...o%20Screens.rar

Ive had it about a day now...im sold and im getting it soon as its out!

This might just be better than OFP if they put headshots into it

No no....Operation Flashpoint is a whole different game.....I mean, the gameplay is very different. BF 2 is still arcade like as that was their goal. They didn't want it to be the ultra-realisism that is Flashpoint.

While we're discussing it, can anyone figure out a way to unbind the numpad keys either in or out of game? I've tried the old BF commands in the console without success, and removing the numpad values from common.com seems to be unsuccessful either. I wouldn't ask but I'm left handed, and so use the numpad for directional keys, etc....:(

Its a shame anti aliasing doesnt work in the demo, really lets down the visuals.

Interesting, it worked for me when I tried it. Does quite a number on the FPS, though :P

On another note, isn't that loading music great? The old 1942 theme with a little middle-eastern flair. I got it out of the folder and listen to it almost constantly now. :D

Archived