The Zombie Horde is fast approaching... What do you take?

bankz5152

See what is left in RAF Lossiemouth.

We (I was there at the time) only lost a couple of GR4 squadrons, no impact on the small arms. Normally on a fast jet base you'd see fairly little in terms of actual rounds stored in the bomb dump (i.e. a box or two for annual refresher training) and basic weaponry in the armoury, but there's a squadron of raf reg at lossie. Lots of stuff stored there, and if you can figure out how to set them off (not easy), 1000lb bombs and all the other aircraft weapons. None of that is secret information of course, you can see the stacks of 1k pounders on google maps, or just sit on the camp perimeter and see what's slung under the tonkas as they fly over.

The advantage of airfields is they're always remote and away from big towns of course, pretty safe should the worst happen. I would go in to where the best places I think would be for one to break in to if they wanted to steal a decent rifle, but then I'd be saying it with actual inside knowledge, if a civvie makes a lucky guess then that's just a guess, I'd get in the *suitcase*... :unsure:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But in the event of a Zombie Outbreak that engulfs the UK, who is going to care about 'yeah this ex-RAF base bloke told me were all this ammo was stashed', i think they would have more things to worry about, like staying alive. :P

As for the family with the stolen SA80, i have heard of kit going missing when they come back from serving, but a whole rifle? Who let the pikeys in the Army :P

Anyway, all i know is i have my plan, it is basic and has many ways out if it goes wrong but outside of that i am screwed really.

'FireKnife'

But in the event of a Zombie Outbreak that engulfs the UK, who is going to care about 'yeah this ex-RAF base bloke told me were all this ammo was stashed', i think they would have more things to worry about, like staying alive. :P

In that event, if I were no longer in the forces, I'll sort myself out first then leave the hole-in-the-wall open behind me for everyone to take a share, I was purely referring to the present. Military types read this forum, so it'd be best for me to not be going "oh btw internet, xyz would be a good place to try and burgle for guns. Lightly guarded, easy to find, all you'd have to do is...".

In that event, if I were no longer in the forces, I'll sort myself out first then leave the hole-in-the-wall open behind me for everyone to take a share, I was purely referring to the present. Military types read this forum, so it'd be best for me to not be going "oh btw internet, xyz would be a good place to try and burgle for guns. Lightly guarded, easy to find, all you'd have to do is...".

True, hence why i put 'ex-RAF' as i think the last thing on your mind is 'would my force ID be ok or not' :P

However as for leaving a pistol in a ladies bathroom, that is just stupid.

'FireKnife'

yeah, i think ill stick with a .22 still. i only plan to take out threats within 100 yards i wouldn't plan on meeting much of anyways, i dont live in a crowded city and don't see the reason to visit one in a zombie apocalypse. but as i said before, i would also be carrying a 500 mag for teh bears. i just don't want to make any noise with my gun shots. i don't remember a .22 having any sort of jarring kick and i play airsoft, i know how to acquire targets consecutively and shoot fast.

i don't think an assault rifle would help too much. taking consecutive head shots is difficult, and i don't have the means to train with one at this time. i also dont think they would do much to slow down a small hoard in an alleyway. head shots are the only thing that would really count and center mass shots wouldn't have much effect as the bullets would pass through them (depending on the round i guess) instead of being stopped in a vest allowing all the kinetic energy to disperse into them. and even in the situation, i wouldn't dump rounds into a hoard. the best option would be to take out the legs, but id think that would be as hard if not harder than taking out a head. then, you'd have to use more rounds or wast energy smashing heads, taking out the hoard if you need to wade through the bodies.

within the first few weeks of the apocalypse, zombie skulls should still be hard. but not far after that they would start dying of starvation. the idea should be to find a place to hunker down for a few months and wait for them to starve and die out. however, depending on how fast the disease or what have you spreads, it may take a while to run out of food depending on if the zombies take interest in wild life or if the wild life even take to the disease.

i didn't however take into account non zombie combatants. however, i dont care. i still have the 500 and the breaching tool. speaking of which, i would use as a hammer against the zombies, not a pic axe. the pick is for breaching doors of course, wouldn't want to risk getting it stuck in a zombie.

given the choice of more weapons though, i would carry an AK as the primary. but keep a suppressed .22 pistol on hand for most of the work.

according to the OP, we DID have a rule of 2 weapons, though some of us bent that to 3. the .22 and breaching tool are what i find most important.

Just a note. Zombies wouldn't starve. They get no sustenance from eating brains, it's just one of the basic elements of being human that remain in them. Unless you go with the theory that the zombie virus is some kind of parasite that kills the host, re-animates them and controls them to go and bite other humans to spread the parasite.

Either way. You would be in for quite a wait depending on decomposition to naturally render them harmless.

yeah, i think ill stick with a .22 still. i only plan to take out threats within 100 yards i wouldn't plan on meeting much of anyways, i dont live in a crowded city and don't see the reason to visit one in a zombie apocalypse. but as i said before, i would also be carrying a 500 mag for teh bears. i just don't want to make any noise with my gun shots. i don't remember a .22 having any sort of jarring kick and i play airsoft, i know how to acquire targets consecutively and shoot fast.

i don't think an assault rifle would help too much. taking consecutive head shots is difficult, and i don't have the means to train with one at this time. i also dont think they would do much to slow down a small hoard in an alleyway. head shots are the only thing that would really count and center mass shots wouldn't have much effect as the bullets would pass through them (depending on the round i guess) instead of being stopped in a vest allowing all the kinetic energy to disperse into them. and even in the situation, i wouldn't dump rounds into a hoard. the best option would be to take out the legs, but id think that would be as hard if not harder than taking out a head. then, you'd have to use more rounds or wast energy smashing heads, taking out the hoard if you need to wade through the bodies.

I can see the logic in that. If you're not going to be near a horde, a .22 is probably going to be adequate. Still, that's on the keep a low profile, get to the countryside and survive logic. For me personally, that isn't really an immediate or viable option, as I live in a densely populated area and it'd take me some time to get out to the middle of nowhere.

As for the assault rifle/Alleyway conundrum... I can't really see a .22 saving your life if that were the case. If you've GOT to fight them, a firearm is your only real option with a crowd that big. A .22 might kill one Zombie with a headshot, but it's going to do nothing else without scoring the headshot. A 5.56 or similar round is going to go through the first Zombie's head, and at least slightly alter the motion of the one behind it. There's also the fact a 5.56 is a lot more likely to shatter a femur than a .22 is, and even if it goes through the bone the leg is going to stop working - As well as that, a last ditch full auto burst of 30 rounds at close range with a full size rifle round might just knock down enough to clear a path. 30 semi-auto rounds from a .22 is unlikely to have the same effect if you're really up the creek.

Still, assuming you're in a sparsely populated area and unlikely to run into huge numbers, I can see the arguement for a .22.. I guess it just wouldn't be my personal choice if the choice was available.

The whole thing really hinges on what type of Zombies and what situation you're in though... I think my actual Zombie survival plan would be fill my backpack with basic necessaries, chuck on a leather jacket and 2 layers of jeans, chuck my K-bar on my belt and grab the hatchet from my garage, then find out what the hell is going on before coming up with a proper plan, assuming I hadn't been eaten.

1 my Book of Eli clone kukri machete (being realistic here)

2 folding kerambit and hatchet

3 trusty Honda Cub that's likely to outlive me, or my brothers fixy (nice and quiet like)

4 I'll try and mate with the zombies if/when I get desperate (again, being realistic)

5 My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic opening theme

6 "Orale, arriba la rasa!"

Hmmm the type of Zombies question is interesting as it would totally change loadouts..

We got -

Humans infected with Rage - 28 Days Later - They can run damn fast

Flesh Hungry Zombies - All the classics Dawn of the Dead etc... - Slow and super dumb

T Virus Zombies - *fruitcage* me they are a whole host of evil mutated creations of Helle

If we get slow moving ones then you dont really need much except for some high solid walls and a lot of petrol to burn them away!

T-Virus zombies, i think id be going for a Challanger II and and a few LAWs.... Just incase one of the those masshusive ones comes at you!

Like him -

figure-6-resident-evil-4-monster.jpg

If there was a Zombie event in real life, if you factor in all the current woes/joys in our society, do you think?

1) There will be pockets of resistance with a heightened sense of survival and a biblical desire to preserve human culture.

or

2) A "Last days of Rome" mentality involving a five week bender and some seriously debauched orgies.

Im with Grindstone!!

Thing is that is what would happen, last day of Rome. Though that works out well for us because we'd fight for survival, the 'undesirable folk' would be wiped out and there would be more supplies and weapons left for us :D

I allways though Id head down to Oxford/Charlbury to set up for a while as my friend has a house down there full of ammo about 5-6 12Gs, .243 Rifles and x3 .22 rifles.

Gather up enough supplies and guns find a decent means of transport then make my way with a few people down to the Isle of White or Isle of Man, then try to clear out the island and start a fresh!

One thing Ive allways wondered is places like Russia, Scandinavia, Greenland, Canada, (provided its a world wide pandemic) do you think they would be alright considering when its winter it drops below -25C so the zombies should freeze giving the citizens a chance to go out and double kill them lol

I also think Australlia would survive as is considering their laws and the fact that they would just shut down all ports, airports and post the navy round the sides lol well my thoughts anyways..

Weapons?

28 Days later fast movers - Then I want an LMG. Maybe a 249 shorty with box mags.

NotLD Thicko's - Large bladed weapons, Like a previously mentioned Book of Eli blade and a short hatchet and a 9mm Glock 17

Resident Evil walkers - Mossberg M500. ;Short barrel, Full stock, laser unit, flashlight and plenty of shells.

Im with Grindstone!!

Thing is that is what would happen, last day of Rome. Though that works out well for us because we'd fight for survival, the 'undesirable folk' would be wiped out and there would be more supplies and weapons left for us :D

You're welcome to join, I could use loyal subordinates :)

I'm fortunate that I am currently located in a region with relatively low population density and only two major urban centers. Also, there is an abundance of natural resources, mostly in petroleum, therefore I already have a tool to power the war machine as well as the economy of my new nation-state. Farming is ok but livestock is much more prevelant, so food sources are mobile and last through winter, as well as provide excellent by-products (leather, milk, etc). Weather is relatively mild, usually only one good winter storm, but fairly hot summers. Tornados are a problem, but are rare and any damage is usually only in a very small swath at a time.

Indigenous population tends to lack higher-education, but more experienced in outdoor pursuits such as hunting, fishing, ranching, etc as well as various blue-collar trades such as mechanics and construction. Strong local cultural links to the Christian religion would really aide in recruitment and exploitation. Establishing a cult-like following shouldn't be too hard, something along the lines of a theocracy to retain power and control once I start consolidating the region. I think Kansas would be first, for the farming resources, as well as the other "lesser" Plains states. After establishing a firm foothold, the conquest of Texas would start, mainly for the refineries and access to the Gulf. This would be the most challenging operation, givin the stubborness of Texans and their strong pride in state identity. I'm not quite sure, yet, how I would subjugate them. I would avoid moving further East than the Mississippi river as the Atlantic, having a much higher population density, would no doubt also develop rival nation-states of their own, unless the zombie horde has completely gutted the coast. I would rather move to the Rockies, as well as further North to Canada and solidify my holdings.

I'm totally ready to make the apocalypse my *badgeress*.

Archived