Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be worth making a longer trip to get a better job done.

Bikes?

That's like my bat-signal.

How far is it going to be? What is your level of fitness.

Building up is important, don't jump in and get demoralised.

Mountain bikes are useless for commuting. The gearing is too low, the riding position is too upright, the wheels are too small (bigger wheels roll over bumps better) and suspension is a heavy useless waste of energy on a commuter.

Hybrid bikes equally as useless, basically they are just mountain bikes with road tyres.

Look for a disk braked cyclocross bike, it will be a tougher, slacker road bike with decent brakes and gearing. Then put some high volume slicks on it like a Shwalbe Marathon or Continental Gatorskin in a 32mm.

Don't buy a new bike, you can get some awesome deals on eBay.

Bikes depreciate like laptops.

It's about 8-9 miles each way, reasonable road and cycle lanes the whole way. Fitness-wise, I am not exactly unfit, I could run it if needs be.

That brief info on what to look for is handy, I'd never have considered eBay for a bike either. Cheers!

You're welcome.

For example, at £500 this appears to be half price and under a year old.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-galaxy-plus-disc-brakes-2014-/251510232606?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a8f2d961e

That's a tourer, a cyclocross bike will be a touch more aggressive and a bit lighter.

Like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannondale-Caad-X-Cyclocross-Bike-/231204848529?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35d4e20391

This one is totally hardcore, it only has one gear but it is a scandium aluminium alloy and at the moment is going stupidly cheap...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Major-Jake-Cyclocross-Single-Seed-CX-FSA-Hope-Kenda-Tektro-Formula-Shimano-/380871832305?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item58adbaf2f1

Motorbike ;)

As for me, caught up with my best man and his family, and a good few friends who we don't see enough of each other. A big gang of us had a good walk in the countryside on a friends estate, dogs and kids galore, and then the pub for a few beers.

And the wife drove home! A truly nice day :)

Managing to score some cheap Guard tanks has made me happy, that and listening to the BS being slung regarding the comments levied about us being a 'Christian country' yesterday.

Way to offend everyone in one go, but oddly it makes me laugh more than annoyed (it doesn't even make me annoyed) and it has kept me laughing while they comment about it on Radio 2 at work :P.

'FireKnife'

Am waiting for season 2 to be on the box set thing on sky as I missed the first half. Was considering a deathstroke paint job on one of those Ao2 masks myself.

Thats the plan, tbh. I'll get Heroshark to mesh the eyes over properly and then paint it, then its just a case of finding all of the various bits of armour...

Don't you mean Astra Militarum? :P

*fruitcage* that *suitcase*. Mine is the glorious Imperial Guard backed up by Storm Troopers!!! None of this poncy, false Latin naming stuff. :P

Though having found the tank company list with a tank that can instant death those stupid Wraithknights and Riptides that every man and his dog takes I am just going to have to sit back and laugh as it all goes boom. :D

Either way now I have to wait for them to arrive and that is going to be delayed (would help if they actually read my instructions and marked stuff as sent or gave me a reason why they are going to be delayed, ignoring Easter of course).

'FireKnife'

Archived