Battlefield 4

aznriptide859

Campaign doesn't look amazing, but then you can't judge anything by a trailer really.  I think it's got a good shot at improving fairly significantly over 3's single-player portion, but then it's only going to be a few hours long and I played BF3 online for a couple of hundred hours.

The MP isn't ever going to be the same (i,e. as good) as BF2 when the EA leash-holders are trying to break in to the CoD console audience, it simply isn't possible.  They lied about PC being the lead platform last time around, so we shall see what happens this time in terms of features for the multi-player.  Using the same engine should save them a ton of time and allow for bringing back commander, 6 man squads etc etc; in theory at least.  But then it's going to be pretty stunted technology wise by releasing on this generation of consoles (6-7 years old now?).  Either way, the multi-player matters most and they've not announced anything yet (except for perhaps naval combat) so everything is pure speculation until they release those details.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've recently finished playing Bad Company 1 and just started playing Bad Company 2 for the first time. Absolutely mint games. After playing a loaned Battlefield 3 game from a friend, I got bored half way through and went out and bought a second hand Bad Company 2 game.

I like the Bad Company games mainly due to the almost fully destructable environments and free roam gameplay.

Not too clued up on game type thingys. Can anyone recommend other games with near destructable environments and free roaming?

Very true that.  It does take a pretty crazy amount of processing power as well as many GBs of raw data to give the kind of destruction BC2 had.  The actual soldiers, weapons and vehicles were far less detailed in the Bad Company entries vs. BF proper.  That said they could probably save a a fair bit system resources if they did away with the optional camo on the uniforms.  I mean it was nice, but when you can only see the ends of your sleeves 99% of the time and there's no kill-cam was it really that important?  To this day it still doesn't even work correctly on PC, you choose your pattern and it just resets to default between rounds or when moving to a new server.  Rather have a couple more guns personally.

Very true that.  It does take a pretty crazy amount of processing power as well as many GBs of raw data to give the kind of destruction BC2 had.  The actual soldiers, weapons and vehicles were far less detailed in the Bad Company entries vs. BF proper.  That said they could probably save a a fair bit system resources if they did away with the optional camo on the uniforms.  I mean it was nice, but when you can only see the ends of your sleeves 99% of the time and there's no kill-cam was it really that important?  To this day it still doesn't even work correctly on PC, you choose your pattern and it just resets to default between rounds or when moving to a new server.  Rather have a couple more guns personally.

The whole reason for the camos (which are pointless and in the case of the black one, glitched originally (it made you nearly invisible on IR)) is to provide more unlocks to appeal to the CoD crowd. Likewise the fact that most of the unlocks on the guns are pointless, flashhider for example are there ANY modern assault rifles that DON'T actually have one? Or totally inappropriate, a taclight or LASER (dur it improves hip fire accuracy, er no it should provide an aimpoint and NOTHING more) on a bolt action sniper rifle for example.

The unlock system is stupid ALL unlocks should be available from the start for the weapon. And the list of unlocks should be appropriate and ACCURATE to the gun involved.

Well the models of the guns in game all do feature a muzzle device of some kind á la the RS, just for some reason the optional unlock slaps on VLTOR 'flower' hider on top that's 5x the size of the real thing.

I didn't mind the system too much overall, BF has never been about total realism so the option to add a laser (for example) which helped hip-fire accuracy but then might give you away to people you're aiming at seemed like a fairly reasonable feature for the player to weigh up and decide on.  If all it did was add a pointer with no other effects it'd seem rather redundant to my mind, you've already got a crosshair after all.  Bit more relevant if they added night maps with NVGs as with the SF expansion to BF2, with IR lights/lasers/strobes etc this time of course.  Not that I'm arguing for having them on the bolt-action rifles, that was pointless unless you tried to run about using them in CQB for some strange reason.

Not that I'm arguing for having them on the bolt-action rifles, that was pointless unless you tried to run about using them in CQB for some strange reason.

The 'strange reason' was the fact that a boltie with a straight pull bolt and a laser sight = one shot kill up close.

IMO if you AREN'T aiming there should be NOTHING on screen. This minor change would actually make lasers have a point other than 'let the enemy team know I'm aiming at them'. There are too many muppets sprinting along tunnels with the little red dot (or if its a taclight small thermonuclear explosion) wiggling on the wall in front of them and then being SURPRISED the enemy knew they were coming.

Like the three idiots on Metro that launched smoke, good idea that quite sensible, then ran into it with their lasers and taclights ON,leading to me going 'you silly silly boys' or words to that effect ;) Then lighting up the light sources through the smoke with my RPK. I actually got a message on XBL accusing me of hacking, I responded with 'turn your taclights and lasers off you tit' and he actually replied 'You can see them through smoke?' :rolleyes:

Were you only playing hardcore?  Because it did about 95% damage under about 15m whenever I played, but I never got 1-hit-killed by a boltie in vanilla mode with the exception of headshots.

I see the point about no super-imposed crosshairs, giving lasers a purpose, but surely people using them in ridiculously stupid ways that highlight themselves is a pro for you?  Wish people did silly stuff like that more when I played.

Were you only playing hardcore?  Because it did about 95% damage under about 15m whenever I played, but I never got 1-hit-killed by a boltie in vanilla mode with the exception of headshots.

I see the point about no super-imposed crosshairs, giving lasers a purpose, but surely people using them in ridiculously stupid ways that highlight themselves is a pro for you?  Wish people did silly stuff like that more when I played.

They tweaked some of the damage values on bolties, some of them do 120% damage point blank, some do 100%.

looks good, although I quite liked bf3's singleplayer. 

my concern however is that they will make it a bit like a movie with playing bits in between. If this is for a next gen console then I would of hoped for free roam and less linear play. There was a level in bf3 when you had a sniper rifle at night time that was quite fun - I got fairly immersed in sneaking around and I don't normally get that. there's gotta be a change from coordidor following and scripted blockbuster events (of which I'm sure there will be plenty in this)

The thing is tho we don't really NEED a single player campaign at all in BF4, it's not the bit people will buy the game for. So plowing money into it is pointless tbh and diverts funding, personnel and time from the MP which is the bit that DOES make money for them.

BC on the other hand benefits from a campaign, as they are always fun to play and quite funny, rather than the dour, short, BORING , uber-real campaign we got in BF3. There was also a feeling on my part that certain sections of the game were designed by different people (The Tehran night mission for example, infinite enemies ffs WHY?! The rest of the game didn't have them so why put it on that level?) and in general the campaign lacked coherence, the 'flying' section was basically a series of quicktime events i.e. SH*T!

Yeah they changed it, now there is a special 'upper chest' hitbox for sniper rifles (and shotgun slugs) that gives them a chance to one hit kill at 15 m or less. Not a fan personally.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Both. Maybe they're placeholder textures? The SKS looked a little flat - at least not all beat to hell like a lot of the guns in BF3 were. Would be a rather odd design choice to leave them on for the final product. Voice acting aside, though, I do like what seems to be the greatly expanded spotting voiceover range ("MG to your north" rather than "dude").

I was more distracted by the fact that a Russia vs. China map prominently features a bunch of American naval vessels, honestly.

i made a list of weapons that i saw in the gamescom footage, but im off to eurogamer so ill get to play then :D

edit: Updated with ALL known :)

Rifles:

AK12
M16A3
M416

AEK-971

SAR-21

cz-805

aug a3

Galil ACE 23

Famas (surbaissé model)

SCAR-H (assault now)

QBZ-95-1

Carbines:

Galil ACE 52 CQB

AK5C

ACW-R

G36C
M4A1
AKU-12

PDWs:
CZ-3A1 (could be carbine?)

P90

UMP45

UMP9

Mx4 (unknown really but 20 rnd mag, pistol cal)

PP-2000

CBJ-MS

PDWR

JS2

Sniper Rifles:

SV98

CS-LR4
SRR-61
M98B

JNG-90

M40A5

Scout Elite

338 Recon

Mk11 Mod 0

Special/Unknown:

RPG-7V2

Cheytac m-200 (seen on still image)
BARRETT .50 (not sure if boltie, spawns ON map)
BAYONETTE (customisable knives. others known of so far: Shank, ACB-90, Machete, 'Improvised' and M9 Knife)

Launchers:
Fim-92 Stinger

SA-18 Igla
M320
GP-30
M32 MGL

MBT-LAW

FGM-148 Javelin
Mk153 SMAW
FGM-172 SRAW

XM25

Pistols:

93R

G17
MP412 Rex
FN57
CZ-75

M9
G18
P226
QSZ-92
.44 Magnum
'Compact .45' (HK45C)

Shotguns:

QBS-09

USAS-12

Hawk-12g
M26 Mass
Saiga 12k
Serbu Super shorty
870MCS
Spas-12
DBV-12

DMRs:

M39 EMR
QBU-88
RFB
SKS
SVD-12
Galil ACE 53 SV
SCAR-H SV

LMGs:

U-100 Mk5

QBB-95-1

M240B

M249
PKP Pecheneg

QJY-88

MG4

RPK-12
LSAT

And these weapons will almost immediately be banned by private server owners

Launchers:
Fim-92 Stinger

SA-18 Igla
M320
GP-30
M32 MGL

MBT-LAW

FGM-148 Javelin
Mk153 SMAW
FGM-172 SRAW

XM25

Shotguns:

QBS-09

USAS-12

Hawk-12g
M26 Mass
Saiga 12k
Serbu Super shorty
870MCS
Spas-12
DBV-12

DMRs:

M39 EMR
QBU-88
RFB
SKS
SVD-12
Galil ACE 53 SV
SCAR-H SV

Because they will get killed by them, and their fragile egos can't have that.. Seriously, banning iglas/stingers on a map that is full of air power, or banning rpgs/smaws so you can hide in a cloud of smoke all bloody game  = 'WAAAH I CAN'T RAPE PEOPLE WITH IMPUNITY!!!'

Jaw.  Agape.

I was expecting there'd only be one or two elements per map that could change.  Simple alterations to terrain i.e. just stuff getting blown up which would always inevitably happen right near the start of every round because people would just rush to be 'the guy' who made the building fall down, so you'd end up playing the destroyed version all the time.  Very pleasantly surprising, I've seen other online shooters where you can shoot out lights or use lifts and other little things like that (quite often other BF games). but never personally seen anything quite like this in a large scale combat FPS.

Can't wait to play another buggy, unfinished game with half of the original content locked away because of DLC scumming.

Seriously, BF3 is still fun, but it's held back by extremely frustrating glitches which DICE can't seem to fix. I hope this won't repeat with BF4.

Hearing what they have done to the theme song yet again makes me sad.

How hard is it for them to just put this in?

The problem I see with this "Levelution" is that with hours of release, you will pretty much have fads/trends of how the environment will be used, such as "oh, whatever side does this first wins automatically" or "do this to make the other team ragequit".

Archived