How many magazines are too many?

AFV

Currently im packing 10 mid caps at 140rd capacity each and because i like my kit to be lightweight i find it easy for me to move quickly then people packing 15 mags.

So how many mags do you usually carry and how many would you say is too many? 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on a few things for me: mission, surroundings, ... Do you play full auto or semi only? CQB or woodland?

In CQB'ish games I have 3 midcaps (110 rds) on my rig and 1 in the gun. In woodland I tend to carry 2 more midcaps with me. 

I tend to carry 8 midcaps on the vest, 1 in the gat and 2 on my bag for when team mates run out (does happen in longer games).

On average I only use 5 in a game but there's been the odd intense game where I've been sat behind a crate bombing up after using them all.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I carry 5 38 round mags for my LM4, 3 in my JPC, 1 on my belt and 1 in the gun, as well as 3 1911 mags (one loaded, 2 on belt). 

Strangely, I rarely run out of ammo in the LM4, yet when I used to use AEG's and carry 10 midcaps I ran out a lot more often...

Heh, cutting down to less than 200 rounds is certainly a good way of improving that :P

Still, I think when I knew I had 1200 rounds, dumping a midcap full of .2's in the space of a minute to suppress one or two guys wasn't an issue, so I did it simply because I could.. Now my idea of suppressing fire is a double tap every now and then to remind the guy I'm still there!

4x 110mids on the rig plus perhaps one in the gun, typically. An additional 4 lows/mids/highs (depending on what I can beg or borrow that day) on a belt-mounted double-double M4 pouch for longer games. (Plus a single handgun mag.)

I don't really have a problem with people carrying any number of mags they want, so long as it doesn't lead into the whole "spray-and-pray", block-a-doorway-with-BBs mentality - and at that point walls of M4 triple shingles are probably the symptom, not the disease. IMO "too many" is more something for a player to decide for themselves, e.g. "when I go prone I look like a dying whale; maybe I have too many mags."

That being said, cutting down on mags really does make you learn how few rounds are required for even things like suppressive fire.

Depends on game and load out required/set by game rules.

Combo' might be:

1) 5 + 1 350 rounds M4 & 4 + 1 23 rounds KWA Glock 19

2) 10 + 1 130 rounds M4 & 5 + 1 26 rounds rounds TM Hicapa 4.3

3) 5 + 1 30 rounds M4 & 4 + 1 7 rounds TM 1911 (always load less in the 1911 during the cold times in the UK)

Just some of the load outs I have used.

I've got 11 mid caps (120 rounds) and 3 HICAPPA magazines. I usually take out 8 mags in pouches and one in the gun. I don't use all 8 but only use 4 at a time. It saves on having to walk back to the safe zone to remag. I carry speed loaders totalling about 500 rounds and reload if necessary. If I go through all 9 mags in one game then poo has hit the fan :-P . The remaining mags sit in the safe zone as spares should one fail or I don't have time to remag.

I used to have 12 hicaps for gz but that's another story for another time....

There is not such thing as too many mags! just not enough space to carry them all!

Nonsenses aside, I carry about 5 midcaps (120rds) an old lowcap (70rds) and two hicaps (350rds) for those times i run out of ammo in the midcaps and I need to keep shooting until I have time to reload the mids

Too many is just when the mags encumber the player more than they give firepower to him and his team, so while he can move freely and smoothly in the field while not running out of ammo too often, is a fine quantity

"Too many" i think really depends on your rig. i am using my issued combat assault vest which only holds 6 mags, but i play with 8, 5 30 rnds, 2 160 rnds and a 300 hicap. just means i have to stick 1 mag in the inside zip pocket. thinking i might switch to mids instead of lows, that way i can carry less mags.

I would normally carry 6 or 7 mids, depending on the gun and game

Generally speaking it's the usual 5x mid cap mags in vest +1 in the gun. I'd normally have 4x pistol magazines as well though.

I like it being possible to run out, and switching to a secondary (while still having enough ammo to play) - it just feels plain cool. You're nearly out, every shot has to count and it's just more exhilarating. As such I try to tow the line and carry just enough to be on the border so that it can happen, but not always. But hey, that's just how I enjoy my skirmishes :)   Each to their own!

I usually carry 8 mid caps and possibly 1 emergency hi cap depending on the site I play at. I also have 3 pistol mags which I rarely get through. I find 8 mids gives me ammo I need for a game but also saves me having to go back to the safe zone to bomb up again. I rarely use an emergency hi cap, I mainly used that at my local when it turned into an onslaught.

1 x Hi-cap in the MC and that usually lasts me most of the day. 3x USP mags on my belt and one in the USP.

If i'm playing some of the bigger sites in the UK then I will have my Vest on and usually 3xHi-caps but I never usually use them. At last years GZ weekender I used 2mags over the whole weekend. It's not that I don't get stuck in, I just never use auto.

I like to run a very light weight setup.

My minimum "combat load" is six 90-100 round mids, but I usually carry  8 mids - 7 in webbing + 1 in gun and secondary with 3 mags total. Depends on what game we're playing but I find this offers the best medium between being combat effective and not carrying too much ammo as to overload me.

I've never carried more as more often than not I simply didn't have the physical pouch space to fit them in my webbing, even when I was using MOLLE with a theoretical near-unlimited capacity for ammunition. Now that I'm using older ALICE-based webbing, I couldn't fit any more than 8, and I'm already double-stacking mags as it is.

Archived