How many magazines are too many?

AFV

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I typically roll 8 to 10 spares AR midcaps and two regular mags for the pistol. That's plenty of ammo for an extended skirmish, and I tend to lean on the trigger as well. I also indulge in a little milsim regardless of the game I'm at and try to carry no more than the equivalent of 10 pounds of real rifle ammo - that's roughly 10 AR mags or 6 AK-47 mags.

When literally every pouch and pocket is filled with mags or you have a hard time moving because you're too bulky or too heavy, that's when you know you're carrying too much ammo.

And like everyone else said, it depends on play style. There might be a time when you need to roll with as many mags as you can physically carry, knowing you're going to be as nimble as the Stay-Puft man on a hot New York City night, but dog-gone it if you're not gonna keep up a rate of fire that would put a minigun to shame.

I believe that ~10x standard caps (70rds) would be more than enough for even a big game. Assuming of course that you are allowed to reload them at the base, from supply crate/truck or smth. like that - don't like the idea of carrying a bag of BB's on me to reload the mags in the field (yep, I'm all about the realism :D)

And I really hate high-caps. In 7 years only used them once, when loaned an MP5 from a friend - he didn't have any other mag for it.

With my Vietnam loadouts I run 19x VN length M16 mags- mostly 190s....While I never do get through them all, it's an authentic amount of mags for a Grunt in the field, so works for me :)

Nineteen magazines? Some quick mental maths tells me that's approximately 4.3kg of ammunition and magazines - almost double the empty weight of an M16! How did soldiers carry nineteen individual magazines back then - a lot of webbing?

Nineteen magazines? Some quick mental maths tells me that's approximately 4.3kg of ammunition and magazines - almost double the empty weight of an M16! How did soldiers carry nineteen individual magazines back then - a lot of webbing?

4x M56 and a couple of bandoleers? Demoncase's loadouts are about as legit as it gets :)

Although given how little ammo some of you carry, I wonder how many play Airsoft, and how many just go for a walk in tactical gear??

I had to ask - that's almost triple the number of magazines carried today. Standard ammunition load these days is only seven magazines (210rds total, versus 380rds in demoncase's load) although I guess soldiers have a lot more 'other' gear to carry these days, so they can't carry as much ammunition.

And as for carrying a small amount of ammunition, I think it might be according to differing game styles. If you play CQB at The Mall, games don't last that long (at a guess, a maximum of 30-45 minutes) so carrying a ton of ammunition is just wasted load that slows you down and makes you noisy. If you do run low on ammunition (remember, even at my lightest GBBR-only load, I'm still carrying 120rds for my primary and 30rds for my secondary) you just pop into the safe zone and reload. If you're playing weekend-long events where the safezone is a twenty minute hike away, it might make sense to carry more.

As to going for a walk in tac gear, that's the very thing I'm trying to avoid - apart from a pistol holster, I don't wear any tac gear - no plate carrier, so SAAV, no webbing, nothing. My magazines go in my pockets where they stay warm.

4x M56 and a couple of bandoleers? Demoncase's loadouts are about as legit as it gets :)

Although given how little ammo some of you carry, I wonder how many play Airsoft, and how many just go for a walk in tactical gear??

I have 6x21rds. I still play and end up just getting close and hoping for the best. :P

And I wear about as little tactical gear as I can, though I see your point.

'FireKnife'

I prefer to aim, instead of just spraying 6 hicaps out over the field and hoping somebody gets hit

last game I ran a gas tec9 with 2 mags, and an XDm backup with a few mags, killed plenty of people, just dont shoot if you're not gonna hit them, cause then ur just pissing BBs away

Stealth and aggression equate to less rounds needed to accomplish more. I rarely see the guys I play with, who carry around 600 rounds at the ready, run out of ammo. The guys who run out of ammo are the ones with 1000s of rounds who just sit behind cover and try to hit guys at their maximum range all day.

Close with and destroy via plastic.

Ah yes... I keep forgetting players who use hicaps are incapable of tactics, aiming, or any of those amazingly complicated things ;)

Silly me :D

When I was a noob (yes we all were at one point, lets not be ashamed) My ideal rig was a chest rig with 10 hicaps and a boxmag on the gun. *shudders*

Nowadays, Im running 10 midcaps (yeah still a lot) But I only use like 2-3 a game. :)

though I see your point.

That's what she said.... I use six mags too for a pistol only loadout, the annoying thing is is that this is still heavier than an AEG user with six full hi caps :( Last game I did try using six mags for my Hi Capa and three for my 1911, it wasn't overly necessary. The weight was substantial but their size doesn't make them too cumbersome and plus you don't have the weight of an AEG. All I can say is that my dump pouch came into its own.

As for AEGs I normally go for around 4-5 mids and for my now rarely used SMG loadout I just use the four TMP mags I have and around three pistols mags.

Decimus.

Archived