Rare Arms Airsoft SR25 GBBR

Finbarqs

Just to chime in, I feel like playing using an AEG with HiCap mags is basically like playing "Baby's first airsoft". I have nothing in particular against Aegs on a technical level. The only thing that reall annoys me is that they dont stop firing when empty.

HiCaps though.. well.. Only thing i can say is learn to aim, and learn to set your sights correctly. Theres no excuse for this. Learn to aim and you dont need a mid or hi Cap mag.

I hear it all too damn often that someones gun isnt accurate, But theyve never even bothered to take it onto the field and adjust the sights or the hopup. theyve just left them wherever they were when they took it out of the box.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what it was! I was looking at it, thinking, what was that? O-ring makes sense.

As to the AEG versus GBBR argument, it's no contest. For actual gaming, GBBRs have precisely one advantage - trigger response - whereas AEGs have enormous advantages in magazine capacity, rate of fire, consistency (upon which accuracy is dependent), durability and stealth amongst many, many others. For sure, your first shot will come off faster, but after that the AEG has the advantage. (That said, both are trumped in ultimate ability by a Polar*.) The reason some people find GBBRs attractive is not their technical superiority, and the reason GBBRs can appear effective is that they're usually purchased by people who are already a substantial amount of investment (in both time and money) into airsoft, which means they can mitigate their weapon's shortfalls with ability.

Lol at the 1:00 mark of the table test, where an O-ring flys out and rolls on the table... back to the drawing board...

It's not exactly the first shell ejecting GBB SR25 that's been manufactured. There's a guy on Youtube (cksbb) who built one 6 years ago!

@ PureSilver

Ohh, you had to go and drop the Polar* bomb :) however, I'm going to challenge that appraisal. The two big gripes about the P* is 1) power source, and 2) connectivity to said power source. Major drawbacks that, IMHO, overshadow everything positive about the system. Add to that a complete lack of recoil and a need for an AEG chassis (therefore a lack of realism in terms of dimensions, parts and feel) and what you have is a bb hose that lacks feedback, character and ease of deployment (not many people have access to an industrial air compressor in their garden).

When it comes to the game AEG is still the king.

Horses for courses Inq! Owning a PolarStar, I can say for a fact that in the DMR role it's benefits far outweigh its drawbacks. It craps every AEG based DMR I've come across into a cocked hat. However, I wouldn't use it in a rifle or a support weapon...

Dead easy, I have a dive shop with a compressor five minutes drive up the road. Given that you only get a couple of thousand shots off a 48CI tank, it's not the best choice for support applications IMHO - unless you shoot at a Paintball site that can recharge HPA on site. Where it really works is when you to be able to play with almost every setting.

Ohh, you had to go and drop the Polar* bomb :) however, I'm going to challenge that appraisal. The two big gripes about the P* is 1) power source, and 2) connectivity to said power source. Major drawbacks that, IMHO, overshadow everything positive about the system. Add to that a complete lack of recoil and a need for an AEG chassis (therefore a lack of realism in terms of dimensions, parts and feel) and what you have is a bb hose that lacks feedback, character and ease of deployment (not many people have access to an industrial air compressor in their garden).

When it comes to the game AEG is still the king.

Nah, I don't agree at all. The Polar* has vastly superior reliability, makes much less noise, is much more consistent (and thus inherently more accurate) than a battery gearbox and it's much more readily adaptable to different playstyles. The other complaints - AEG dimensions and a lack of recoil - afflict almost all AEGs, too, and you can fit Polar* innards to RS-sized weapons (like this VFC HK416 conversion, for example). The lack of character isn't a downside for gaming; in fact, the soulless efficiency and reliability are a plus when all you need is BBs where and when you want them. Even the recoil is a distraction from that single-minded aim since it throws your shots off. The hose is apparently easily forgotten (why they don't route it through the sling point I don't understand) but even with it it's definitely the king of the airsoft game.

Would I own one? Hell no! The only people that trail hoses are firefighters, gardeners and dialysis patients; I am none of the above.

Given that you only get a couple of thousand shots off a 48CI tank, it's not the best choice for support applications IMHO - unless you shoot at a Paintball site that can recharge HPA on site. Where it really works is when you to be able to play with almost every setting.

Being able to adapt your gun to any style is another feature that crowns the Polar* as the best game gun IMO. And I agree with Inq Eisenhorn - the support role is where the Polar* should really shine, what with being immune to overheating and all that. The solution is obviously larger tanks, and multiples thereof, as certain other retailers have concluded:

Looks cool and like alot of fun, but yeah, shell ejection is what it is.

I hope WE brings out an SR25 GBBR soon :o (haters gonna hate)

Oh and good luck getting that thing thru customs and ATF in the US :P

@ PureSilver

I thought you said the VFC HK416 was not RS dimensions??? In the thread about Airsoft to RS comparisons.

Anyway, like I said, there are pluses to the P*, but only if you can overcome the hose and have a relatively easy time filling your tank. It's a big drawback to the system. If my gbbr or AEG battery runs out during a game I can get a recharge or buy extra gas relatively easy, you can't do that with a tank refil.

Hey, I wonder what volume of air / gas you could get in a fixed stock AR-15 / M16. :)

Later in the thread someone said VFC lowers will accept a RS upper receiver, but I'm not sure that's true of all VFC guns or entirely conclusive...  :unsure:

The problem with the RS size comparisons is no-one except the retailers have the necessary collection to actually test it, and it's not in their interest to admit that one gun is actually not 1:1 and have to give everyone refunds. And as to the volume of the fixed stock, not enough. They literally don't make HPA tanks small enough - wolfgeorge found an 8c.i. tank (that's about 100 shots, I think he said) wouldn't fit in the stock of his M82, and that's pretty cavernous by firearms standards.

If you can't charge a tank then you might not be in a position to charge a battery. In the end its a lot like a battery, just get a spare. Even support roles aren't all that bad, a dual tank setup and some proper tuning for air efficiency.  The hose is literally the most non-issue non issue of all non issues. Then again i'm biased in favor of my chosen gun. 

The problem in my opinion with a gbbr and to a greater extent, a shell ejecting gun, is that they seek to mimic a guns form and function to the hilt, but fall short when it comes to mimicking a guns effectiveness. I keep saying it, a 6mm bb does not equal a single round of 5.56. The strength in an aeg is its realistic(close too, more so than a gbbr) effectiveness. With full auto, some .3s and a well tuned gun, hitting anything within 100 meters is easy.

One could always get daytona gun to ring up a gbbr sr25. But at this point barring WE saving everyone. It looks like you guys might have to deal with shells. :P

I dunno about any other gas users, but jal3's entire list of AEG pros read as the exact reasons why I went gas guns only. 
I wonder what system this is based on if it's not proprietary, and its compatibility with other parts. Almost wish there was an 8mm version, but that's inconvenient.

To be honest, I play exclusively with GBBRs and VSR10s. Ive run both in both CQB and long range games. Ive never had a problem landing a shot exactly where I want it every time. If your shots arent going where you want, barring of course damage or malfunction, then the problem is you. Not the gun.

Ive never been outgunned in a match, even when I (frequently) use a scopeless VSR-10 in CQB. You simply adapt to the gun that you are using. Ive tried playing with AEGs using Hi-Caps. The game is unplayable with such a setup for me. It removes everything that makes it interesting.

More recently Ive really been tuning up my regular GBBrs. At the moment Im running a KJW 1022, a WE/Bushmaster Hybrid M727, and WE M16a4. using my VSR-10 as a standard, Ive managed to get all of them to closely match the range and accuracy of the VSR. I got rid of the KWA LM4 because I couldnt get the hopup to behave and reach out like the WE's VSR hopup does. Also the LM4 jammed. a lot. Given that, I could theoretically use a GBB SR25 in a game. I just wouldnt want to pick up shells, really. Thats a bit too much for me.

For reference, my standard loadout for a short (20 minute-ish) CQB game is 60-90 rounds, with an extra speedloader in my pocket just in case. I pick my shots, I hit just about everything I intend to, and I dont run out of ammo. Ive literally held entire sides of the field, alone, with a VSR-10 against multiple P* users coming at once (And caused at least one to ragequit). So I dont see whats so amazing about a polarstar if they couldnt even take out one VSR10 in a CQB match.

I can see a P* being great for LMG's. I think thats really its most fitting role. But then again, I still prefer the daytonagun m249s to anything with a p* in it.

If i had it my way I would blanket ban hi-caps. Especially drum mags on anything but SAWs

I really like this, if it proves reliable, accurate, solid range and the price is right then I might just get one.

I'd also buy a shell ejector and use it in a skirmish. It is so satisfying landing a single or double tap on an enemy where they have just expended 4000 rounds and hit nothing.

Especially when you managed to ruin hi-cap bummers with nothing but an MEU.

its kinda part of the reason i'm getting rid (or trying to) of my copy target pistol. the FPS is just inconsistent for what i would need out of it if i installed a hop up. though, its only about 40 FPS variance between shells. and i do keep the o'rings lubed and try to drop the BBs in it at a consistent depth.

• 4 months later...

Wow... Can't wait to pre-order.. I almost bought the Hakkatsu M700 shell ejecting rifle, but no recoil kind of killed it for me. If only they did the shell ejecting in that way (gas stored in the shell) imagine how awesome mags will be! No more "good mag bad mag" it'll all be reliable! Feeding wont be an issue anymore as well too!!! damn...

Archived