Don't claim to be someone you are not......

frogfish

Hello all,

Well this is time number two, and I'm in the process of locking or watermarking my public images, whats that line,

"fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

I awoke this morning to discover a fellow airsoft had stolen an image of myself (more specifically my kit) and submitted it as a picture of them self to an airsoft photo contest. Now I understand that sometimes people have cool kit, hell I oogle other kits like Feldjager's kit with envy sometimes, but never once does it come across my mind to steal an image of that individual and claim it as my self or my kit, I use it as a guide, I look at and I take time, effort, and often a lot of research to build a kit and develop it before I even use it.

I'm happy to help anyone who asks politely to develop a kit they want based on what I know, but when you cross that boundary of stealing my image or images thats a no-go in my book and I will do what I can to publicly shame you for doing so. No thats not bullying, that is teaching you a lesson.

If you are on here, fess up, apologize, and I'll forgive you, hell I'll even help you if I can.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's one thing to steal or "borrow" and image for a website, review, blog post or whatever. But for a contest or competition with prizes, that is low...

I had some of my images used. Last I saw a pic of my TM Glock 17 GEN3 in a WE Glock 17 GEN4 review :P

Glad it was resolved!

Wish I had good enough photography skillz for people to steal my stuff.  You know you're on the right track then.

But yeah, of the things in life that get under my skin, a combination of such blatant theft and dishonesty rolled in to one ranks pretty high up.  Sure I'm not the only one who feels the same.  Watermarking would definitely be the way forward I'd say, Stickman uses it and seems to work nicely for him.  He posted up on facebook a few weeks ago (I'm sure a few people here saw it) to detail the events whereby someone was passing off his photos as their own and the bloody massive 'sticker' the culprit had slapped over sticks' watermark was just pure comedy.

Yeah, watermarking goes a long way but its just not justified. Using my image in a blog, review, or just to post up is totally 100% fine, it is the internet and freedom of media yada yada, but claiming you are the individual or own the items in that photo is straight up wrong, and I'm glad members of the airsoft community were quick to respond and set the kid straight.

EDIT: As an aside the individual in question contacted me and apologized, I'm glad they are being mature about it.

LOL I know, thats how I learned my German kit!

Dave, I have seen it to, magazines here in the states rip off images all the time, its obnoxious, but as long as you are not a professional photographer it is just annoying rather than harmful. At least they aren't claiming to be you!

Does the US not have laws about using images without permission for monetary gain?

Dave, any photographer in the UK is the owner to the usage rights, professional or not, unless they agree to give up those rights and if a business like a magazine uses the image without permission, you can invoice them for a fee for the usage. I've had newspapers use my images before without permission, on the front page no less! Promptly looked up the NUJ guidelines for fees and sent a letter informing them that they had used the images without permission for monetary gain and with the letter I sent an invoice for the images used. They could try and dispute it but the end of the day, I had the master image, whereas they had a reduced size image nicked from the Internet and they paid up.

I found someone had submitted a picture of me to tactical news magazine on Facebook, they put it up and it currently has 1,156 likes and 80 shares

I'm miffed as to where they got the photo and my girlfriend was pretty as it's her photo, the magazine happily credited her for the photo, but it makes you wonder why someone did it

Sent from my phone using my fingers

I thought there was a thing about this a while back about fb and a couple of other sites introducing small print that took away your rights of photo proof if you posted up or shared a photo on their sites ... Basicaly if you took it out of your private part you agreed to their clauses if you made it public ...

Personally at the end of the day this is the internet, we all know this kind of thing goes on (if you don't why are you on here, quick give your details to that Nigerian king selling blue penis pills) and sadly there is little we can do about it.

If you put a picture on a social networking site then it is probably classed as theirs now and then others can take it and do what they want. It is like many others things.

As an example at work I have just had to make 400 charity DVDs, now I am sure someone could copy that and put it up on a torrent site or something. Now they are a tard and swindling a charity out of money so are also scum too but there is nothing I or the business I work for could really do so we just have to accept it and hope no-one is that much a piece of *suitcase* that they would do such a thing (seriously for charity, we are losing out of pocket here) but as we all know someone can and probably will.

In short yes it is despicable and immoral and probably illegal but what exactly can be done about it, the internet is bigger than any one person or group.

'FireKnife'

In short yes it is despicable and immoral and probably illegal but what exactly can be done about it

'FireKnife'

The internet is not exactly anonymous, it IS illegal and IPs are easily tracked.... doing something about it just takes the willingness to deal with a lawyer.

Really, I am sure if someone wants to remain hidden they can, with a system that has say a potential few billion users and you trying to find all of one person it is nowhere near easy.

However the fact they have posted it to a public competition shows that they clearly don't really care or are very stupid as they can't win without giving out enough info to catch them but then you have to prove that you are the original owner of the picture and many bank on the fact that they time and money taken to do so is just often not worth the effort at all.

Again it is not nice and it is idiotic but it is one of those things that either it is a stupid person that thinks they can get away with it but don't know how the world wide web works or it is someone that knows exactly what they are doing and you would be only wasting your own time sadly.

'FireKnife'

Ghost ip is not that hard to formulate , I know many people that use them . Especialy on some of the illegal torrents sites .

The trouble with posting up photos etc on various sites is that most people don't read the terms and conditions of that site before doing so . And in many cases you have unintentionally made your images public property . In those cases you have no editorial or ownership rights to them anymore .

Archived