Bamse - The grenade of the future

Bamsesoft

Hallå!

My name is Gustaf, and today i wish to present to you the result of years of work.

Grenades in Airsoft are great. They spice up the game, increase the dynamics and

break stalemates, especially indoors. The options are limited though. Gas-powered

grenades are expensive and bad, and pyrotecnic ones are both expensive, illegal

(at least in Sweden) and dangerous. (fire hazard among others)

To find a new way, one that is both safer, cheaper, legal and more accessible has

interested me for a long time, both from a technical perspective, and because i think

that airsoft will be more fun if everyone has a grenade in his pocket. I believe that

the key to this is to invent a grenade that anyone can create at a low cost from

materials that can be bought at regular stores.

After several years of work and testing of several different ideas and principles i have

now finished the project with a result that i call Bamse. Bamse is everything that i

aspired for. It is cheap, reusable, safe, legal, avaliable and easy to build.

So now i present to you; Bamse. In the following film i will show you how the grenade

works, in detail how to build it, and where to get the materials needed.

I hope that you appreciate Bamse, and that the free distribution of it leads to that

someone throws one at me some day.

Ha det bra! // Gustaf

Bamse: Presentation and how to build it

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v67761879dXQCDhqb

Bamse: Field testing (the site is still processing it, but it should work shortly)

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v67766292xfYZsGrc

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fantastic concept and indeed seems much safer to use than a lot of grenades out there at the moment. It's not got the heft to knock somebody out like a BFG, nor the ability to take off ones fingers like pyro possibly could.

Now to find the bits and bobs to create a few! :)

A big thank you for sharing this. It shows there is some true innovation out there in the homebrew world. :)

A fantastic concept and indeed seems much safer to use than a lot of grenades out there at the moment. It's not got the heft to knock somebody out like a BFG, nor the ability to take off ones fingers like pyro possibly could.

Now to find the bits and bobs to create a few! :)

A big thank you for sharing this. It shows there is some true innovation out there in the homebrew world. :)

Again, to re-iterate. After tons of whisky...

I bloody love the fact you can lash this into a room and no-one gets hurt. You can 'accidentally', as you've shown, let it go off in your hand, and no one gets hurt. It goes bang on time, and is cheap. It's an airsoft win.

And it's black, so the SAS are probably using these now.

Hello

Great to hear that you like the Bamse!

Some day i might break the decibel-meter out and test it, but subjectively i would say it makes about as much sound as a normal enola-grenade.

One thing is for sure though, its loud enough.

Regarding the bb-spreading;

As i say in the video, bb-spreading is extremely overrated. I just wrote a small essay on this on a Swedish forum, so ill just summarize:

Bb-spreading. At first thought it sounds brilliant, but when you really think about it, its pretty much pointless.

Bb-spreading is overrated. A good grenade spreads bb:s at max 5 metres, and in that velocity its almost impossible to sense a hit

anyway. They also get a bad spread, at least 200-300 bb:s per grenade would be needed for a descent spread. Just do a thought

experiment; Have a friend throw 5 bbs at you from two or three metres distance at the same time he shouts at the top of his

lungs. What do you notice? The silent bbs rattling off your clothes, or the loud, sudden noise?

But if you really really want bb-spreading, there are ways. Slip the mechanism into a condom, and put 40 bbs ito the membrane before

assembly. The condom will inflate inside the membrane, forcing the bbs against the inside walls. When the membrane

breaks, it will push the bb:s out.

Of course, this makes the bamse more expensive, more complicated to reload and both bigger and heavier at no

game-technical benefit, so please just dont bother.

This is very clever, sir! Your device is much safer than pyro grenades, and even safer than Thunder Bs due to its light weight. The Thunder Bs have heavy metal trigger mechanism, which could hurt someone if dropped from a certain height.

However, I would add some kind of safety mechanism, as there's possibility that one might accidentally puncture the CO2 cartridge while carrying your device in his pockets or pouches. I think carrying it in a PVC pipe might serve as a safety mechanism.

I am going to save my worn-out bicycle tubes for making Bamse grenades from now on.

Hello!

Funny you should mention it, several people on a swedish forum is asking about the same thing.

I actually designed a safety, but left it out of the film for simplicitys sake. I think that so much force is needed to activate them that a safety is unneccesary, but as people are asking for it, i will make a short instruction about how to add one in the next days.

Thanks for your feedback!

Archived