Airsoft Innovation Cyclone Impact Grenade

renegadecow

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, missed that part. Not an EX-41 but the original China Lake from the 60s.

Ah my mistake. I forget that the EX-41 is not the model you made. Nice job! I've always wanted to make a loose model of the China Lake. Similar look and action except I wanted to put the magazine tube on top and the barrel underneath. With that arrangement, I might make it easier to load the heavy 40mm shells because I'd have gravity assist and I can eject spent shells downwards which is also facilitated by gravity. I think that while the idea of the China Lake is pretty cool, I think that scaling up a Rem 870 isn't really the right approach to dealing with shells that big and heavy.

How much of an impact doe the Cyclone need to go off? One of the biggest problems with most of the impact BFG's is getting them to reliably go off in woodland sites and soft ground so I'd be interested in how they would work in that environment.

By the way MadMax, its good to get the people behind the product to be so open about stuff!

Cheers

B->

Cyclone has a generally more sensitive trigger than Tornado, but I have to admit that the design is less symetrically sensitive than Tornado's. With the 4 piece design of Tornado's trigger I get very similar sensitivity in all directions. With Cyclone there is a narrow dead spot where the impact assembly is less sensitive than Tornado's. Straight forward landing cleanly on the side is a less sensitive angle. On terrain like firm packed soil in a bunker, this is not an issue. A bad first landing pretty much always bounces and lands on a good angle. In grass you don't have the opportunity for a second bounce and even the first impact isn't very firm. I would throw more deliberately to assure triggering. Other than the one narrow deadspot in Cyclone's trigger, it is much more sensitive than Tornado because I could tweak the trigger to be sensitive enough to trigger during the throw. Holding the spoon down locks out the firing mechanism so I can make things more sensitive. Upon release, the grenade is armed for it's first impact.

Name on it in some permanent manor or a ribbon of material that unrolls once thrown as a locator.

Do you leave kit at the safe zone?

I leave nothing. I even park my vehicle far and away.

I build my kit to where I can pack it all in a 3 day pack then stuff my soft gun bag and "extras" in the bag. Use the sinch straps to make it small and toss it on.

• 2 weeks later...

So whats the diameter including the spoon? Anyone got a caliper handy?

I read about 44.3mm on my calipers around the spoon. Around 38.75mm around the main body without the calipers. Significantly greater around the lug ring.

I read about 44.3mm on my calipers around the spoon. Around 38.75mm around the main body without the calipers. Significantly greater around the lug ring.

Heard there was a delay in sending out the next batches in Toronto or so.. something about having to replace a part that was causing something to happen with the grenade?

X_X I want to buy naooo

So it could be launched with the pin removed as long as your barrel id is wider than the lug?. Obviously not from an airsoft m203 but maybe a pice of drain pipe with a gas shell in the bottom as a sort of morter. When it leaves the barrle the spoon will fly off arming the cyclone in flight. Just needs plenty of winter pipe insulation to make it impact safe. Or have j missed something?

Got this email from Redwolf today :(

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for purchasing from RedWolf Airsoft. Our records indicate that you have pre-ordered the Airsoft Innovation Cyclone Impact Grenade from us. We apologize for the delay in shipping your order.  The reason is Airsoft Innovations has discovered a minor design glitch that erodes the reliability and durability of the Cyclone.
In order to protect your experience as a user as well as ensuring you receive quality products from RedWolf, Airsoft Innovations has already redesigned a key component and expects to ship the Cyclone in February 2016. You may see some Cyclone Grenades in the market, which were part of the first 200 shipped globally that had this minor flaw.
The specific flaw relates to a part that may break on one use, or never at all. If you received one from the first batch, you may contact us for replacing the recalled part. We will ship you a reinforced replacement part as soon as we receive the shipment from Airsoft Innovation.

Got this email from Redwolf today :(

I think the :( should really be a :)

If AI found a design flaw at the last minute halting shipments until it is fixed is clearly the right thing to do imo rather than letting them go out and having to replace the parts later on and having potentially annoyed and/or dissapointed customers, offering reinforced replacements to those receiving the first 200 is also nice to see, good on AI I'd say.

If AI found a design flaw at the last minute halting shipments until it is fixed is clearly the right thing to do imo rather than letting them go out and having to replace the parts later on and having potentially annoyed and/or dissapointed customers, offering reinforced replacements to those receiving the first 200 is also nice to see, good on AI I'd say.

I suppose,

Just was hoping to use them for our indoor school series this winter :(

Might be worth checking to see if anyone else has them in stock? If you get one it souns like ai will send you the new part FOC.

Haha, they were literally ALL sold out when they stocked them online here. People were buying all that were in-stock.. granted all the suppliers only got about 10-20 each anyways. 

Is ok, I don't mind waiting :P

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh.

I did some pilot run tests which turned out to be insufficient in terms of units torture tested. I grabbed 5 units off of the line and put them through our throw testing against a cinder block wall and floor and they did fine.

Partway through production one of our welders went a bit wonky and started inconstently welding a part into the fuze head which caused the fuze heads to be less impact tolerant than we wanted. We had already started relasing small quantities to local retailers which got snapped up and put into play right away which turned up some very early failures. I got reports of these failures and got some of these units back quickly which revealed the inconsistency in weld strength. Basically the oring flange on the fuze head was breaking off too easily due to an inconsistent joining process. Some heads do just fine, enough fail much too early.

Not good news as it spoiled our launch, but we decided to pull back our major shipments until we could fix the issue. I put the process on a more sophisticated machine and ordered some quick mould rework and poured some big boxes of parts into the dumpster. Not a pretty sight, but the sporadic problem was bad enough to compel us to delay our major release of product. My design changes resulted in a small cascade of related changes to the product which wasn't fun, but we're back finally to dig ourselves out of our order backlog.

Not the way we want to do things, but sometimes it's hard for me to catch issues that turn up in larger runs of product. With some sweat I can make 5 things work really well, but that takes craftsmanship and a conceptual understanding of things. Firing up a production line capable of reliably cranking out thousands of a thing is another ballgame which requires a different mentality. Now I have to batch test speculative processes in the 50pc batches and do statistical analysis. It takes a different approach when shifting from anecdotal small volume tests to getting into assessing processes for much higher volumes. The Tornado was manufactured with much more easily understood processes. It was more modular in it's design. The Cyclone is a much more integrated product with many interrelated features. It's more economical because so many features are buried into injection moulded tooling, but it makes it more difficult to make independant adjustments, especially with the joining techniques we employ.

Back in the day when I did non airsoft product design, a mentor of mine used to say: "You can have it good, fast, or cheap. Pick two.". The Cyclone is the product of a 4.5yr design cycle and nearly 1.5yrs of manufacturing setup. It sure wasn't fast. I think it's pretty damn good at it's price point. I hope players end up appreciating the investment because this product was basically designed to exhaustion.

Picked one up one a few days after you released them! @Mach1 - Thanks!

Question though - Are the bottom caps supposed to be pretty tight to screw on? Assume it'll break in, I had to try 5 times or so, until I really forced it on (Was following the instructions with matching the tab stick out with the hole in the bottom) 

Picked one up one a few days after you released them! @Mach1 - Thanks!

Question though - Are the bottom caps supposed to be pretty tight to screw on? Assume it'll break in, I had to try 5 times or so, until I really forced it on (Was following the instructions with matching the tab stick out with the hole in the bottom) 

They do break in a bit, but unfortunately they do need to crank down a bit tight. The lug ring pulls the cap onto a gasket that needs a bit of crunch to seal.

Archived