Return of the old days?

bankz5152

As I mostly Marshall these days I get a lot of questions about guns and gear from new players and also established players that have played long enough to want to start a "proper" loadout I try and help as much as i can in the limited time but i always end with " are you on arnies? if not go on there there's loads of info on xyz"

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say I ever contemplated buying or selling actual RIFs on FB, but yeah as mentioned people wanting that are going to mostly go to Zero-In, not here.  Not really anything much of a loss, most of them are the types who just want RIFs without a defense and of course, as BS as the VCRA is, we're too small to do anything buy obey the law and do our best to police our own in order to protect RIF ownership as long as possible.  It'll probably go eventually because we're low hanging fruit that ripe for moronic politicians pandering to the moronic public at large, but we do what we can.

I had a bunch of notifications the other day telling me that the few FB selling groups I am in have all changed names and gone to 'secret' mode, which will kill them off eventually I'm pretty sure.  Facebook is based on throw-away content and disposable participation, it only works with a constant churn of new people coming through.  That younger/newer player group is mostly made up of folks that'll only play for a year or two at the very most, whereas if you're a forum regular you're probably in this game long haul.

I'm presuming you can still buy and sell camo and nylon gear on FB, so I'll continue doing that since the audience is fairly large.  From what I've heard thus far, their monitoring software is smart and regardless of the terminology used in a sales post, you will get a 24hr ban for posting up a RIF sale ad.  Whether their motivations for the entire thing (which mostly stem from real guns I'm sure) are entirely morally based, entirely polotically driven or a mixture of the two I don't know and what I can say with some strong certainty is that nobody here is besest drinking buds with Zuckerberg either; so I shan't speculate.  What's done is done.

I get that there's loads of numskulls on Zeroin but get off your high horses! There's plenty of Knobs on here as this place ain't what it once was and I doubt it ever will be as its not so niche as when it started. 

I've just checked it out after a couple of years off and as far as I can tell the main problem is there's to many people on there!  

Will the ever be said for this forum? I hope so but doubt it :0( 

Criticising Zero-In isn't high-horseing.  If I'd collected a compilation of the 'greatest hits' from that place over the years, there wouldn't be a soul on earth with more than 2 brain cells to rub together who'd argue that a lot of the user base is just a mess.  Nobody's claiming Arnies is perfect either and it isn't.  However the fact that the overall standard of knowledge here is higher is very much a demonstrable fact; but it's not even just that, it's people coming in and being willing to actually take some time to research things for themselves and be open to learning, constructive criticism and generally not slinging their own *suitcase* at each other inside the threads every 5 minutes.

Criticising Zero-In isn't high-horseing.  If I'd collected a compilation of the 'greatest hits' from that place over the years, there wouldn't be a soul on earth with more than 2 brain cells to rub together who'd argue that a lot of the user base is just a mess.  Nobody's claiming Arnies is perfect either and it isn't.  However the fact that the overall standard of knowledge here is higher is very much a demonstrable fact; but it's not even just that, it's people coming in and being willing to actually take some time to research things for themselves and be open to learning, constructive criticism and generally not slinging their own *suitcase* at each other inside the threads every 5 minutes.

My fault, your right and I'm wrong. I just made a mistake in thinking that Arnies and Zeroin are just one of the same but the only difference when its boiled down is Zeroin has more *suitcase* as its actually got more of everything!   If I could wade my way through all the irrelevant posts on here I'd find plenty of 'greatest hits' here to and most of them would be posted by the recent highest posters! :0)

Oh...the irony... must... resist... 

Anyway, as much as I love this forum, it's never my go-to place for selling things due to its low traffic further handicapped by the fact that the classified section requires 100 minimum posts, and at risk of sounding like a greedy douche, due to members also being more knowledgeable, it's much harder to sell things without a big cut to the asking price, where as places like ZeroIn or Facebook, it's not uncommon to actually make a tiny tiny profit on 2nd hand item. 

My fault, your right and I'm wrong. I just made a mistake in thinking that Arnies and Zeroin are just one of the same but the only difference when its boiled down is Zeroin has more *suitcase* as its actually got more of everything!   If I could wade my way through all the irrelevant posts on here I'd find plenty of 'greatest hits' here to and most of them would be posted by the recent highest posters! :0)

Being childish and sarcastic about it isn't exactly a surefire way to prove your point. I would've quite happily engaged in a grown-up discussion on the subject, but if that's the level you wish to stoop to, that's up to you.  Shame, but I'm not going to suffer any loss because of it.

Have a good night.

One day I will make it... Must *suitcase* post more!

Don't bother as its not like it used to be in the old days when you didn't even need 100 posts to use the Classifieds sections.Sales section has long since died a death on here:0( Besides its like the old adage states "its quality not quantity" that really counts when it comes to posting!  Arnies overall has more quality then other forums for sure but its only the negatives regarding Zeroin I keeping on hearing rather then the positives that get my goat up! We are all brothers in arms are we not and we should try to embrace and educate our fellow Airsofters should we not?  However naive they may be!

Some people take great umbrage at people opinions on here and are not happy unless the peoples opinions are aligned with theirs!

Lets just accept that when it comes to opinions we are all entitled our own and we should respect others even when pointing out the ours may be different?

Last few things Ive bought and sold have actually been on Arnies!

Over the years the only decent thread actually worth following on Zin is the bullpup SCAR thread.

It is filled with idiots, kids, ex paintballers and folk that think they are ex forces because they read Bravo Two Zero or watched Hurt Locker. These are just genuine observations. Zin to me is where you get the same kind of rubbish on FB but anonymous.

on my phone, my spelling will suck

With arnies, you get genuine sales. People see your ad, decide if it's right for them and a sale commences on or around the price you post. I, and most others take the time to write an accurate thread, with as much detail as possible.

With zeroin, say you're selling something pricey, like a heavily upgraded sniper rifle. You get

'wow nice sniper, will you take £20 and my neighbours cat? And also 2 tone? I'll get my mum to pay on her credit card.'

Or 'gun wanted, inbox me'.

I do use it for sales as you reach a large audience, and if I'm selling something, I want it to get to as many people as possible.

However, it is populated by hooting baboons who delight in flinging *suitcase* at each other as said, until heavy-handed moderation wades in and locks them all back into their laboratory cages.

The degeneration of threads into unintelligible drivel can happen within a couple of posts. It's scary.

As said, a lot of posters are young and uneducated (I would say in airsoft, but a lot seem uneducated in general), and demand instant answers, will not research and if you do offer help will usually ignore you or not even reply with 'thanks for everyone who helped me' type of thing.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great members on there, and a wealth of knowledge, but they are paddling like mad with lead weights around their waists just to keep their heads above the sea of *suitcase*.

Arnies may have its faults - I don't really think there are any though - but ignorant idiots and scammers do not last long here, unlike other forums...

I only use zeroin for buying but not had a problem... yet. The issue is that it is run by zero one which has the practical effect of not being able to link to their competitors and of course the lack of independence I think a forum needs.

Lots of internet communities die I guess.

Personally I am all in favour of opening up the sales section to new members here.

Well, I just copped a SEVEN day Facebook ban because I posted a *picture* of an RIF on someone's non-sale-format post asking for a pistol...

After my 3-day ban over the weekend for actually listing said RIF for sale...

So they escalate pretty quickly, and Literally *anything* is fair game.

Well yeah, there's no way they employ enough people to do any significant portion of their moderation manually, you'd need warehouses full of folks.

Have to say I'm still a little unclear on the rules.  Are we just not allowed to post any pictures of weapon-like things anywhere anymore?

lol bet you anything its all done by some kind of automated program. 

I can type "gun" into my Google Photo search and it finds all images I've ever taken with my phone of my airsoft stuff that looked like guns, including a gearbox. Both Facebook and Google are pretty good with their image recognition technology... 

Archived