Return of the old days?

bankz5152

Looks like FB is effectively banning Airsoft sales for the time being, which personally I think is a good thing but thats not the point.

With FB banning sales will we see a return to the old days? I.e lots of traffic again? Kind of like Arnies as it is, kind of like a quiet pub when only the regulars and a few others are left near closing lol that said more traffic is good for Arnies!

Thoughts?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Facebook; 

The Facebook Community Standards don’t allow attempts by unauthorized dealers to buy, sell or trade firearms. This includes:
?Rifles
?Shotguns
?Machine guns
?Handguns
?Pistols
?Revolvers
?Firearm receivers
?Antique guns
?Black powder firearms
?Muzzle-loading firearms
?BB guns
?Airsoft guns
?Air guns
?Air rifles
?Paintball markers
?Firearm replicas
?Non-functioning firearms
?Curios and relics
?Destructive devices such as bombs, grenades, rockets, missiles or mines
We understand that some of these items may not be legally regulated everywhere people use Facebook. In order to enforce our policies as fairly and consistently as possible, we use one broad set of standards for the entire Facebook community

Which in my head means any private sales are banned for those items.

Companies such as SAI or Agency Arms that operate almost exclusively on FB from what I can tell would be (IMO) "authorized dealers".

Doesn't appear they are banning anything gun related, like pages, groups or posts, but they will definitely be keeping an eye on those to scan for unauthorized sales.

For me, being straight-laced and all moral and *suitcase*, facebook allowed too many sales to folk who wanted RIFs, and seemed easy without a defence.

I'm happy for forums to take up that slack, as there - to me at least - seemed better checks.

Except for zeroin. That place is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. For sales.

And most other airsoft-related things. And non-airsoft related things.

And things in general.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/01/29/facebook-cracks-down-on-gun-sales/79543652/

Is a someone making a private sale a "dealer" though?

It's a moot point, I suppose, as FB has already started to close firearm (and airsoft) related groups.

Semantically speaking yes. But I don't think the words "authorized dealer" are supposed to be split up and just used as "dealer" :P

Looks like FB is effectively banning Airsoft sales for the time being, which personally I think is a good thing but thats not the point.

With FB banning sales will we see a return to the old days? I.e lots of traffic again? Kind of like Arnies as it is, kind of like a quiet pub when only the regulars and a few others are left near closing lol that said more traffic is good for Arnies!

Thoughts?

I would kind of agree but newcomers fleeing FB and wanting to join Arnies to access the sales forums will surely rapidly go elsewhere when they see they need 100 posts to qualify for entry in to the inner sanctum?

I think nitpicking over the exact wording of the Facebook ToS is a waste of time, for two key reasons:

• Facebook have made the desired effect - prohibiting the trading of firearms and firearms replicas on their platform - very plain by banning everything that looks like it might be even slightly related. Saying that you're not technically speaking 'a dealer' or whatever is beside the point; Facebook doesn't want to facilitate these kind of transactions in any way, shape or form, and doesn't care exactly how that aim is achieved.
  • Facebook is a private entity that is well within its rights to police its social network however it sees fit. This isn't the BATFE or the Supreme Court infringing on Second Amendment rights, this is Facebook telling you what you can and can't do in their house, and if you don't like the house rules, you're more than welcome to go back to your house and open your own social network, with blackjack, and hookers. You have no right to appeal their decision, and their decision is evidently that the wishes of the minority of people who wish to trade in weapons and weapon replicas do not override the wishes of Facebook not to expose themselves to the liability incurred by permitting such activities.

As to the overall outcome, I'm broadly in favour, TBH. Forums - even ZeroIn - are substantially better policed than Facebook groups, especially when it comes to VCRA compliance, and the effort required to get into a position where people will trust you on a forum is substantially higher than on Facebook. If anything, this crackdown should reduce the amount of people accessing weapons who shouldn't be. I also found the Facebook groups to be much more prone to pointless Internet drama than forums (and that's saying something) so I won't miss them at all.

I reckon the major beneficiary of all this is likely to be ZeroIn, but still - not bad news overall.

I think nitpicking over the exact wording of the Facebook ToS is a waste of time, for two key reasons:

• Facebook have made the desired effect - prohibiting the trading of firearms and firearms replicas on their platform - very plain by banning everything that looks like it might be even slightly related. Saying that you're not technically speaking 'a dealer' or whatever is beside the point; Facebook doesn't want to facilitate these kind of transactions in any way, shape or form, and doesn't care exactly how that aim is achieved.
  • Facebook is a private entity that is well within its rights to police its social network however it sees fit. This isn't the BATFE or the Supreme Court infringing on Second Amendment rights, this is Facebook telling you what you can and can't do in their house, and if you don't like the house rules, you're more than welcome to go back to your house and open your own social network, with blackjack, and hookers. You have no right to appeal their decision, and their decision is evidently that the wishes of the minority of people who wish to trade in weapons and weapon replicas do not override the wishes of Facebook not to expose themselves to the liability incurred by permitting such activities.
As to the overall outcome, I'm broadly in favour, TBH. Forums - even ZeroIn - are substantially better policed than Facebook groups, especially when it comes to VCRA compliance, and the effort required to get into a position where people will trust you on a forum is substantially higher than on Facebook. If anything, this crackdown should reduce the amount of people accessing weapons who shouldn't be. I also found the Facebook groups to be much more prone to pointless Internet drama than forums (and that's saying something) so I won't miss them at all.

I reckon the major beneficiary of all this is likely to be ZeroIn, but still - not bad news overall.

I love this post! Hahaha all too true.

While sales will go there for the most part, hopefully people should realise its full of twats and we shall get the ones that realise this lol.

Suppose id just be extra careful with sales now.

on my phone, my spelling will suck

To I also found the Facebook groups to be much more prone to pointless Internet drama than forums (and that's saying something) so I won't miss them at all.

Same here. I tend to only go on them to get a cheap laugh at idiots getting their panties in a bunch over such petty things

Except for zeroin. That place is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. 

You sure your not mistaking it with Mos Eisle?  Just remember "Han shot first”.

Back on topic i’m glad that we may know see a move back to forums, there designed specifically for what we have all been trying to turn FB into anyway.  Hell I reckon Airsoft in the UK and possibly a lot of the world would not exist as it does today without this very site.

You sure your not mistaking it with Mos Eisle?  Just remember "Han shot first”.

Back on topic i’m glad that we may know see a move back to forums, there designed specifically for what we have all been trying to turn FB into anyway.  Hell I reckon Airsoft in the UK and possibly a lot of the world would not exist as it does today without this very site.

I totally poached the quote.

Also, fully agree arnies is the dominating force in the airsoft galaxy!

Archived