STAR M249

umbra

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gearbox is a nice idea to experiment with and hey if it works... more power to them.

The gun has to be heavy. That's one of the things about a SAW gunner... you're weighed down with a 20 pound gun... A light SAW means more people will own them which means they'll lose their value and they'll just be another AEG. Every AEG I've owned I've made to be heavy... taking that away just defeats the purpose and the fun of it all...

Cost is another issue...

I was a bit apprehensive about the CA being only about $1000, it makes being that covetted... and expensive... role easier to attain which is just wrong. I'm all for stuff not costing money but morally... it just seems... wrong.

I mean... a saw in our woodland games has the FPS and the capacity advantage. Giving everyone the chance to get to that just makes it like a normal skirmish and loses that bit of realism.

Alex "Col Sanders"

hell, a mp5k and a c or box mag can become a supprot weapon in airsoft, so i think cheaper support weapons will actually increase realism. Which one would you prefer to be taken out by a mp5 or 249?

There's many a valid point being made and that just shows how subjective an issue it is. Some people want a support weapon but don't want the weight or expense, that's fair enough. Others (myself included) would rather anything in the support weapon class was heavier and more expensive so they don't become "ten a penny" on the skirmish field.

Also IMO at least with Hi-cap mags being the norm on the usual Sunday walk on, everyone in essence has a "support" weapon in their hands if only by the virtue of the sheer amount of ready use ammo the average player has. For me the differences between the various AEG classes has only truly come to the fore when I've taken part in Lo-cap magazine days. All rifle and SMG users are to a max ammo capacity of about 300 rounds per game. The support weapons gunners had more ammo but they also had to carry a weighted 200 round ammo box to simulate their greater load in real life. As far as the rifles and SMGs were concerned it meant that everyone had to work more closely together because they simply did not have to ammo supply on their own to hold up and entire area as they would have done being armed with Hi-caps. This is where the support weapon then showed its true worth with it actually being able to play its true role as the rifles and SMGs could no longer do it themselves. The games have been much more fluid, faster paced and more tactical to my mind with each player no longer being almost a "one man army"

It'll be an eternal debate though. The style of gameplay described above suits me down to the ground and I wish they happened more often. But I realise that many people out there would hate the idea and that's fine everyone's different after all. And where would we be without the usual Sunday mad BB fest after all? It's still damn good fun!

:)

good arguement. i agree.

SAW gunners shold HAVE to carry heavy guns.

it is simply not realistic for somebody carrying a SAW to be sprinting with somebody carrying an MP5, then bursting into a room, swinging the gun about taking everybody out, then slinging the 249 and pulling a pistol.

thats not to say i wont be TRYING it with my CA M249 :P

but isn't it mainly gonna be if someone likes the look they'll buy it not just because its lighter so i don't think that many people will buy them perhaps one or two will appear at every skirmish oh well, as i doubt that everyone will pick one up and if so they'll probably only use it every so often for fun....big deal.

punctuation is your friend.

I agree with weasel here, I've only ever seen two LMGs in airsoft, our site owners M60, and one of the lads from airsoft armoury's M249.

still, come september, all hell will break loose at gunman, with two residant SAWs. russian vs. yank, which will emerge the greater?

(russian of course, its full metal and wood. WOOD I TELL THEE!)

I happen to agree with evil. I believe it'll be a gun that many people talk about getting, but come that time, they'll pass. Another point someone brought up was in some ways, it will be increasing the realism. I've seen a fair amount of people carrying m-4s and mp-5s with drum/c mags, and when I ask them why, its always "because I can't afford a SAW."

However, like I said before, once this is released, I bet you'll only see 2 of these at most at a good day at a skirmish site.

I agree. There won't be that many showing up.

Yup ;)

Even if it is light weight its still bulky so its not going to be as easy to carry around as a normal AEG ^_^

I would still like to get one but with the VCRB i would prefer to spend my money on more tried and tested AEG's instead :)

Yup ;)

Even if it is light weight its still bulky so its not going to be as easy to carry around as a normal AEG ^_^

I would still like to get one but with the VCRB i would prefer to spend my money on more tried and tested AEG's instead :)

I dont know, i think this is going to be a trend and everyone is going to have one just like everyone and his dog has an armalite. I know if they are under 400 i will have one. Anything higher and its questionable.

:Dr_Evil:

I myself am unsure about getting one, I'd love one (well in theory i'd have to hold one to be certain), and my finances could jsut about stretch to it, but on a more practical side how often do i really take up a support role? also i've had muted threats of castration if i buy another gun.

for me this'll be a wait and see gun, if after a month or two they don't seem to have any major flaws then i'll take the plunge, maybe get it a flat and see it on the side at weekends :P

Cheers

Mig

To me, the weight argument is pointless... I have owned, and seen many a armalite that weight real close to the old TOP M249 with all the attachments and whatnot. I almost purposly make my guns weight more, but simply because it feels better that way. Then again I know an ex marine, who uses the TOP, and refrains from carrying it most the time because of the weight.

The argument on it being cheap and having more on the field being a bad thing also doesnt make much sense to me. You want realism? 1 out of every 5 marines in a fireteam carry a M249 or M240B. How's that? That said, maybe one out of 20 airsofters have a SAW capable weapon, even less use it, and even less than that can say its the only AEG they own.

That said, as an airsoft tech, I am intrigued by the plastic gearbox. I really hope it is as reliable as they say it should be. The 190% box sounds pretty snazzy. I think having it be in the $550 USD range and giving further options to upgrade certain parts into metal as the user wishes or as the local airsoft org requires is ideal. I will be interested to see how it fares.

My .2g

I presume all you "realism" fanatics only use lo caps, load your pistols with 7/15 rounds, etc?

*Goes off to plan dual-wielding STAR 249s*

Edit ~ Oh, and I play airsoft to have fun, not for realism. Sure it's nice to have realistic looking guns, but you're not gonna get realism from something throwing plastic balls.

:zorro:

Indeed.

I tend to like big, realistic, metal guns purely so that they don't break when I run into trees or go *albatross* over tit during a skirmish.

I'd be up for one of these if it was fairly rigid.

And if I hadn't got impatient and blown my "M249" funds on a TOP M60.

Archived