USMC VS Royal Marines

Intimidator

As rabidly patriotic as I am (I grew up reading of my Grandads exploits in WWII in the book Wings Over Olympus which mentions him by name a few times), I cannot believe that the L85 is better than anything and that includes its use as a paperweight.

Just chek out its entry in http://world.guns.ru/assault/as22-e.htm:

Given: the SUSAT is a cracking good sight, but apart from that its ######.  The M15/M16/M4 has its own special issues but is essentially a very good if a little short range weapon.

Now give the UK troops back the SLR and we would be unbeatable (with the added bonus of conserving ammo since its semi auto).

Erm not sure where worlds guns got there information but i know about 20 servicemen who have been engaged in Iraq and they have had no problems with the l85a2 I also know a weaponsmith at the RM HQ in Afganistan and he has only had problem if troops reasemble it differently such as putting the large blocky bit with the fireing pin in wrong.

Like it goes on to say later in that article that the l85 had all those manufactor problems. The l85a1 sorted all those problems however it still had problems. ALL of these were rectified by the l85a2. After 2 upgrades what we are left with is an amazingly accurate assault rifle. It is so accurate the army had to bring in a new marksmanship scheme because it was so accurate.

Seriously guys do not base your info on world guns because that is not even a picture of an sa80 carbinesa80carbine1jg.jpgThat is the picture of the sa80 carbine. It was rejected because it was deemed it sacrificed to much accuracy. The shorter weapon just was not needed and people kept buring their hands on the exposed barrel. So worlds guns need to get there facts straight.

Also you have not heard one problem in the media regarding the l85a2 i promise you. The only problem i have with it is the weight which is a bit much but still not that bad.

Cheers

Pariah :sheep:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a snipers point of view.

the two different forces are in respect both very effective fighting forces. but being british my oppion may lean more toward the RMCs.

RMC

has the longest training in NATO

the training takes place across the world, in all threaters of operation.

have some of /if not the best weapons of the two Marine parties.

much smaller fighting force

need royal navy, airforce and army resorces to function at best

own the coverted "green beret"

USMC

training takes place mainly in the USA

large fighting force

self contained, needing very little assistance

much larger budget

effective land based training

ok for the snipers prospect

the L96 is the best snipers rifle in the world being sold to somewhere in the range of 40 different countries.

the M40A3/A2 are also one of the best sniper rifles around. though personally not coming second.

the USMC Advanced sniper course is one/ if not the best sniper school in the world.

though british sniper courses are also very very highly sort after.

there is no doubt that both sides are good shots to say the lest but anyone can be taught to shoot well.

british snipers are just that tad bit better.

theres more i need to say but i want to go to bed :D

and yes the gurkhas are tough beggars. though some stories are possibly a bit over the top.

Well that killed the topic Doc......

It's a talent. Or a superpower. And like all superpowers, it should be used only for good.

Killing this topic was the least I could do.

(Seriously, I should have a medal for the amount of threads I've stumped, confused or just plain scared).

Imperial Guard FTW!!!!! i love my leman russes and i love my lasguns (dont laugh at them because they may be ###### but your gucci power armour wont save you from 100 las bolts)

LONG LIVE THE EMPOROR!!!

Someone Previously said that RMC is one of the most elite training courses in the world....

I counter with the phrase....

FRENCH LEGION

Not french, but they are barely and yes liiterally and easily killed in each training exercise. I have a friend that was once part of the Legion.

And another that just made it.

I know that in the late seventies a few USMC chaps visited a British Base in germany and did one day of Royal Marine recruit training, both physical and mental. They sturggled but passed.

The USMC gave the same courtesy to a few Royal Marines later that year, they also did a day of USMC training of physical and mental activities. result; they passed with flying colours.

Both are great units, but I'm british so ROYAL MARINES!!!

P.S. Imperial Guard may be the guardians of mankind, but they are only men. They cannot be expected to fight with the ferocity and divinity of the emperor's chosen...

The USMC are different to the RMC's because they are completely self-sufficient I guess. They have artillery, aircraft carriers, tanks, short-range bombers etc. There are a lot more of them, and though they aren't all trained to the same standard, they are still trained very well and are good at what they do.

A direct comparison is a bit redundant though, because RMC's are elite commandos. You can be in the USMC and be a cook or an engineer for example, so obviously not all US Marines are hardcore baby-eaters. You'd need to compare a particular brigade to really make it fair.

EDIT: I see that a few of us posted simultaneously, but it looks like mower and I are on the same tack.

Going along this example, I think it would be better to compare say the USMC's MFR or MEUs to the RMCs, rather than comparing a force to an elite group. But, then again, the US Marines have always been considered the largest specialized force, ironically with many specialized forces and groups inside it. I say this is like comparing apples to oranges. Its like comparing the Luftwaffe(please correct me if spelled wrong, its late) to the entire Japanese military back in 1943. So, why not compare the MEUs to the RM? Or MFR and RMC? That would probably be the best comparison, as they both do similar things and are similar sizes.

Royal Marines. I've yet to meet a US Marine (my roommate excluded) with an IQ over 80. However, that's only going off of a few people. I'm sure there are plenty of clever people in the USMC. I just only know liars and cowards. I imagine the Royal marines are somewhat better, but I have no arguements for either side. I'd like to meet a repectable member of the USMC. I need a new way of lookin at them. Instead of assuming they're all stupid, just based on a select few.

Aaron

<_<

Archived