Pistol - cocked or not?

Hissing_Sid

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I too never unload my pistol when moving to safe zone between games. If you have a good holster, that should be safety enough. And I trust my holsder as there is simply no way the mag release or the trigger is going to get hit, ever. If i'm out in the field I will unload my pistol the "fun" way if we decide the day is over. Otherwise I just leave it till I get home or pop the mag and eject the gas manually. Usually I'll decock too to prevent the hammer spring from wearing out.

I always carry my M1911 decocked, but with a chamber in the round. Feels soo much better when you draw it out and pull down the hammer with the same movement. ;)

Doesn't take any bit longer for me either, but I'm using an M7 hip holster, a relic compared to today's high speed gear.

Unless I'm using my SOCOM I always carry GBBs cocked in a game. As Sid said, the worst that can happen is that a stray BB hits someone, and we're always wearing goggles, so meh. Might as well keep it cocked.

There's no point in pre-cocking the socom as it uses the trigger pull to chamber a BB and fire it.

i always carry my pistol cocked, loaded and safety OFF.

its not going to hurt anybody other than me if it goes off in my vest, so i dont care. it also means as soon as i pull the gun i can fire, without switching a switch or pulling the slide.

instant.death.

I bet nobody has ever successfully drawn a Mk23 while under fire. :D

I have. but it is a pain... LOL i love the fear effect it puts in to some people though. you walk out and they see you slide it into the holster. most people just turn away and ignore it. but there is always that one who gets chills. of course he usually is the new comer.

Can you put a GLOCK 18 on safe? The fire selector doesn't have a safe setting as far as I know, and pulling out the front part of the trigger to prevent it being pulled isn't very easy to do and isn't reliable anyway.

yes set it to the middle slecter and drop mag rerack slide. this safteys it. on the aep version the "slide removel lever" on the right side acts as a safty.

I don't often use a pistol during a woodland skirmish anyway, only when I deliberately try to find an opportunity.

Mind you I had a laugh using a TM G18C AEP as a primary weapon.

1) Lie in a ditch/scrape with a bit of cam net over you.

2) Wait for you team mates to leg it.

3) When the opposing team have moved past shoot them all in the back side.

They jump about shouting "Were the *fruitcage*s that sniper". So you crawl out & have a good chuckle. I had a couple of guys digging out the ditch because they reckoned I must have hidden my AEG, they didn't believe the ROF on the pistol.

My M9 has the round in the chamber and the safety on. I also drop the mag out and drop the hammer, firing the first shot from double action. It actually don't bother me that I have to pull the trigger further as I'm used to it now. And I never just fire one shot at the target.

When entering the Safe Zone I always drop the mag out of the gun, but never discharged the BB from the chamber.

*edit* for my lame speling

My M9 has the round in the chamber and the safety on. I also drop the mag out and drop the hammer, firing the first shot from double action. It actually don't bother me that I have to pull the trigger further as I'm used to it now. And I never just fire one shot at the target.

When entering the Safe Zone I always drop the mag out of the gun, but never dicharged the BB from the chamber.

Well it can't actually discharge, I suppose it's habit for some of us who use real firearms as well.

Out of interest will leaving a GBB/NBB cocked for an extended period effect the springs or gas system unduly.

I empty out my lmags for storage and fire my AEG a couple of times on semi as a matter of course.

I carry my Para Ordinance with the hammer back but the safety on.

I carry my pocket sniper rifle with the hammer down and the slide release safety on.

I carry my VP70 with the safety off unless I have the stock fitted but normally the hammer is down (leading to a moment of panic while I wonder why it isn't firing.

The only teammate I can confirm the carry method for carries his 92FS with a round chambered and the safety/decocker on.

Clearing your safety is not something which takes sufficient time to make a difference.

I think most of the perceived problem with safeties is that they can get "wiped" on & off & you can't trust them (mainly a realsteel issue). So a lot of depts have SOP's preventing people carry their pistols with a round chambered. One reason I like Glocks is that there's no affirmative safety, although the H&K P7 is a better mechanical solution in some ways.

I think most of the perceived problem with safeties is that they can get "wiped" on & off & you can't trust them (mainly a realsteel issue). So a lot of depts have SOP's preventing people carry their pistols with a round chambered. One reason I like Glocks is that there's no affirmative safety, although the H&K P7 is a better mechanical solution in some ways.

Real steel safeties are not flimsy so they don't switch on and off that easily. The main reason for carrying with an empty chamber is that the people who use firearms lack proper amount of training in safe gun handling. The superiors at departments are clearing their backs by telling to carry with an empty chamber. Also racking the slide gives an extra step in the "ROE ladder", so firing the gun may not even be necessary because the target realizes you mean business.

-Sale

Real steel safeties are not flimsy so they don't switch on and off that easily. The main reason for carrying with an empty chamber is that the people who use firearms lack proper amount of training in safe gun handling. The superiors at departments are clearing their backs by telling to carry with an empty chamber. Also racking the slide gives an extra step in the "ROE ladder", so firing the gun may not even be necessary because the target realizes you mean business.

-Sale

Yeah truth in that. But would any of us do this:

Load a pistol, cock it and engage the safety.

Then holster it and run about.

Then draw it quick & stick it to our own head & pull the trigger

Relying on the safety still being on to save us.

Quite literally a no brainer.

No right thinking person would leave cocked & locked pistol wear a child could reach it and think "It's okay the safeties on". But sadly people have, even Police Officers.

Yeah truth in that. But would any of us do this:

Load a pistol, cock it and engage the safety.

Then holster it and run about.

Then draw it quick & stick it to our own head & pull the trigger

Relying on the safety still being on to save us.

Quite literally a no brainer.

No right thinking person would leave cocked & locked pistol wear a child could reach it and think "It's okay the safeties on". But sadly people have, even Police Officers.

You're absolutely right. Safe gun handling involves handling the gun as if it was loaded no matter if the safety is on or if it's unloaded. It's sad how a safety gives a false sense of security, and most gun accidents happen with guns that "were unloaded" and "had the safety on". Poor excuses in my book.

This is also a personal matter for me because I intend to have kids in the future but also keep guns at home. Even though I store them unloaded in a locked safe away from the ammunition, kids always find your keys no matter where you keep them. To be honest I don't trust even gun locks.

But like I said when it comes to carrying a loaded weapon or not, it's a matter of ignorant users, not the safety switch.

-Sale

• 9 months later...

Archived