My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

We have one of those louvre type non-sealing windows at ours. In the winter it was cold and draughty so what we did was get some self adhesive magnetised tape and fix a sheet of 3mm clear plastic over it.

The magnet tape holds on incredibly well as its been put around all 4 sides, and it allows the plastic to be taken off easily.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That, I can't help you with buddy. The GF's dad sourced it for us. 

I can try to find out for you though. I might even have a bit of the tape spare in the tool box, I'll have a butchers when I get home.

The only thing I can think of that would be effective would be to put a flat panel of something - ideally something transparent, like perspex - over the outside of the window, which would then have the hole for the exhaust hose.

The trick is, firstly, how to get such a sheet of plastic; secondly, how to secure it tight enough to stop breeze getting under it without damaging the window frame; and thirdly, how to do it without costing anything or taking ages.

I don't really know.

With the A/C unit on, it's a couple of degrees cooler than the other rooms, but I'm burning a tonne of electricity for minimal gain due to the open window.

Heh, I have this exact sort of a portable AC unit at work. Here's how they solved it here:

Since the windows are recessed and double, they came up with a narrow plank, some six or eight inches wide, that's as long as the window is tall. In the bottom part of the plank there's a hole for the exhaust hose. In the middle, there's a loop and two hooks bolted on, with an elastic luggage cord threaded through the loop. You open the window slightly, put the plank in the opening, loop one end of the luggage cord around the window handle on the closed side, then the other end around the window handle on the open side. I can snap photos if you want.

As for the things that annoy me: I want to punch all those idiot kids coming here and asking stupid questions before reading the relevant FAQs.

I was going to say bin bags and duct tape.  Not very helpbull, sorry.

So, the "gym" at my hotel doesn't have a squat rack.

WHAT

THE

VERY

*fruitcage*

You could get by with only a squat rack, an olympic bar and some plates and this place doesn't have one.

The free wifi is *suitcase* too.

#1stworldproblems

www.army.mod.uk/armyjobs?

Cheers, i meant to make the post tongue-in-cheek!

I fancy getting paid to *fruitcage* off all over the world doing cool sports, but I doubt the army would have me at my age...

The wife wouldn't be best pleased either :P

That could work - where do I get if and how much?

Perspex was b&q. Tape I only have about a metre left, but it's yours if you want it. Thought there was more, but that's because it's in 2 parts.

There's always the option of making a frame that covers the entire window out of a rectangle of 2x2 or similar.  Fix it to the wall with some of those command strips and then cover it with the secondary glazing film people fit in drafty old houses. Have a piece of board at the optimum height to secure the vent hose.

Second option which is perhaps not helpful as you have already got the AC but swap the AC unit for an evaporative cooler.  Cheaper to run and you could probably flog the AC on Gumtree very quickly.

I was going to say bin bags and duct tape.  Not very helpbull, sorry.

So, the "gym" at my hotel doesn't have a squat rack.

WHAT

THE

VERY

*fruitcage*

You could get by with only a squat rack, an olympic bar and some plates and this place doesn't have one.

The free wifi is *suitcase* too.

#1stworldproblems

*rolls into room*

Hey guys, been a while!

*dusts himself off*

Or even just the Olympic bar, plates.. Deadlifts as well as squats, all that you need, if you could only pick two exercises.

That's pretty common tbh. My work offers a subsidy on local gym membership but they don't even have olympic barbells let alone a squat rack...It's the same with quite a few gym I visited in London. Fortunatly I have a half price off virgin active with has loads of them and recently got elieko bars and bumpers and all that good stuff

Perspex was b&q. Tape I only have about a metre left, but it's yours if you want it. Thought there was more, but that's because it's in 2 parts.

Thanks for the kind offer, but 1 metre wouldn't be enough.

It's cooled off a little bit now, so the AC isn't struggling as badly. I think my Dad has some perspex in his garage, so if that's big enough I might look into fixing it over the outside of the window.

First World Problems indeed....

*fruitcage* knobbers on other forums wanting stuff.

I see their ad, post, send pics and prices and no *fruitcage* has the temerity to even reply, publicly or via PM.

I'm polite and my prices are decent - I just want shut of stuff, not trying to make a profit - and stupid little children don't even bother to reply.

Society is going to *suitcase*.

Tried with some of it, some hasn't gone due to market saturation. Like I said, I haven't posted it all yet, just frustrates me when you post in a 'wanted' thread and you don't even get a "no thanks, sorry".

I'm old school and grumpy.

Got tooth ache due to a chipped tooth. But that's not why I'm moaning. It's people suggesting I should just get it fixed, not realising I can't afford it at the minute (local NHS dentist has a dubious record). So, save up and just put up with the occasional pain. The good thing is I can't drink too much, due to the liquid getting into my tooth and giving my nerve a slap.

Keeping it secret from my wife, so that we don't use the holiday money (on fixing my tooth), is something that's making the same people mentioned above get a bit edgy. Some people think I'm being deceptive (which I am being, always liked the deceptacons more than the autobots), but am okay with that. Looking forward to a break with the wife and kiddies.

Sometimes (irony alert) I think people just like to moan.

Got tooth ache due to a chipped tooth. But that's not why I'm moaning. It's people suggesting I should just get it fixed, not realising I can't afford it at the minute (local NHS dentist has a dubious record). So, save up and just put up with the occasional pain. The good thing is I can't drink too much, due to the liquid getting into my tooth and giving my nerve a slap.

Keeping it secret from my wife, so that we don't use the holiday money (on fixing my tooth), is something that's making the same people mentioned above get a bit edgy. Some people think I'm being deceptive (which I am being, always liked the deceptacons more than the autobots), but am okay with that. Looking forward to a break with the wife and kiddies.

Sometimes (irony alert) I think people just like to moan.

If it was anything like mine the pain will go away for a bit... and then come back like the third Die Hard (in my case about 9 months later) So I reckon you can get away with it. A pain killer gel would be useful methinks. 

Archived