My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Interesting rant today, goes with my good thing in the "happy" thread.

People who think that joining the armed forces is stupid;

So myself and a friend where sitting on the bus on the way to football practice chatting about when we are both going to the recruitment office and giving the typical trade of insults when discussing it (he wants to join the Marines, I want to join the Armoured Corp). When the chav sitting in front of us turns around and says "Look at you two fools signing up, you're probably going to get blown up by some *racist comment about Muslims* while i get to sit home and watch TV 'cause im on benefits (or some other ###### like that) ". So we simply just ignored the *fruitcage* and started chatting about other ######.

So why are some people so idiotic/stubborn that they refuse to acknowledge that the armed forces will always be needed and that while they dont get alot of money for what they do, they still are doing more then sitting on a couch at home and living off benefits while doing *fruitcage* all to help themselves.

For some people it is stupid, for some people it isn't stupid.

Even if the guy is a chav he has a right to a different opinion to you.  In fact your choice to join the army is a choice to defend his right to that opinion by becoming the tool the government uses to carry out its foreign policy,

Also, corps always has an s on the end of it, even if it is singular because it isn't and English word.  It is derived from the French word for body, as in "body of men".

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way it always makes me laugh when people have a go at those that defend their choices, just they don't understand why.

I agree like all democratic countries we should have a standing army and it should be spent on by the tax payer but it should be in defence of our nation, Afghanistan is it's own nation and as such should deal with it's own issues, however I would support say a conflict in the Falklands as when they held a referendum the island voted almost 100% in favour of staying British and it is a British colony and island.

Doesn't help with the new Pope getting on his high horse about it all, being Argentinian. Where is The Emperor Old Pope? And why exactly did he quit?

'FireKnife'

Gunmane: Why does it sound like you don't enjoy anything?

I only properly enjoyed two subjects at school - one was Drama, and the other was D&T (AKA Resistant Materials, AKA Woodworking) because drama let me pretend to be someone else, and D&T let me make things, and see if i'd done something wrong, or got it right in a very quick and obvious way.

When i left school, i looked into doing a gunsmithing apprenticeship, because 1: guns! and 2: building things always appeals more to me than just being a keyboard monkey or pencil pusher (no offence to anyone in an office job, but i just can't hack it.)

Sadly, even though i lived in the middle of "GIT ORF MOI LAAAAAAAHND! norfolk, with (most likely) more shotguns than people, there weren't any, so i had to find something else to do.

Find something you enjoy. If you can do it for a living, great, if not, no worries, it's your 'me time' when you've had a ###### day at the work you don't love.

If you don't think you enjoy anything yet, try some things! sports, (with others or by yourself), standard hobbies like painting, drawing, knitting, sewing, making models, flying RC planes / helo's, driving (and the myriad sub-hobbies that exist within the umbrella of "cars").

So you don't enjoy anything. Find something you do.

TL;DR: Stop being a whiny *badgeress* and find something new to do :D;)

Again at my parents' house. The local internet connection is made from yarn and an old coat hanger. And of course at a time when probably nobody's out surfing the net in these parts, I can't get on Tumbler (even if I totally did before).

Went on eBay, typed in a quick search.

Something popped up that I really want with under a minute to go and really cheap.

Wow, I thought, that's cheap.  I stuck in what I was prepared to pay for it (a lot) and hit return with about 20 seconds to spare.

I got the sign in page. I AM ALREADY SIGNED IN YOU ELECTRONIC *bramston pickle*!

Missed it, it went for half of what I was prepared to pay.

Well *fruitcage* you ebay.

Back when ebay allowed knives I missed out on an incredibly rare RAF Aircrew knife with a proper blade that went for pennies as it wanted me to put in credit card card details as it was a knife...I feel your pain.

Always put your bid in before and then confirm it from the pop up box when you're ready to bid.

eBay *rickrolls* me off with that.

At the top of the page it says "high xxxx" with your name, and when you click buy, you get the login page. It knows its you, why the *fruitcage* have to sign in again?

To be sure to be sure ! Must have an Irish log in system on eBay .....

eBay *rickrolls* me off with that.

At the top of the page it says "high xxxx" with your name, and when you click buy, you get the login page. It knows its you, why the *fruitcage* have to sign in again?

Security, isn't it? What if you left your account logged in and someone else uses your computer - say a kid? They buy a tonne of stuff on your account, you're liable to pay for it.

Stunt - how slow is your internet connection if you had a minute to go and still couldn't log in with time to bid?

I use an automatic sniper service anyway, so my bid goes in with 5 seconds or so to go whether my PC is even turned on or not. Solves most problems...

Ah, but that should be the price for stupidity. I log in, and its only me with access (or my wife if she chose to).

I never log out either, yet still get asked for a login unless using an app.

Also, bid snipers! I've lost out on a few things due to this. I can see both sides to the choice of using them, but they take away the 'honour'. I remember when you had to time it and watch the auction end in a frenzy of bidding to get something. Now, you put a max bid in and get sniped when the price was a quarter of that until the end...

Security, isn't it? What if you left your account logged in and someone else uses your computer - say a kid? They buy a tonne of stuff on your account, you're liable to pay for it.

Stunt - how slow is your internet connection if you had a minute to go and still couldn't log in with time to bid?

I use an automatic sniper service anyway, so my bid goes in with 5 seconds or so to go whether my PC is even turned on or not. Solves most problems...

It was Ebay being slow, not me.

I have 50 Meg broadband and my average ping is sub 10 ms.

Also, I saw it with a minute to go, checked the auction to see if it was what I thought it was (it was) and not a picture of the item I wanted (it wasn't) and put my bid in with 20 seconds to spare.

I had been on earlier that day and done the same thing and I had not logged out.

Ebay screwed me and it screwed the guy who was selling it because he would have definitely got £2 more and possible twice as much.

There's another one on there now but it is already at a higher price since it comes with extras I don't really want.

Gnnnnnhhh

Too late to edit.

The thing I got screwed over on was a Custom Diver's tank/wing quick release coupling. 

I didn't specifically name it before because I didn't want to jinx it.

The one I missed was a standard set (male part plus female part), the one I got today was a standard set with a spare female part.

It allows for easy tank switching should you have two tanks.

The one I missed went for £70, I was prepared to pay up to £100; the retail price is £105.

The spare female part is £39 at retail.  I don't need one.

I got the one with the spare female part for £83, I don't need the spare part so if you look at it one way I ended up paying about £13 too much. Because of ebay.

However, if you consider that the one I missed went for 67% of its retail price and the one I got went for 58% of its retail price then I am doing OK.

Both of those prices are inclusive of postage too.  If I had bought it new I would have had to pay postage.

So, basically both the seller of the first one and I have come out of this worse off and the other seller has made a little more money.

Anyway, I got what I want so this is all first world problems eh?

Ah good old eBay, this is why I only sell on their now.

Though I did sell a game I nabbed for £5 for £12.50 and got rid of a few large shirts that someone got me cheap (I am a small / medium, so yeah well done them) but often only buy using Buy It Now, saves hassle even if I am paying a bit more.

As for my annoyance well it would be with Trainline, as they cocked up my GFs ticket purchase and then claim that they:

1. Can't refund us for the tickets as they are some advanced ticket, even though it was there mistake.

2. If we did want a refund it would cost them £10 to call their IT department and get it sorted which they would take off us

3. In the end I know have to buy a £28 railcard just to make the tickets valid and the GF is not in the best of moods to be dealing with this so wont just cancel the tickets and let me fight them over getting the cash back.

Especially seeing as this is causing the GF stress at a time when she is already ill and in pain due to medical reasons I am tempted to see if I can't get something from them for this, as it has affected her and it is taking the that they are in the wrong yet either way we are out at least £25-30 minimum due to a cock up they caused.

'FireKnife'

Also turns out the cinema at the missus' hometown is showing the best worst film ever made, The Room.

Now to get tickets booked and go see it, too bad all the next few showings are sold out, now where to get a long suit jacket, an American football, a small pug dog, a lank greasy hair wig and some cheap flowers. :P

If you don't know what I am talking about Google / Youtube / Download / Buy / Do Something that involves you finding out about this miracle of awesome fail.

'FireKnife'

No, the Twilight Saga are the worst films ever because they threw all that money at them and somehow tricked millions of people into going to see them but still had no integrity, decent actors, cultural relevance, decent cinematography or any other thing that could make a film good.

Worst Vampires Ever.

No, the Twilight Saga are the worst films ever because they threw all that money at them and somehow tricked millions of people into going to see them but still had no integrity, decent actors, cultural relevance, decent cinematography or any other thing that could make a film good.

Worst Vampires Ever.

1. You could insert a variety of films into that description, Transformers springs to mind, one of the most hated film series ever, yet so many millions went to see it. :P

2. That is not a vampire, this is a vampire:

dracula2x.jpg

Hell this is more of a vampire:

countsesamestreet.jpg

Plus by the sounds of it, he also gets more action than those idiots in that 'book that contains a Christian wedding and 'vampires' out in direct sunlight':

'FireKnife'

Archived