Do the British know the states in the US?

therazn

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just pasing on something a driver friend of mine told me, so don't bite my head off if it's wrong.

Apparently because in older cars the speedo meter can become irratic with age, the needle starts to twitch.

So they allow a 10% waver. Could be wrong, but this guy literally just passed his test. I could also see the twitch in his speedo, it was variating about 10mph every second.

a 10% waver? Is that "official" or just something dibble can use or abuse depending on his mood?

I believe it's to allow for possible inaccuracies in the speedometer/speed gun/convenience etc. If people got nicked for doing 31 in a 30, imagine the courts :P

I've had enough bad experiences walking on a bloody country road ( I *fruitcage* live in the country - do you <_< ?) nearly being killed by idiots breaking the speed limit, not even counting cycling.

I speak from experience. If anything, people should be going slower.

Now stfu!

I was walking by the side of the road, just on the edge of the grass, but alas there's no sidewalk/anything because this is a rural road. I was beside a bend the first time, walking up when some idiot builder comes round doing 65mph deciding to go FASTER as soon as he cleared the bend, nearly knocking me over (was getting dangerously close the the edge of the road/ overgrown side) . If he had been going slower he'd have had plenty of time to react and If he'd had common sense the whole bloody thing wouldn't have happened in the first place.

The second time was a Nova doing 70, just beside a tight spot on the grass verge (On a straight stretch, too - I was clearly visible)

A third time with a Audi of some description (Not up on my car types, really) deciding it'd be brilliant to do 60 in a blind corner.

By almost being killed, I mean almost being run over by bloody idiots thinking that the countryside is their little *fruitcage* playground, that no-one uses or that no-one'd be there. *fruitcage*tards.

You can drive? I thought you were 15?  :huh:

Yep to both.

I've had enough bad experiences walking on a bloody country road ( I *fruitcage* live in the country - do you <_< ?) nearly being killed by idiots breaking the speed limit, not even counting cycling.

I speak from experience. If anything, people should be going slower. 

Now stfu!

Yeah I do live in the country, just cos you've had some 'bad experiences' don't mean *beep* to me, bad drivers can kill no matter what speed they are going. Also I wouldn't count near misses, it doesn't matter till they hit you. ;)

My point is I'd feel perfectly safe driving at 100mph with my brother on country roads, because he's a good driver, because he's not stupid. He never speeds in villages or towns, and slows down going round blind corners.

The thing about cats, it's got nothing to do with speed, my brother hit a cat while 30 in the ourskirts of our village the other day. Just one fo those things decided to run across the road just as we went by. Had to finish the stupid thing with a skateboard.

Also whatever makes you think you have the right to tell me to stfu?

Why are you walking in the middle of the road?  How are you almost being killed?

As an American, I assume your roads look like this:

i-240_nc_wt_08.jpg

In the country here, some roads are unable to get two cars down; one of you has to reverse back to a passing place to let the other through. I live about 30 minutes from London, and there are roads here I wouldn't like to walk down :P

6CountryRoad.jpg

Yeah I do live in the country, just cos you've had some 'bad experiences' don't mean *beep* to me, bad drivers can kill no matter what speed they are going.  Also I wouldn't count near misses, it doesn't matter till they hit you. ;) 

The problem with that is, it's not only me -nearly everyone I know who lives here have either had bad experiences with people treating the countryside like their driving playground or have a close relation who has had a bad experience. You don't see Land rovers from the estates doing anything over 40-50 mph here, same with many of the people who live here. It's always people who don't live in the area, who think it's perfectly alright to go 60mph on our roads, who jeopardize practically everyone.

I know I may not change your mind, but when two of you get the same Idea that it'd be perfectly safe to do 60 heading towards each other on our roads, I'll be the first to point the finger and tell you 'I told you so' when the resultant crash happens.

Ok, i just drove to work at 05:30 in the morning today, down the A10 which you could class as a country road, its straight, its got lane markings some areas even have a path.

I'll quite happily admit to doing 65 down it. Admittedly when i get to the 40 zones for the towns i'll do 40 since thats where most of the danger is.

I think people are getting confused between country roads and country lanes. The one pictures by Doc_newstead is a country lane and your nuts to do anything much above 40 on those. A country road is just like any other single carrigeway and i know the speed limit is 60 but quite frankly hitting someone at 60 there dead and hitting someone at 65 there dead.

It'll increase your stopping distance by what, 2 meters and before anyone says "that 2 meters could be the difference between life and death" the stopping distance at 60MPH is 73 meters, if the thing your gonna hit hasn't noticed a cars screeching tires for 73 meters then i believe Darwins law should take effect on them....along with Newtons first law of motion.

Now i'm not saying speedings right, but at 05:30 on a sunday morning when the only thing on the roads are *FRUITCAGING* wood pigeons, wheres the harm.

See it enough times (Idiots speeding) to know / give fairly accurate guess.

hmmm...Not to sure about that, if you were trying to avoid the car I doubt you could estimate its speed to that accuracy.

While we're on it, I was walking on the out skirts of this town, I crossed the road and could see this car coming pretty slowly, so I start walking and the car speeds up, I had to jog accross the road to miss it, it was kinda scary.

Cheers.

That's what most country roads in the UK are, infact, that one is rather spacious compared to some of the ones around North Yorkshire.

Some of the 'roads' up to Lightfighter Bramham being some prime examples.

Anyway, I'm sure there was a topic around here somewhere.

The only thing I know about Britain/UK/England is the approximate location of London.

Australia—nothing. Europe...the general location of countries, but that's about it...:P

As far as the 'states, I could probably name about 25. Eh.

WTF?

You know the approx location of the capital of the country which:

a: Was once the head of the LARGEST EVER Empire.

b: Happens to be your closest ally.

c: In no small part help establish colonies in the Americas, and only because we over Taxed you guys did you descided to established your own country. (to cut a long story short)

One other thing England has always been a seperate country in its own right UK/Britian is the same thing. "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland."

What is the world coming to?

Archived