Do the British know the states in the US?

therazn

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was counting the ACT but the capital one was a trick question because it is canberra, but canberra really is a shithole, its one roundabout, the parliment building and the defence force headquarters, thats preatty much it... should be melbourne...

Note: Canberra is the only place in Australia where you can legally buy fireworks :mellow:

i was counting the ACT but the capital one was a trick question because it is canberra, but canberra really is a shithole, its one roundabout, the parliment building and the defence force headquarters, thats preatty much it... should be melbourne...

Note: Canberra is the only place in Australia where you can legally buy fireworks  :mellow:

They want you to blow up the said shithole.

:P

The only thing I know about Britain/UK/England is the approximate location of London.

Australia—nothing. Europe...the general location of countries, but that's about it...:P

As far as the 'states, I could probably name about 25. Eh.

EDIT: I found it. The Eurovision Song Contest has well prepared me for this :P

Well it's always educational to learn where the Balkan states are. :P

Iraqi provinces:

Dubya'd Quik yr'*albatross*

Nehevr Dunshoo'a'tin

B'hurn da'Infadel

Peckham

Sad Am Isde Gre-atest

Kurds'is Nehver gehtin' avote

Shown them the Union Jack or asked them what the words union jack stood for. The former is embarassing? The latter - who cares.

For a country that does a lot of invading -
The irony of a Brit posting this from Hong Kong gave me a chuckle.

------

Those map games are fun but not very indicative of state, province, or county knowledge. Because a chunk of it is the luck of the draw. Like a puzzle, if you draw edge pieces or pieces next to already places tiles its cake, but draw one smack dab in the middle and your score will suffer.

shown the union jack and asked what country it belongs to......that must be why an A10 bomber flew really low over our apc's with big union jacks on and bombed it, then turned round and had another go. and he must have seen it as the soldiers that were on the ground said he was flying low enough to see the pilot....so surely he was flying low enough to see our flags.

I did the European capitals one. Jesus, gaps in my knowledge, such shame, can't keep describing symptoms...

History shouldn't judge you too harshly. To most Europeans, it'll forever be 'that place Ayrton Senna died'. Not exactly something to print on the tourist flyers.

Except, of course, it wasn't.

He died at Imola which is in Italy...

Cheers

shown the union jack and asked what country it belongs to......

Yeah thats pretty pathetic. If you saw our public schools you'd know why. Makes me want to slap most teachers and parents I see. Although for a pilot not to know it is really bad, unless I'm mistaken pilots in the Air Farce need colleges degrees, just as they do in the Navy.

Except, of course, it wasn't.

He died at Imola which is in Italy...

Cheers

Oops. Hey wait, you mean Italy isn't the 38th state?

Which, sadly, you don't. The Americans kicked the British out with a healthy dose of French military support, thereby ensuring that Britain was reduced to controlling the exploited cloth and dye-makers of India, the next-to-useless people of Africa, the divided and cranky Canadians, and the Chinese whom they had laced with opiates. Meanwhile the Americans just laughed and drank their tariff-free tea. Meanwhile, us penal colonists (would that be shortened to penists?) just looked around and killed wild kangaroos with our bare hands for sport.

IRON-EYES?

The irony of a Brit posting this from Hong Kong gave me a chuckle.

Half English, Half Chinese.

And hey - we had our empire - you're building yours.

But at least we were somewhat honest about it - we went "Hello - Our country now. Have you a flag? Well then."

Not

"HELL YEAH LETS GET US SOME FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY IN THIS HERE COUNTRY!"

But at least we were somewhat honest about it - we went "Hello - Our country now. Have you a flag? Well then."

Not

"HELL YEAH LETS GET US SOME FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY IN THIS HERE COUNTRY!"

That's pretty goddamn ignorant. Britain had a pretense for all their invasions too. They'd do things like let christian missionaries go into obviously hostile countries, then have to mount full invasions to "rescue" them when the irate natives started killing them.

guys, chill it the smeg out- the history of UK expansionism really is no different to what the US is up to now, except imperialism is now a dirty word (pre-ww1-2, imperialism was not considered a bad thing by any of the western nations- just that, certainly post-ww2, it was seen as a bad idea, particularly by the US)

The UK believed it was civilising the fuzzy-wuzzies, or what ever, the US thinks its freeing the oppressed. Underneath both rationale, lies a whole bunch of less-than-impressive reasons, such as material wealth, sphere of influence, etc etc.

The terminology has changed, but the actuality remains very similar, so leave off on the whole "meh, my country's history is nobler than thou's", as its all pretty murky, when you get down to it.

ta.

yeah that was well said, and i agree.

nowadays us british can say that all these iraqi militants kidnapping and beheading innocent people is absolutely outrageous but a couple of hundred years ago we were no better. invading africa, india e.t.c.

the british army were not the proffesionals they are now.

Archived