Do the British know the states in the US?

therazn

hum. lets think.

i apologise for spelling errors but i have no idea how half your states are spelt.

first the big ones or satalites.

hawaii, texas, alaska.

then, new york, rhode island, new jersey (it is a state that isnt it?) vermont, virginia, massachusits, north carolina, south carolina, georgia, kentucky, arizona, california, iowa, colorado, missisipi, louisiana, florida, maine, illinois, navada, kentucky, alabama, new hampshire, navada, north dekota, indiana, new mexico, washington, utah...

i run out of steam there.

but then i can't name all the english counties so ner..

pete

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could name a few, but i really don't care. I know enough of the UK counties to get by, but i couldn't name them all either.

What i find weird about America is it's civil religion, Americanism. All this pledging allegiance, and love of country etc. Whereas in the UK, i was brought up to criticise the government on a diet of "private eye" and "have i got news for you."

Off the top of my head (not looking at previous posts or google):

Texas, California, Alaska, Wyoming, Nevada,

Arizona, Washington, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina,

Oregon, Tennessee, Louisiana, Maryland, Kentucky,

Massacheusets, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Idaho,

Ohio, Hawaii, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey,

Maine, Nebraska, Utah, Kansas, Pennsylvania,

Colorado, Georgia, North Dakota, Alabama, Vermont,

Rhode Island, Virginia, Florida, Mississippi, Indiana.

This might be 41 if there's such a state as South Dakota, but I wasn't sure. Also, is West Virginia still a seperate state from Virginia? If so, I can get 42 :)

Two things help: doing american civil war history in my last year of high school, and watching WWE :D Also I remember trying to list all 50 states with one of my flatmates last time there was a presidential election - we got 49.

Well, off the top of my head:

New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts - I made a research about those three for my novels.

Connecticut - Hartford, CT is where the Colt factory is.

Maryland - the Boring State. My friend used to live there.

Maine - Stephen King for teh win.

California, Florida, Texas, Nevada, Arizona - tourist magnets or something like it.

Washington - state's in the west, city's in the east. I just remembered that.

Iowa, Ohio, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Idaho, Kansas - somehow, I link them to rednecks. Can't explain why.

Louisiana, Georgia, Illinois, Virginia - I remember these three because of the more or less famous cities: New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago and Quantico.

Minnesota - got stuck in my mind after "Mc Gyver".

New Jersey, New Hampshire, Vermont - well, they clatter around my mind too. But I can't say I'm an "East Coast" type.

Pennsylvania - the Amish State.

Utah - well, I remember it only because I link it with "sandy a**hole full of mor(m)ons".

New Mexico - quite easy to memorize.

Alaska - remember "Roslyn's Cafe"? In Poland, the translators turned the title into "Przystanek Alaska" (Bus Stop Alaska) - beats me why. But now everyone here knows that Alaska is cold and they have Eskimos and moose there.

Anyone from the US going to step up? Without Googling or Wiki'ing, name the nations of the United Kingdom, not including Overseas Territories. Go on, prove me wrong.

Well I'll give it a shot but I'm probably way off-

Wales, Scotland, Great Britain, Northern Ireland, etc.

Probably just made a fool of myself :(

The day Americans realise there's a world outside their own border, and consuming 90% of the world resources single handedly isn't quite fair, I might make the effort to recall their states.

And incidentally Leeds is nowhere near London, and an assumption anything north of London is Scotland is not quite correct. :P:blink:

So close. And your mistake was slightly politically-biased as well :P

Well I tried :). I know the Canadian Provinces probably second best over the states. The countries that make up the UK....well never really studied them, just heard names thrown out there, so I grasped what I could from memory.

Damn, I got a higher score on the "place the states" game than I did on the "place the countries in Europe" game.

Edit: Yes, England :P. I remember watching a news report in which explained that the majority of americans believed that Great Britain was in western Europe, while the United Kingdom was somewhere in the middle east :blink:.

Damn, I got a higher score on the "place the states" game than I did on the "place the countries in Europe" game.

Edit: Yes, England :P. I remember watching a news report in which explained that the majority of americans believed that Great Britain was in western Europe, while the United Kingdom was somewhere in the middle east  :blink:.

They must be thinking of UAE when they thought UK was in the Middle East :usflag:. Man what is our country coming to??

Where is the link to this? Am I being obtuse here?

EDIT: I found it. The Eurovision Song Contest has well prepared me for this :P

EDITT: Moldova? Oh God, I apologise to all you Americans. Imperialism has clouded my tiny mind.

Archived