Basic Urban Skills Training

Steve Pearson

Look Steve, I've had quite a bit of military experience, and this is old news to me. Maybe where you were bought up, you had it soft, but we deal with this sort of thing day in, day out in Hertfordshire.

Now if you don't mind, I've got a serious bridge game to attend to, and I don't want 'the help' showing me up in front of Lord Dewkesbury again.

Considering the fact that most people are only exposed to ballistics before they go into the military by watching bullets bounce off everything but blades of grass in Walker, Texas Ranger, I can understand why some people might feel such a video would be nessesary. If I hadn't seen that video, I'd probably feel safe from a 7.62mm round while hiding behind brick or cinder block walls. Now I know better.

this is the exact point they are making in iraq (american military) they want 7.62 as most of the houses are just breezblock so its easier to sit outside and pepper the place.

pete

If thats the answer why don't they just drop a couple of 500lb bombs on it or use say a .50cal. :rolleyes:

Are you guys really telling me that people didn't know bullets can go through walls?

Jesus - too much hollywood.

Next you'll be telling me that cars don't automatically explode when they flip, and that windmilling my arms around really quickly won't help me dodge bullets.

Considering the fact that most people are only exposed to ballistics before they go into the military by watching bullets bounce off everything but blades of grass in Walker, Texas Ranger

Im sure that Ive seen blades of grass deflect bullets in John Wayne movies though... ;)

Im a bit worried though about the comment near the start. "an enemy that does not wear uniforms, who buy their weapons over the internet..." Theyre after the Airsoft Noob Army!!!

I also liked the "increasing our intelligence" bit. But I didnt have the soldiers in mind...but the US Government that abuses their military to fight for corporate profit...which lets face it is what US military intervention in EVERY single war from WW2 to the present has been about...

---

But on a lighter note...who else when they watched this had the same first reaction as me..."I wanna airsoft there!"

I loved the dry voice:

"Next the Marines used a SMAW rocket launcher to target a bunker at a range of 250m, as you can see the round passed through the sand bag outside wall and BLEW THE MERRY *fruitcage* OUT THE ENTIRE BUILDING!! YEEEHAW!"

Two points I really loved:

1) M40A1 sniper rifle:

"was directed against the plate glass window to indicate obvious danger when fighting in these conditions"

- what, the obvious "don't stand by the see through part of the building you moron" danger? Did that really need pointing out? Did they really need to clarify that see through substances don't count as concealment?

- nothing else is demonstrated against the window, and the M40A1 is not demonstrated against any other surface that everything else was.... eh?

2) M82:

"an M82 special application scope rifle was also tested. A single round from the M82 fired directly at the plywood wall penetrated the wall and..... "

- what, they didn't try it against the cinder blocks or the bricks?

so - why were the sniper rifles not tested against the cinder or brick walls? or were they and we're not allowed to see the result?

Smeg.

the M82 would have had the same effects as the M2HB .50cal.

the M40A1 would have had the same results as the FN MAG (M240G)

i suppose the point they were putting across with the window thing was that they are accurate and sniper-capable weapons.

perhaps.

Damn. I was expecting to see a line of marines stand up and give the building a magazine each - accompanied by M249s, M240 and .50 cals - then them going inside and seeing what had happened.

A bit less scientific - but a lot more fun!

CC

Well, the US Navy are going to be plenty ###### when they find out that rather than conduct this experiment at huge cost to the taxpayer, all they needed was to ask you guys to share the benefit of your experience with them. There'll be many an eggy face in the Pentagon this week...

Next week: Is ACU as awful as people say it is?

Archived