XM90 (Name Pending)

Donut

I would say that there is a 90% chance that the scope you will use will be way to powerful or not good enough to use practically for your baby. I would personally not justify having such a sexy gun and not getting kills because your optics where just not practical but “looked good”.

The project has everything you want- it not very long compared to its huge barrel length, is comfy, and has a straight feeding large magazine. You don’t want to make it impractical now with some crummy optics :(

I would go for the Red Dot in a heartbeat, that’s quick target acquisition and it looks half decent on a rail. Your problem will be putting that red dot closer to your face, since there is no way you are going to enjoy looking at it halfway down your baby’s length. Raise your rifle up and put the red dot on top and move it back and forth until you get an idea to where you want it. Its then that you will need to come up with some kind of T shaped rail to wrap around the sides of the P90 magazine and clip onto the body somehow. A gutted out G36 rail with a moddded reflex sight is also an option but would be a lot more difficult to work on (although I have one and could show you what it looks like).

Hope this helps some, Cheers and good work mate

Kov

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

p90idea1dk0.th.pngp90idea2do6.th.png

A bit sketchy, but these diagrams should give you the gist of my madness...

You said you'd like the rail/sights a bit further back. I'm just wondering if I made them too far back. Also, this configuration is mostly for right-handed shooters. The rail can be secured with one or two pieces left and right of the rail. But, having two will compromise reload ease and time.

I hope this helps, or gives you some sparking ideas.

-T0p

That's a very interesting idea... I've thought of putting it back, but not with that loading method. Wow, and here I was all set to go back to the old P90 style...

Thanks man, I'm going to play around with the designs tomorrow; it should be very interesting. The design also bolts right on the lower, so I won't need a locking pin...

I got a new element hop bucking today and installed it! YES! Finally an aftermarket bucking that fits! A little tight though. I'm going to test fire it tomorrow, hope it works *crosses fingers*

That mount is still TOO FAR BACK! I can't imagine how can you comforatably shoulder the gun *and* look through the sights in any sort of proper firing position, airsoft or otherwise!

Even though your gun is now significantly different looking then a standard P90, the P90 ergonomics *still apply.* Look where FN made the decision to place their red dot / rails--that is still going to be the most optimal place to locate any sort of sight.

Steve

Since I've only been giving (de)constructive criticism, I thought I should at least proffer an idea:

gallery_17063_1074_6737.jpg

Stil, I think the optics are going to be a little too low to use comforatably.

Front sight is from AK beta spetz and the rear from a G36C--

I think you are going to overcomplicate things if you impeed the magazine anymore then FN originally did--

Steve

No, having a rearward mounting sight is one thing, like some of these designs being offered, but having a sight that is *Impossible* to use is completely another. And thats what alot of these designs have been equalling up to, impossible to use.

Prefference is one thing, but practicality and function should still be the main considerations.

Steve

It is Donut's project though, so if he finds it comfortable and thinks it looks better then it's his decision.

Personally I think it would look awesome, and in airsoft it really doesn't matter if the sights are a little low.

We'll see how it works out in a mock up, the only thing I'm not sure about is reloading. It might be a little weird.

(Nice g3a4, by the way.  Love the slither stock G3's)

Thanks, I originally had a P90 so I thought I couldn't go for a full sized G3 without smacking trees with it as I ran.

Well, I came up with a few more ideas or improvements, but I don't think they'll alleviate all the issues that have arisen completely

p90stockextensionfz2.th.png

-To make shouldering the XM more comfortable/practical, one probably could get one of those stock extenders (Hurricane?) or find a way to increase the stock length. I think they're $20 (w/o shipping), but I think someone said the project was already over-budget.

-The rail could be extended over, towards the middle of the mag area. Still, I'm not too sure, but this may impede reloading and still not be the most comfortable to aim.

mausercarbinestocklessyw6.th.png

-If the rail is done as I pictured before (behind the mag), one might have to aim like one would aim with a Mauser Carbine, sans stock. This would mean, as you would normally, holding the foregrip area and the other on the trigger. But, you wouldn't shoulder it. You have to have almost an Isosceles (pistol) firing stance, with both arm stretched out and the stock not making contact with the shoulder. Still, this may prove to be tiresome because I believe the weight of a P90 is mostly in the back. Also, the G36 front might have countered this.

-If all else fails, you can try a few more options. You can try a side-mount configuration. You can also make it specifically a precision-fired weapon with sole use of scope and bipod (not likely) or support/cover-fire gunner with bipod. Or, you can learn to fire from the hip, but that's wouldn't be too fun.

I just test fired it; it shoots very smooth! The new bucking was an improvement, not as much as I'd like, but it's good enough for now; however, it does double feed once in a while <_< Gotta find out why...

*Adds to notes, "element hop-up works in P90's"*

Still got to do more barrel work...

Well, the gun is fairly balanced, due to the added length of the barrel and huge flashhider. Still a bit back heavy thuogh. This gun is mostly intended to be a hybrid of precision weapon/DMR (though I can't get a good hop-up in <_<) and assault rifle (high barrel length to overall length ratio, what other M4 sized gun has a 510mm barrel?)

So the 2x reddot is perfect for the role, some magnification while still usable for quick acquisition as an assult rifle.

Steve's idea isn't bad, but changes the style a little.

The gun is perfectly comfortable for me as is, so the stock extender is not needed.

Anyways, a few more designs... couple of the more practical and favored ones

I kind of like a carry handle... but it's not necessary, as I'd probably have an optic on it so it's useless.

xm90proto4cz7.jpg

Back to the original

xm90proto5mg6.jpg

Workable, but seems a little weird, kind of like a L85 carryhandle too far back...

xm90proto6ka8.jpg

Just a different style...

I resized the reddot a little; my original was out of scale, should be larger.

Well, I thought the original was too high, and too forward, plus it looked a little weird. But after I did a couple more uppers, I found out I was making it even higher; though it was further back, and much better.

I might go back to the original now, but the biggest question is... "Do I need BUIS?"

I doubt I'll really use it, but I do like the novelty of having it; it's fun to use it sometimes too, but if I do want it, then it's going to be hard to add it and make it look nice...

ARRRG, the dilemma!

Archived