XM90 (Name Pending)

Donut

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, here's a teaser pic, with the bi-pod

IMG_0015-4.jpg

I don't know... this design is a little off of what I wanted.

I initially redid the upper so I could have a longer and lower rail space. This makes it look a little better and longer, but I think it's even higher <_<

This is really bugging me, I might have to redesign it again. I've thought about changin other things like making custom P90 "short" mags (about 1/2 - 3/4 normal length, but it might be too much trouble.) I might have to go back to the original P90 style, maybe adopt the AUG style? or both?

ahhh, so you load the front from the side and slide the back in place afterwards?

then that would give you the perfect excuse to use a G36 scope carry handle (single scope or bundeswehr RDS+scope combo) or a G36c rail, but im not sure that would with in with the sleek styling of the gun quite so well

Erm..

Maybe a good concept, but making it out of Meccano looks ridiculous.

Well, this project is way over-budget... so this is the best, besides, I like DIY. Thuogh if I have the money I'd go and buy a G36 scoped carry handle.

may i say, one of the best custom pieces EVER in the history of guns

well, liking the look so far, was a tad disappointed about the removal of the thumbhole style sniper grip

would like to make a point though, the name, i know you said XM90 was name pending, but it makes out like its the next gen of XM8, i would go with something like P101 or P900 myself, but you could ad your own name/initials as a suffix as its entirely your own design and your the one who put the work in

as an option i would like to put forward.

The D-0NU7 MPAR (Multi purpose assault rifle)

wether you keep the name as XM90 or change it, this gun will always have a place in my heart and will always be refered to me as "The Donut"

may i say, one of the best custom pieces EVER in the history of guns

Whoah, whoah, whoah...it's a pretty cool gun yes...but the best EVER in the history of guns? ...I'm just a tad skeptical....

The P90, as ridiculously girly as it is ;) is a very practical weapon. He's just making it practical in a different (less girly) way. A more practical, practical if I may say so myself.

*chuckles*

About the short mags...Have you seen P90 box mags? They're shorter. You can add a large battery with them.

I think you should just get some flip up iron sights. The question is where...The front post is a good place, but I thinkl the back one may be too far back.

P.S. Sorry if any of this has been discussed, I haven't actually read through the entire 10 pages. (at least not the words :mellow: )

Whoah, whoah, whoah...it's a pretty cool gun yes...but the best EVER in the history of guns? ...I'm just a tad skeptical....

i base my presumption on having never seen a compact SMG turned ito a full length rifle, changing so much, yet staying somehow honest to the original, take the type 97 and the type 97 sniper, the only thing they share is they are bullpup. this guy has what is still visibly a P90 but is also a belivable sniper rifle

a good analogy would be, he has taken an existing gun and evolved it beyond levels of stupidity and succeded. a very rare feat.

the AR10 became the M16, the M1 Garand became the M14, the SMLE became the number4, and the P90 became the Donut!

I think I just figured it out! I was driving home when the idea hit me! How I could keep the long rail, lower it, and add iron sights! :D

I'm very excited right now. When I get time I'll play around with it and/or make some diagram/pictures.

EDIT: Here's my quick sketch. Obviously some parts need to be fiddled around and positioned with, but here's the general concept.

Ideda.jpg

The red blocks are the sights

The black bar is the new handle

The blue bar is the rail.

I admit... P90 is Girly. Of course, I am going to say this with full conviction that there's nothing girlier than Henrietta taking aim with her P90 on some baddies... :)

I personally found the Meccano High Handle better looking than this Lego Dual-Level rail... But it's still nifty.

I did a bit of Unholy Fusing (or is it fusioning?) and here's a thought.

XM90.jpg

What we've got in there is:

• A distorted AK 47 Scope Mount
  • ACOG 4x32
  • AMP DSR-1 Bipod
  • M-203 Grenade Launcher
  • M4 QD Suppressor

Obviously some of that lot would cost money, but I reckon both the Scope mount and the bipod mount (not the legs) could be made from sheet steel or aluminium. The M-203 could be faked up, and the Suppressor could be any that you happen to have.

lol, if i was rich donut i would buy a scope handle for you just to see this gun at its best lol. but im broke :(

i think an AK scope mount on one side would be a great idea. you would still be able to load from the side (althpough you could only load from one side) i would put the mount further forward than in that pic though, as if you still have to load verticly at all it looks a tad awkward. another benefit of this is that AK scope mounts are fairly minimalistic (keeping in style with the rest of the gun

it would be great if you could mod the loading system so you slotted the front of the mag in from the side and slid the rest of the mag swideways. from what i can see you currently have a loading system halfway between that and the traditional P90 vertical loading

as for sights how about something like this for the front sight

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?cat=Sights

(second one down)

I admit... P90 is Girly. Of course, I am going to say this with full conviction that there's nothing girlier than Henrietta taking aim with her P90 on some baddies... smile.gif

I personally found the Meccano High Handle better looking than this Lego Dual-Level rail... But it's still nifty.

That anime is one of the reasons I got a P90.

The new rail is just an idea at this point.

So what would be the point of the rail if anything mounted on it is blocked by the irons?

You'd need uber high mounts.

That's just a rough concept; it'd probably need to be a little higher. Basically I'm trying to compensate for the mounts on my optics, and the sights will be built into the rail, to keep it lower and flat.

lol, if i was rich donut i would buy a scope handle for you just to see this gun at its best lol. but im broke sad.gif

i think an AK scope mount on one side would be a great idea. you would still be able to load from the side (althpough you could only load from one side) i would put the mount further forward than in that pic though, as if you still have to load verticly at all it looks a tad awkward. another benefit of this is that AK scope mounts are fairly minimalistic (keeping in style with the rest of the gun

it would be great if you could mod the loading system so you slotted the front of the mag in from the side and slid the rest of the mag swideways. from what i can see you currently have a loading system halfway between that and the traditional P90 vertical loading

as for sights how about something like this for the front sight

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?cat=Sights

(second one down)

I really want the gun to be symmetrical, so a side mount is out of the question (nice suggestion though ;))

I could but I'm hesitant on making a new catch, as I'd probably have to mod every magazine, or worse... make my own magazine. But if I must, than I will.

As for sights, I really want HK416 sights, but money and form issues prevents it.

Something like these

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...FURS_cat_Sights

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...-228_cat_Sights

Hmm...the pictures from page 2 of this thread (I have 11 pages total, don't know how many others have) really seemed to capture the sleekness. The recent version just haven't seemed up to snuff. No offense, just my thoughts.

The handle/rail would be okay, but I wouldn't leave it open on the sides. Maybe a curved piece of sheet styrene on each side to cover up and to make it sleeker would be better.

Is it possible to put a rail barely raised off the top of the gun body, and then build a housing over it and put the BUIS on that?

Hmm...the pictures from page 2 of this thread (I have 11 pages total, don't know how many others have) really seemed to capture the sleekness.  The recent version just haven't seemed up to snuff.  No offense, just my thoughts.

The handle/rail would be okay, but I wouldn't leave it open on the sides.  Maybe a curved piece of sheet styrene on each side to cover up and to make it sleeker would be better.

Is it possible to put a rail barely raised off the top of the gun body, and then build a housing over it and put the BUIS on that?

I know what you mean, which was why it's so hard and taking so long...

Basically it needs to have

-a sleek profile

-a low rail

-long enough rail

-BUIS (detachable or non-detachable)

-Be able to reload ;)

-Look cool...

The reloading is not that big of a deal, it doesn't have to be really easy. This will most likely be more of a DMR, for close range I prefer the P90 or a pistol.

I'm brainstorming for designs, again... My last resort is to redo the lower receiver and magazine catch (which is looking pretty tempting, but it'll take a while)

EDIT:

Ok, here's your chance to show off those MS paint skills! Just kidding, but I do need your help...

Here's how,

Click

"Save image as"

Read

Edit

Post!

Maybe I'll even let the one with the best design pick a name! :P

I have an idea you can try, just for the heck of it. It'll keep the loading area clear and reloading quick and easy.

-You can try and put the rail/optics/sight placement on the side of the gun.

Strange, but unique and somewhat functional. Some (top-loading) guns/weapons are built this way.

-Bren, PTRD, AUG (sort of, its rail slopes slightly to one side. Maybe you can make a 'high-rise' rail that slopes to the left or right of the gun to keep the mag-zone clear. Also, it could start where the mag are begins and end at the end of the mag.) I'l get a diagram up in a sec...

p90ideavp6.th.png

-picture299254910275.jpg

BrenSight1.jpg

Great idea, Top spin.

I might have to do something like that or use a side mount if I can't do it my way, I kind of want it to be symmetrical.

Anyways, here are 3 designs I came up...

1st

xm90proto1gk9.jpg

Going back to its roots, the rail would have a little slot cut out for more mag clearance, but not too different from the start.

It's easy, streamline, tested, easy to reload, but a littl too forward and well... normal ;)

2nd

xm90proto2pk5.jpg

A bit different, the red are the sights, the rear sight being built into the handle, in a groove. The blue are rails, a short front one for most reddot/reflex, and a rear one for longer scopes, lasers, etc, or any combination. The rear sight will be under the rail.

A little harder to build, and still a little more hassle to reload, but still fits the bill.

3rd

xm90proto3jo0.jpg

Directly ripped off an AUGA1. Easiest, but limits the fun and scope options.

Inputs welcomed, or if you would like to submit a design. Click here

The rail is extending way too far on all three of those, isn't it?  There is no way you can comforatably look down the iron's of that second design.  Where is your cheak going to rest?

I like the second one the most. And I can think of loads of guns that are quite uncomfortable when using the iron sights. It all really depends on your build aswell so I don't think it matters that much.

I like the second one the most. And I can think of loads of guns that are quite uncomfortable when using the iron sights. It all really depends on your build aswell so I don't think it matters that much.

It's not that it would be uncomfortable to use, more like nigh impossible to use with the stock to your shoulder.

Donut, the best set up you had, in my opinion, was the Tri Rail mount, it's perfectly suited to the P90 body. I can, however, appreciate the desire to tinker and to try and make a truely unique gun, which you have, and kudos for doing it as well. With that in mind, I'd say design 1 is the best bet.

In the end do many of us use iron sights for airsoft anyway? The irons on my G3 are so far off, they're just ridiculous and the original iron sights on the p90 were awful anyway. I used to own one and I could never get my head around how they just cut some notches in the top RIS

I thought of the Aug sight before you did...I believe. Due to time and problems with the new image hosting, I had to wait before posting though...

fhuuifakhr.jpg

The first design I did, dunno what it would look like.

pvchwnwlib.jpg

Dunno how possible this is with the loading system. I don't even like the Aug and its scope, but it seems like a great solution here.

Note how I also filled in the part at the bottom of the stock.

It actually doesn't look that bad... the AUG is definitely one of the solutions; it works, and looks fine, but really boring.

As for comfort... well, maybe I'm a little weird, I'm fine with it (guess my neck is just shaped differently) I actually prefer it back instead of the front.

The original design (or my first painting) the sight is actually too far ahead for comfort. It's weird, but I guess the unique P90 design and the pistol grip just makes it easier to put the head back.

Realistically speaking, as it's been pointed out, I probably won't use irons very often, though I'd like it for the novelty and just in case (or for fun). They won't be very special, just pistol sights or crude ring sights at best.

Well, I might make 2 mounts then, one AUG type just for one scope, and a lower railed one. Arrrg, I don't know! I came all this way just to let a stupid rail stomp me <_<

Thanks for the inputs though, they really help.

P.S. Tecro, I left the stock like that on purpose...

Archived