The Complete Tanaka Thread

The Chef

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sirrith - Um from what I've read on previous pages you picked up one of the newer K98k's yeh? which came as 1j...? My question is when you fitted the g-conversion kit where you able to get it back up to the 1.8-2j mark again? As it seems this will be the path I'm taking...

A couple of questions about the M700 A.I.C.S.

1./ I've heard that some of them, after a certain date, have had their power reduced due to new Japanese laws. Is this true, and if so, how can you tell if yours is like this?

2./ What exact brand of gas do you all use in your rifles? I'm not really getting the power I want, will winter gas cure this?

3./ Is the G&G Powerpack hard to install?

Had my M700 A.I.C.S. since last August, and am loving it so far... The guy said it could do anywhere from 300 - 500(+!!) FPS out of the box, with the right gas.

Mine isn't, so I assume I have the wrong gas. I'm using the Ultra Air High Power gas, summer type (gree bottle!!). I've just ordered some American Eagle winter gas. Will this fix all my problems?

The gun doesn't seem to get the range I expected. It will match an AEG, but that's it. Will the gas fix this?

Thanks!!

Ben.

1: yes. you need to look in the gas nozzle (in the bolt) if it looks like its restricted halfway down, then it is.

2: Propane. good old coleman brand. works a treat. Winter Gas may give you a bit more, but its expensive, and that doesnt make me a happy camper.

3: Fiddly, but not difficult. If you have an ounce of technical noodle, it should be a doddle.

You shoudl definitely be able to outrange an AEG. I have just stuck in a custom nozzle into a mates NON-PCS'ed M24 and it cronoed at a whopping 650fps on propane. I shall be de-tuning that beast pronto.

A couple of questions about the M700 A.I.C.S. 

1./ I've heard that some of them, after a certain date, have had their power reduced due to new Japanese laws. Is this true, and if so, how can you tell if yours is like this? 

Thanks!! 

Ben. 

The latest batches of AICS have been coming through with a non adjustable bolts, :o due to the change in the Japanese law they would appear to have decided that they can revert back to a non adjustable restricted bolt for the one Joule, with the option for foreign buyers of knocking out the restriction.

This seems very short sighted on Tanakas part, and hopefully if enough overseas buyers complain they will be purswaded to change there mind. One of the main attractions of the Tanakas is the adjustable bolt.

Forunatly only one of our latest batch has this new bolt, and that was the black version. We hope they do not extend this to doing a way with the G Kar 98 version as well.

I doubt they will change it, the Jap Law expressly states that they cannot be made to fire over 1J. The PCS clearly allows this.

Oh well.... shame really, the PCS was fantastic. Hopefully some aftermarket PCS bolt will come out. Or custom nozzles all round.

I wouldnt hold your breath on the Kar98.... I can only see that going the same way.

I'll see what the performance is with the new winter gas.

I think, because of the weather here recently, it could be affecting its' performance.

Does anyone have pictures, as to what a normal A.I.C.S. PCS bolt looks like, and what one with a restricted nozzle looks like?

However, if I bought it last year, surely it shouldn't be one of those affected?

Thanks for all your help so far, guys!! Gas guns are definitely my fave, but SO annoying when they don't work how you want them to.

Ben.

If you look on Page 6, there are a couple of pictures of PCS bolts.

As far as I am led to believe the new restricted ones are just the same as the old non-pcs bolts, so they dont have the big square hole with the knurled twisty kno.b (just in case the filter tries to eat the word) inside it.

Thanks for the help!!

My M700 A.I.C.S.'s bolt looks like the one in the bottom picture, it has the knurled screw that allows you to adjust the P.C.S. (at least I think that's what it's there for!!).

Does this mean I have a normal A.I.C.S., or a restricted one?

Will post test results when I get this new gas through... Hopefully it will start performing like a sniper rifle, and stop being a single shot gas A.E.G.!!

Matthias, you're fine, thats normal.

Labyrinth. Not worth it on your AICS. its non-pcs, has a short nozzle and is just a step backwards from your PCS bolt.

The only thing you may need that it has, is the heavier cocking spring and the steel cocking piece, both of which come in the power pack.

Power pack replaces the spring in the bolt - making a stronger and more positive strike on the magazine striker plate. It also replaces the cocking piece...havnt worked out why they have done this yet - but I know that it is to match the spring in some way. The only result I have seen is that the cocking indicator sticks much further out than the previous one did when the rifle is ready to fire.

It also replaces the knock arm and plunger set to reduce any inconsistancies within the mags themselves. I have just installed mine and will be testing it today, along with the BGS hop-up rubbers.

Cool!!

Post the results, so I know whether to buy it or not!!

I love my rifle, but have so far been disappointed with its poor performance.

Hopefully, the new gas sorts everything out, but if not, I'm going to get on to Wolf Armouries.

Maybe I can swap the A.I.C.S. for an M700, or M40A1.

I don't really want to, though. I love the Vietnam aspect to the rifle, and I want to keep it. But I need all you to help me get the best out of it!!

Thanks!! Ben.

Right - another question to bug the community with!!

When trying to carry out the drilling on the M700 Hop-up unit, it got so hot that it actually warped :s I think I have fixed the problem with some selective squeezing and another go at the drilling, but I am finding that it requires more force that it previously did to cock the bolt - it feels stiffer but still do-able. Is this simply because the bgs hop rubbers form a much tighter seal around the nozzle, or is it because my hop-unit is complety f****d?!?!

Input, as always, appreciated :)

Matthais_31

Why is the Tanaka M24 more expensive than the M40A1? Are the internals actually any better or is it just a different quality stock? Are bolt action snipers any better that gas as far as accuracy and range? Do you have any tactics on using a Tanaka sniper? Also would I be able to handle an M40 or any other Tanaka for that matter if I can control an M14 (but nothing heavier or bigger) well enough for sniping but not CQB?

Archived