ARES GPMG/M240

Rogue Trooper

No their M60s were metal. They had ok externals too. It was the internals, the plastic gearbox, and that TERRIBLE boxmag that failed them.

On another front - what is with STAR and that damn twotoned front sight assembly jones they get going on? why cant they paint the damn things black like 99.99% of the combat weapons are? Its like with the M249s - I see black, I think "good", I see silver and I think "yup, a cheap pile".

I hope to Christ this isn't going to be a plastic fantastic like their M249 series, weren't their M60s also plastic?

M60 was aluminum.

Hoever, I think this is not going to be so great for skirmishing...

The real steel is used at a company level(?) and have to have a 2-man team...

Hopefully it won't be "full metal" like their L86 where its made of aluminium alloy and as soon as you bipod it the point of aim shifts.

Steel, and at least 10kg, is the only way it will do a GPMG replica any justice.

Even the CA249 which is at 7kg loaded still falls 2kg short of a real one and I can feel the difference there.

Kousnik: Yeah, I guess carrying 10kgs for a skirmish isn't fun, but I guess there are two sides to this reality.

In an ideal world (both in airsoft and in real life), we would all wish a GPMG weighs in at 2kg, looks like an M4, has no recoil and shoots like 2km, everyone would be carrying one.

However that is not the case :P

Generally I like "realism" in the equipment I carry. While realism (i.e. carrying a support weapon) doesn't give me any more FUN on the day, it gets me more immersed which then gets me acting more involved into the situation, which does add to the fun.

It would be disappointing to pick up an M249 that only weighs half the weight and is made of plastic, OR a GPMG/M60 weighing less than that of a M249 replica. I am sure most people would agree, else we would all buy plastic replicas.

So yeah, a GPMG replica needs to weigh in heavier than 10kg, at least with a barrel/lower body and bipod in steel.

Hillslam: I already did to some bits. I already have steel bipod pieces and magazine cover. the only thing not steel is the barrel, top cover (which isn't steel on the real steel anyways), the barrel mounting, and rear stock mounting.

I think the barrel being steel would give more weight but I haven't been able to find a steel airsoft M249 barrel.

And I need a RS bipod too, the CA one is on its way out.

Kousnik: Yeah, I guess carrying 10kgs for a skirmish isn't fun, but I guess there are two sides to this reality.

In an ideal world (both in airsoft and in real life), we would all wish a GPMG weighs in at 2kg, looks like an M4AK, has no recoil and shoots like 2km, everyone would be carrying one.

However that is not the case :P

Generally I like "realism" in the equipment I carry. While realism (i.e. carrying a support weapon) doesn't give me any more FUN on the day, it gets me more immersed which then gets me acting more involved into the situation, which does add to the fun.

It would be disappointing to pick up an M249 that only weighs half the weight and is made of plastic, OR a GPMG/M60 weighing less than that of a M249 replica. I am sure most people would agree, else we would all buy plastic replicas.

So yeah, a GPMG replica needs to weigh in heavier than 10kg, at least with a barrel/lower body and bipod in steel.

<snip>

I agree, I mean sure it can be a pain carrying a 7KG AUG and Grenade launcher combo around in a steep hilly game site is a good workout, but its half the fun, a really light GMPG would just be an epic disappointment. Although if the internals are anything like the M249 I'll pass as I have better wall hangers to throw money at...

I'm not sure he knows what he is talking about... Hungarian rules permit MGs up to 430fps/1.7 Joules, which means about 70-75 m effective range with a decent gun using .25.

It won't be a popular MG anyway because the size and ergonomics. Maybe for base defense and vehicles. And I guess Ares will not be shy when it comes to pricing.

M60 was aluminum.

Hoever, I think this is not going to be so great for skirmishing...

The real steel is used at a company level(?) and have to have a 2-man team...

From the adoption of the GPMG in the 1960s, until the introduction of the SA80 about 1990, the GPMG was the British Army's "squad automatic weapon". Each infantry section (US squad) of about 8 men had one.

The section generally operated as a Rifle Group of 5 riflemen with SLRs, led by the Section Commander (a Corporal), and a Gun Group of three, the number 1 on the GPMG who carried and fired it, the number 2 on the GPMG who had an SLR and helped with the ammo, and the Section 2ic in command (a Lance Corporal), also with an SLR. Everybody in the section would carry at least a 50-rd belt for the GPMG as well as his rifle mags. The only men in an infantry platoon who did not carry an SLR would be the no.1 on the platoon's three GPMGs and the radio operator and the no.1 on the "84" (the Carl Gustav) in Platoon HQ who carried SMGs (the Sterling); even the platoon commander carried an SLR.

In the advance, the Rifle Group would move forward while the Gun Group covered, then the RifleGroup would go to ground covering the Gun Group moving to another "overwatch (US not then British Army) terminology. In the assault, after the section had reacted to effective enemy fire, located the enemy and won the fire fight, the Gun Group would suppress the enemy while the Rifle Group moved off to a flank and then assaulted with grenades and rifle fire.

Anyway, to the point - for airsoft milsim, a GPMG is very much appropriate for SLR-era section-level combat. Even in the SA80 era, they still seem often to end up deployed well forward, tho I think they're now part of platoon HQ presumably with the light mortar and medium AT weapon.

Edit: looking at the ARES description, they say it's "full auto/semi"; never heard of a GPMG/FN MAG/M240 that could shoot in semi (tho IIRC you could "tune" the L7 using the gas regulator to get the RoF down eg for shooting competitions). Who'd want semi in a GPMG anyway???

Company level...is old coolwar stuff.

Even when i did my service 1993 we used the fnmag/ksp58 as a one man weapon-platform, and we were a 5-man reconteam.

These days the fnmag in Sweden is a groupweapon in many places.

I hope the price and weight is right........and I want a fnmag under 10kg!;)

Just for appetite increase:

http://www.drapers.be/ksp58hd.html

Archived