Your Worst Fear

SNOGER

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My only fear is being in a situation that I'm unable to affect, or just being completely helpless. Gah.

EXACTALLY!!!! I freaking cry when that kind of #### happens.

Back on topic though. I hate roaches... The ones we have here in Hawaii, fly around, move as fast as centipedes, and in general scare the living hell out of me more than centipedes... even though centipedes are much much more dangerous...

Edit:

ZOMG that spider is freaking scary!!!! Add that to my list of fears!

I have a really stupid phobia of ants, the things terrify me and yes I mean high pitched girly scream run way type fear.

Not a good thing when your out climbing and you see one and your roped to your mate who is 20 metres above you and your his safety heh

Bah, I'm too tired to argue with misfit on why he is wrong. Sledge, this one's all yours.

I can't be in the water with any boat larger than a 10 foot fishing boat around. Seriously, if you ever see me walking along a harbor with lots of larger boats in it I stay as close to the wall as possible for fear of falling in. Probably the scariest thing for me I could think of would be if I was in the water with one of those giant container ships going right by me.

Bah, I'm too tired to argue with misfit on why he is wrong. Sledge, this one's all yours.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...amelspider.html

http://www.camelspiders.net

Yes, definitely wrong.

//Edit: Oh, and here's a REAL Camel Spider bite.

spider-bite.jpg

The bite is not real.

Well I was going on what the title of the picture was when I opened it, and either way, the Camel Spider is pretty scary, regardless of whether it did that bite or not...

What really scares me is how people will instantly believe something sent to them in an email from a friend which was originally sent by a stranger, like:

Camel spiders (they're actually quite cuddly)

Email tracking by microsoft so Bill Gates can donate money to charity

Enlarged image of a napoleon mastif reported as the worlds largest english mastif

Muslim bloke drops wallet, friend of a friend picked it up and handed it back, Muslim bloke says "Thanks, don't be in London on x date"

That sort of thing.

Camel spiders (they're actually quite cuddly)

Sorry, can you clarify what you mean here please? Are you saying that Camel Spiders are quite cuddly?

Also, I noticed otherrandomhero viewed the thread yet didn't reply. Please, do argue with me about how I am wrong, as simply saying that someone is wrong and not backing yourself up is really quite stupid.

having kept a Close reletive of the Wind Scorpion (yes, notice it has 10 legs not 8, therefore of all its commmon names i choose this one, since scorpions also have 10 appendages) i can tell you this. they are not mean beasties, they are infact almost as placid as Imperial scorpions, you have to provoke the hell out of them to get them to attack

lifted from Wiki

"In the Middle East, it was once rumored among American and coalition military forces stationed there that Solifugae will feed on living human flesh. The story goes that the creature will inject some anaesthetizing venom into the exposed skin of its sleeping victim, then feed voraciously, leaving the victim to awaken with a gaping wound. Solifugae, however, do not produce such an anaesthetic, and they do not attack prey larger than themselves unless threatened. Other stories include tales of them leaping into the air, disemboweling camels, eerie hissing, screaming, and running alongside humvees; all of these tales are false, apparently told to new recruits in order to frighten them,"

actually Camel Spiders ARE quite cuddly, the bite is non lethal, and can be kept as a large inscty pet which you can train to accept being handled, and yes, cuddle it.

training is hard, ive got one of my Imperial Scorpions to accept it, and two of my Vinegaroons, so it isnt hard to imagine them being cuddled

The worst thing about a camel spider bite if you are in Iraq is the large chance of infection from sand getting into the wound, that's it.

I'm really sad otherrandomhero won't tell me how I'm wrong though. :<

Misfit and Bengali are both correct, Camel Spiders cannot run at 30mph, chase people, scream or inflict a large bite.

Those were made up to scare new recruits before they went to Iraq, camel spiders are infact as gentle and as docile as say your average Chilean Rose tarantula, (if you can train a camel spider to accept being handeld), and as Bengali said, you'd have to irritate the hell out of it to attack you.

They are known to get big, so yes you can cuddle them like you would cuddle your teddy at night. :P

My biggest fear.

Being bitten by either a Bazillian Wandering Spider or a Black Widow.

It's funny all the fears linked to the seas/oceans. As a diver, I know nothing that comes close to being 'alone' in the immensely blue sea. Of course you're never really alone, but I got lost a couple times... And photographers dive in small groups, and are a lot more independant than most divers, because we're absorbed by the camera more than the other divers we're with (which is actually dangerous).

As for sharks, they're amazing animals, really beautiful to look at. Of course I've never dived with Big Whites and such, but Black Tips and White Tips are incredibly nice to dive with, I actually perceived them as big fishes, rather than "Jaw" killers.

Related to diving, my biggest fear would be to have to deal with a guy under my responsability having a problem at great depth requiring to be surfaced ASAP. You never know how the quick pressure change will affect him or you, and even if there are treatments, having a guy diing while you are in charge is never a good experience (it happened to a friend of mine, he had trouble with the justice even if he was completely out of cause from the start).

Archived