Star/Ares AW338/DSR-1/CheyTac

aswaffield

My VSR can hit a running mouse from 300 meters. I spent $8000 on the rifle.

I don't have any proof at the moment, since I don't wanna spend $200 on a camera, but you can all trust me. :P

dood, you need to do some tuning on that rifle even a stock setup should be firing close to that have you tried using .12g? over 525fps they become more efficient than heavy rounds

• Replies 957
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sites don't trust people to have adjustable rigs, that can go to such dangerous levels of power. Also note, he said the basic rifle was $850, so it is expensive compared to other countries.

I can understand the concern that many event hosters might have with externally rigged replicas. I personally don't think it makes a difference considering that any big game should be able to accomidate a field check. External gas dosen't mean maliscious intent and I don't think a comitted airsofter will contradict the value of his extra expense.

PTWs, GBB/NBB, GBBRs w/ NPAS and most shotguns can all be misused to injure people very easily. NBB, GBB and GBBR users can refill mags with higher preassure gas. Shotgun velocity is sometimes relative to the amount of BBs in each shell, where 1 BB could exceed saftey regs. GBBs w/ NPAS and PTWs and be adjusted in field easily.

I think its very possible for someone to injure someone with a replica while misuing it but just because you have a hose connected to your replica doesn't mean you should be under suspision.

just my $.02

A decent sniper (or a skilled technician) can easily avoid (or pass) a field check.

I used externally powered guns for years, but I wouldn't allow them to anyone unless they are trustworthy, and know their guns inside out (to avoid reg. failures, pressure creeps/spikes, etc).

well mate did you get sorted with the mag ??

nope, its just been colecting dust since i got it... still need pictures of all the parts in the mag!!

first shot is 600fps, than it drops down to 550, and slowly creeps down from there...

dont impress me much:(

Sorry for double post, but I have some more information to add.

When I pull the trigger, I get a springy sound like that of a spring gun, but I don't hear any gas release. Sometimes gas is released, but it is very little so the BB doesn't travel far. Does this help in figuring out the problem?

Not sure if you've sorted this prob yet as i'm still working my way thro this thread, but heres an idea....

if you have completely stripped the bolt you/previous owner may have rebuilt if incorrectly. See Pic.

post-40017-1269816514_thumb.png

Loom at the bottom of the bolt when assembled, push the 'firing pin' all teh way forward and look into the hammer slot on the bottom of the bolt while you do so. If the 'Striker' slides off the hammer while it moves forward then its the wrong way round. >> dissassemble bolt, flip round part, reassemble, cross fingers and test....

Hope this is of some help.

Steve

MS Paint for the win! :)

• 2 weeks later...

remove the receiver from the stock, unscrew the outer barrel from the receiver. from here you can tap out the pin that the holds the screw block. then you can see the hop chamber and it's 2 screws. undo the screws and lift the innerbarrel/hopchamber out. undo the two grub screws on the side of the hop chamber and the innerbarrel and hop rubber will slide out the end of the chamber.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're talking about the AW338, There should be an adjustment grub screw on the bottom of the bolt that should be able to adjust how far the hammer pushes on the valve that might be able to adjust the velocity. That should be able to drop the velocity. Another possibility might be to get a shorter barrel. I'm not sure how much shorter it would need to be, but the length of the barrel I believe will make a noticeable difference in velocity with a gas gun.

Also, while you might be shooting below 2.3J (500fps with a .20g) with the .20g BB, you'll likely be shooting with more energy if you use a heavier BB.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (climber @ Mar 20 2010, 01:03 AM) nope, its just been colecting dust since i got it... still need pictures of all the parts in the mag!!

first shot is 600fps, than it drops down to 550, and slowly creeps down from there...

dont impress me much:(

Heres pics of mine !

aw338001-2.jpg

You see the part at the top wth the spring and oring? whats the correct orientation for installing this. I took the mag apart and rebuilt it but it no longer hold gas and I tihnk the holes in the mag mag not allign with the holes in that part. Any ideas how to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

not everywhere. i have a few places bookmarked on my other computer that still have them in stock. only thing is that computer is down at the moment and i have the bookmarks backed up on the internet and i cant access them until i get that computer back up and running. i found them by google searching for the magazine and looking at whatever link lead to its product page at a shop. there were only 3 out of 12 shops or so that had them, that i looked at anyway.

• 1 month later...

Got my AW338 2 weeks ago, took it down to my local and found it to be pumping out around 430fps with .36g bbs. Was able to hit a satellite dish (sky tv style) 4 shots in a row from 50 metres across and open field, with light to medium winds. The previous owner has obviously spent alot of time fettling the rifle before deciding to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived