Anyone else bit by the Military-Tough bug?

Hobbles

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hobbles- I've been considering joining the BP for awhile myself. I don't have any prior L.E. or military experience... just a bachelors degree.

I'm pretty sure I could pass the PT requirements and I've got a pretty clean record (no felonys) so how hard is it to get in?

Hey man,

Here's the time it took me - I got in just before the hiring push (everything is faster, easier, quicker now)

-Online quick questionaire...

-Tested 1 week later, involving "fake language" test or Spanish (if you already speak it)

-Got results, contacted for oral hiring board (get grilled by a couple agents about your decision making ability)

-Physical examination, super minor PT test

-scheduled for Academy...up to this point it was 6 months.

-Attended USBP Academy at FLETC in Artiesia, New Mexico --- 5 months.

(its shorter now, not sure how short...?)

-I'm still on my 2 year probation (been in 1 year, 7 months)

-Once you reach duty station you have a 4 month trainee program, which involved a 7/10 month law/spanish board --- but they eliminated those now.

I'm not going to lie, its a tough year pretty much...the academy is tough, not so much physically (though its not easy), but learning Spanish if you dont speak it, and getting all the law stuff down...you do march around etc. very paramilitary.

The job is a bit crazy (though you acclimate to stuff quite quickly), and you get paid better than most LEOs in the country. If you have a BA, you'll likely be able to start at a GS-7 paygrade (its what I did, I make GS-11 next month).

No one fails physically (unless you're obese), but a lot of guys get fired for violations, and stupid decision making, for example if you get a DUI or something while you're on probation, you're gone etc.

Any more questions, just PM me.

ps: I just ordered a tacgear softshell from a guy in Germany on ebay...and GOT DESTROYED by the conversion rate... I should have looked first...this better be the best jacket in the f-ing world. :-( Oh well...I need it for work anyway...

(frowns)

I take the wimp approach... yes, I expect to be attacked. Therefore, when somebody takes my pants, there's nothing of value in them.

OK, seriously... beat up Nokia, 2 layer swiss army knife, wallet and belt from Ross (OEM clothes, pretty much). Keys and a pen.

If I need defense, I can kill somebody with the Nokia.

Hey man,

Here's the time it took me - I got in just before the hiring push (everything is faster, easier, quicker now)

-Online quick questionaire...

-Tested 1 week later, involving "fake language" test or Spanish (if you already speak it)

-Got results, contacted for oral hiring board (get grilled by a couple agents about your decision making ability)

-Physical examination, super minor PT test

-scheduled for Academy...up to this point it was 6 months.

-Attended USBP Academy at FLETC in Artiesia, New Mexico --- 5 months.

(its shorter now, not sure how short...?)

-I'm still on my 2 year probation (been in 1 year, 7 months)

-Once you reach duty station you have a 4 month trainee program, which involved a 7/10 month law/spanish board --- but they eliminated those now.

I'm not going to lie, its a tough year pretty much...the academy is tough, not so much physically (though its not easy), but learning Spanish if you dont speak it, and getting all the law stuff down...you do march around etc. very paramilitary.

The job is a bit crazy (though you acclimate to stuff quite quickly), and you get paid better than most LEOs in the country.  If you have a BA, you'll likely be able to start at a GS-7 paygrade (its what I did, I make GS-11 next month).

No one fails physically (unless you're obese), but a lot of guys get fired for violations, and stupid decision making, for example if you get a DUI or something while you're on probation, you're gone etc.

Any more questions, just PM me.

awesome man, its a career move I've been thinking about making for a long time so I think I'll look more into it. have a good one

I agree to those, voting for quality! In the end, you get what you pay for, and it will last longer, if you pay the right price!

Even whenI attend meetings or exhibitions for our company, I always carry a CRKT F4 with me. I even had a knife with me at my wedding. See, in the early middle ages the scandinavians (for the british: remember Lindisfarne!) ant the franconians had the tradition, that a knife is the privilige for a free man. And I go on with that (beeing free, not raiding britannia, of course).

Besides using our own companys gear, I use a Boker Patrol Pack for virtually everything. It always contains a gps, a pda and a sere kit. Not for ww3, but for those things, that might happen.

My kit is made of basicially some groups:

- Basic Survival: Items for Fire, Shelter and Food/Water, packet in a kidney shaped box, can be worn inside my jacket (smock)

- Extended Gear: A windshirt, some fruit biscuits and snacks from a bcb ration, flashlight, etc...

- Tools: A Leatherman PST, a CRKT Folder, Headtorch

- Tech: A Zodiac PDA with topographic maps and a gps device, mobile phone, batteries

- Nick-Nacks: Convienience stuff, like wetnaps, chewing gum, etc. and a small teddy bear. Helped me to calm down a panicked 6 year old girl during a storm this year, now stays in my kit...

My girlfriend sometimes makes me dress up in my combats when we are having sexy time.

I now have to go and scrub my mind.

Seriously, if you played cricket would you wear cricket gear on a daily basis?

Personally, I know that half my mates would think I was being a pretentious wan*er if I wandered around with any mil-spec gear.

And they'd be right too. ;)

My ex wanted me to wear my kit for 'evening exercises' once when i was serving as she liek me in my work clothes, i tried it but i t was incredibly hard to get out of being in a direct and aggressive mindset so i sacked it off after a short while.

I'm all for dressing up and stuff but not when its what you wear all day anyway.

What I always have on me:

~24' 550 Paracord, split in half between a woven bracelet and key lanyard.

Spec-Ops brand "Better BDU Belt"

Victorinox Swiss army knife (locking blade, 2 layers)

Belleville USMC steel toe boots (alternatively, Converse composite toe hiking boots)

And my totally not milsim (and consequently falling apart) Quiksilver wallet and Motorola Rokr cellphone, now sans the glass outer screen because of airsoft. :D

Let's see, I am lying in bed at 04:33 (11:38 Zulu [Greenwhich]) and what is my current atire?

-Casio G-Shock wrist watch

-black Under Armor Heat Gear T-shirt

-OD riggers belt

-woodland BDU trousers

-a wallet with general stuff and a match box, coffee mix, tooth pick etc.

-a SAR/survival wallet custom assembled by me which contains: REI storm matches, small first aid kit, coffe mix, tooth picks, quarters for emergency tactical phone call, cider mix, safety pin, medical shears, twist ties, small compass, razor, q tips, moist towlettes, tweezers, super-homemade micro toothbrush coated in homemade listerine goop, emergency tactical *albatross*-wipes, and yeah lots of ###### in that little wallet.

-digital camera on belt

-mini mag-lite on belt

-3 folding blade knives

-1 boot knife

-1 large tactical knife on back holster (homemade holster from paracord)

-tactical fighting knife in kydex shealth

-surefire E2 Defender

-a Civil Air Patrol challenge coin (incase some guy issues a challenge in while I am in a bar (I am 15))

-2 pens (1 space pen)

-black sharpie

-notepad (write in rain)

-black combat boots

I had a normal day today nothing special, went to town, didn't get arrested (technically I can't carry a knife over 3" at my age); got a few strange looks but its all in good fun.

Oddly enough it wasn't the amount of knives you had on your person that made me go "what in the name of the blue gay hell", as I suppose you never know when you might need a knife... or 3, but I'm having difficulty imagining an emergency when you are like "*beep*, where is a notebook!"

Archived