Intentional headshots? Good or bad?

GuzziHero

Is it acceptable to headshot in airsoft?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Am I out of whack with this one?

• Yes, it adds to the skill
    • Yes, more people take their hits
    • No, its unnecessary and dangerous
    • No, its unsporting

Ah, I'm not going to vote. I shoot at whatever I can see. If the head is the only part that I can see than I'll shoot at it because that means one less person on the other team.

If the torso and head is all I can see then I'll aim in the general direction and hit something. I don't really care which...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not vote, I am more on the middle ground.

I typically aim for center of mass, so if only your head is showing, though luck. Although in CQB situations I try to avoid hitting peoples faces. I wear a helmet, so if you want to be technical, headshots don't matter much to me. However, face shots are what I am primarily worried about. I was once shot 20 feet away in the mouth, not fun. I didn't hold anything against the guy,but it sure took out the fun of the day for me.

However, longer range engagements. I'll hit whatever. I once had a sniper hit me right on the back of my head from a good 100 feet away. Now those are the kinds of lucky/skillful headshots that I like.

So I guess in summary:

In close-in engagements I want to avoid face shots

In long-range engagements I will hit whatever I can

Yeah, I should have put in a "I shoot whatever is presented" or something. NM, too late now.

I mean, Ive gotten an unlucky Desert Eagle to the head at close range, and put the pic up on this forum. If it happens, it happens - tough luck me. But if I knew someone somewhere was *gloating* about it... :ranting2:

;)

If a head is all I can see, I'll aim for it. Otherwise I always try to him someplace else.

There has been an isolated incident of me shooting someone in the face deliberately after bouncing 50 odd bb's off someone's chest without him acknowledging the hit. It was purely out of frustration, shouldn't have done it...but he did take the hit :rolleyes:

I never do headshots because it's not the intention to hurd one and another, but to have some fun that day. The only exception is if I shoot a couple of bb's with a 100% hit and the other player doenst call a hit, than I go for a single shot Headshot....You can be sure he will call it. Afterwards I go and tell why I made that shot so he understands it, so it doesn't happen again...for his sake.

In my opinion even if it's not intentional, with all they spray and prayers now it's impossible not to get hit in the head. The only part that I ever bleed or get pain from is being shot in the ear. Thus I'm getting a shemagh. Too many practice the "If I hear it, I shoot it" rule.

If it is all I can see then that is what I will shoot at. Otherwise I will aim elsewhere. I've taken more than enough shots to the face but then what do you expect when you play a game where we fire little plastic balls at each other? Last game I got shot in the ear that passed my helmet and mask. Now that bloody hurt! I felt sick it was that painful. Either way though my head was all the guy could see so I don't blame him for taking the shot. I don't like pain and I don't like causing pain but it is a fact of airsoft that it can hurt. No one wants the pain but it can be a side effect of getting shot and you really do have to accept that otherwise I think you are in the wrong hobby or maybe just get a full face mask. Maybe we should all just leave our AEGs at home and go round shouting "BANG" at each other. Much safer, don't you think?

The urban sites I go to recommend full face protection. I do too. The amount of times I have been saved from pain so many times thanks to that bit of plastic, it's more than worth the slight discomfort it can cause.

*EDIT*

I think differences between the accepted average FPS of UK guns and US guns should be noted when replying to these posts. There is a big difference between 328fps and 400fps.

Whatever happened to just using common sense, trigger discipline and living by The Golden Rule (i.e., Do onto others as you'd have them do unto you.)?

FFS - if a head is all you can see, the target is at a reasonable range and if you don't take the shot then you'll miss the kill - then take it.

By the same token, if someone's within 10 yards/metres of you then you might want to think twice - or just use a single shot.

This is why we wear headgear, goggles and face masks. If you opt out of wearing a face mask - I do - then you can't cry if you get whacked in the face.

If you're scared of a little sting from a BB - then play Laser Tag.

On the other hand, any player who goes out with the deliberate intention of shooting people in the face is a sick sadistic twat and should be banned from the game. But only after being lined up before the assembled players and given a dose of his own medicine. :angry:

Since I play CQB and full face mask is required. I'm kind of appreciative if they go for the headshot as it doesn't hurt a bit.

But I understand where if people are not using full face mask then that would be dangerous. But since they have the option to wear full face mask. It's their own fault for choosing not to. Maybe they like getting hit in the face.

The site I play at has only been open for 7-8 months and we have alot of players who are reluctant to call their hits.

It has been known for me to aim for the head on purpose as thats the only place they will call their hits on :angry:

They are slowly learning the error of their ways. However I'd like to point out I don't do a full auto blap to the head.

However with the bulk of players I will only do head shots if thats all they present for me to shoot at, otherwise its centre mass.

Saying that one of my mates said one game every time I hit him it was in the head, so much so he now calls me headshot :rolleyes:

Only problem now is our site has been shut down for a couple months and I'm seriously comtemplating shooting at the missus to get my fix :blink:

Only problem now is our site has been shut down for a couple months and I'm seriously comtemplating shooting at the missus to get my fix :blink:

:lol:

Trust me, a pointy toed ladies' shoe to the groin would make a 328fps headshot feel like being brushed with a dandelion :lol:

I wouldnt recommend it!

I never aim for the face for what ever reason, if thats all i can see i just hold of the shot and wait for a better firing solution (I know that its not possible to avoid the occationally stray BB hitting some one...).

why?

1. If you can see his face they can see you and the BB`s, they will duck away long beafore the BB`s hits them

2 The bones at the top of your nose is extremely brittle and will easily break causing massive swelling

3 BB`s will crack a thooth if it hits directly

4 We play with ordinary industrial safety goggles that allthough gives good protection does not seal around the eyes so better to be safe than sorry

5 Hits in the face leaves marks for all to see

back of the head however (or if the player is wearing a full face mask) it`s freegame.

My personal take is that if a target presents his or her chest or arms or something then you should aim there, that is , dont just constantly head hunt. But if a headshot is the only clear shot you have on a target or thats all that they have out of cover i say take it. I think it goes without saying that if you are playing a sport that revolves around getting shot at, a headshot will inevitably come your way.

QFT: What he said.

I voted Yes - people take their hits because it is closest to: Yes - if their head is the only thing I can see.

I must admit that if I am face to face with someone who isn't taking their hits I will shift aim from COM to their shins or groin but if they have their back to me and aren't taking, I'll usually shoot for the back of the head.

If they have been blatant about cheating I even allow myself a little smile when I hear that distinctive thwack.

Even given both of those circumstances when I would shoot for the head I still won't do it on auto or within a safe range.

If you are trying to replicate real war scenario's, then no-one should complain about headshots. In a real war situation, no-one is going to choose to not shoot you in the head because they believe it to be 'unnecessary and dangerous'. Besides, everyone wears eye protection on the field.

When someones ducking in and out its unavoidable in a firefight as you going to return fire...when you are using a sniper though so you have a fairly accurate weapon and a scope to see where your aiming to me it verges on being insert own word(s) here if your intentionaly taking headshots (especially face shots) as to me your aiming to intentionaly cause people pain.

If its unintentinal fair enuff, i once got a head shot on someone at close range, double taped to put two rounds at him, first flew off madly and hit him in the back of the head second hit his back where I was aiming.

The game revolves around shooting people. Part of a person is a head.

Now, before someone claims I'm calloused and a masochist, I lost two teeth in a 20 foot shoot a couple of years back as I made entry into a building. Yes, I was very upset at that very moment, but it was more that I neglected to pop on my mouthguard than at the player who shot me. When I popped my trunk when loading my gear, guess what was looking at me from the floor of the trunk? Yep, my mouthguard. 1,000 dollars in dental work later, I'm still twitchy when I make an entry and finally bought a mask so I'd quit worrying about it.

The outrage that people express at getting hit in the face is assinine.

At the MOUT facilities I've played, more often than not what players present as a target is nothing more than a head, a weapon and perhaps a chicken-winged strong side elbow. Sorry, if I can hit any part of that exposed target - that is, by the way, shooting at me - I will. People put so much emphasis on how they look that it's someone else's problem if they get hit in the face? Give me a king-sized break.

If it's an issue for you to get shot in the face, wear a mask. End, full stop.

If it's presented and the only thing to shoot at then of course. You can't let some cheeky stick his head up over a bunker and watch you position yourself and not expect expect to get plugged. Also I think it's completely different in the UK with the 328 limit and to be perfectly honest at average woodland contact distances, a headshot isn't going to hurt that much.. This comes from the guy who runs around electrowerkz in shooting glasses and a gumshield :P

Archived