Finally a decent Chronograph! - Xcortech X3200

Catman

I can't tell you how long I've been after a decent chronograph! It's been a long time I can tell you, this has mainly been down to me being fussy; my critera has been:

1) Measures FPS

2) Meaures RPM

3) Doesn't need to be attached to the gun in some way.

4) Doesn't need a button pressed after every shot

Until now no such chronograph existed, there was the X3100 which came close but didn't give FPS readings. Madbull have one in the works but it's still not been released yet.

The other day while doing my daily "what's new" look around I spotted the X3200 on WGC (link), it'd completely snuck in under the hype radar. After checking out the manual I decided to take a risk and buy it.

It arrived today and I'm pleased to say it's very good, not bad for $90. It takes 4 AAA batteries, the display and menu system are well thoughtout and easy to use. And importantly it works nicely in poor light conditions, I just tried it in the room with the lights off (it's dark outside) and it was giving me readings.

There are two display modes, fancy:

IMGP4120.jpg

(don't mind the cats hair :P)

Simple:

IMGP4121.jpg

There are 6 memory projectile settings, so you can enter almost any weight and calibre into the chrono. The weight ranges from 0.1g to 2.5g and the calibre ranges from 4.5mm to 18mm. So that's quite handy and especially for those with 8mm guns, though I don't think I'll be making a huge amount of use of that feature as I benchmark everything to 0.2g, it's nice to know it there.

IMGP4123.jpg

Now if you read the manual you'll suddenly go "WTF it only reads up to 450fps?!!" Well that's what I thought too. The paper manual I got in the box reads differently, firstly it's all in Japanese or something saying "100-400"; I'm guessing that's a MPS measurement. I checked the previous model's (X3100) manual and saw that it could read 100-400mps, thats 1300 odd FPS. So there's definately some typo in this manual. Just to be sure I got my Tanaka M700 out and opened the PCS system out for maxiumum power, made sure the mag was nice a warm for nice high reading... and well:

IMGP4135.jpg

Definately a typo :P

The internal tube is made of metal so any shots off target aren't going to wreck it, though a split BB hitting one of the sensors possibly could cause some damage.

IMGP4138.jpg

IMGP4139.jpg

What is really nice to see is the auto-off feature can be set, it ranges are 10, 20, 30, 60 minutes. The backlight option isn't so rich, you can have auto (20secs), on (while the unit is on) or off. On the underneath there's a screw hole for a standard camera bipod and the battery cover which thankfully is hinged to the main unit so it never becomes seperated.

It gets a 9 out 10 in my book. It'd have gotten 10/10 if it had a power supply jack, rechargable battery option and specific 'off-mains' menu options (ie never turn off ) but that's just me being fussy again :P

Edit: forgot to mention: The RPM measurement range is 100 to 9999 RPM.

The other contender currently on the market is the Guarder 2007 chrono, no idea when Madbull will be releasing theirs. But the X3200 looks to be the only one with a dot matrix screen capable of displaying RPM and FPS at the same time (plus all the Joules, BB weight/size fancy stuff :P).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got one of these two days ago as well, lovely bit of kit. I see you've also got some lovely BB marks on the inside of the alu tube! A tripod is definatly needed with one of these imho, measuring the rof on a maruzen vz61 while holding it is incredibly hard :blink:

cheers fellas :)

Thanks for the review, buying one. Whats postage did u pay to get it till the Isle of Man ?

No different than it costs to get shipped to the UK :)

[...]I see you've also got some lovely BB marks on the inside of the alu tube! [..]

Hehe yeah when it arrived I tried it with my assault rifle and held both in each hand, wasn't easy :P I'll be fixing it to my 'shooty box' later :)

I can see the point of a BB weight setting (to work out Joules), but Calibre(er)?

It's to do with the J/cm2 reading - which I personally have no use for but it sure looks pretty :P

Nice review! I was waiting for the Madbull chrono to come out, but apparently they decided to fall off the face of the earth...

Since I'm putting a WGCshop order together soon, I think I'm going to have to add this to the list of things to blow my hard-earned cash on. :D Although at least this is better than the Guarder because I've heard the Guarder ones suck, and they are $30 more.

Anyways, great review!

Looks like a good bit of kit.

But a very decent chrono has been available (& produced) in the uk for over 25 years.

Skan make very good chronos. So good in fact they are used exclusively by the uk police (& certain parts of the military).

No ROF & they ain't cheap, but they can be run off mains or 12v (car etc), do jule calculation. & they work!

This is a genuine quality item, used by many in the airgun industry to verify & bench mark the power of their products.

Look it up (skanar.co.uk, skan pro1 series 3, 99.5% accuracy, 5 year warranty), if the price isn't too scary it will be the best thing you by this year.

I've had mine a while now & obviously can't recommend it enough.

Greg.

I was looking into them, but I was unhappy to see that FPS is capped rather low at 499 or something like that. I know in the UK there isn't much reason to go higher, but here in the US a few of my revolvers shoot higher.

I have had zero problems with my Guarder (who said they sucked?), swapping it out for the newer version soon enough.

I was looking into them, but I was unhappy to see that FPS is capped rather low at 499 or something like that. I know in the UK there isn't much reason to go higher, but here in the US a few of my revolvers shoot higher.

I have had zero problems with my Guarder (who said they sucked?), swapping it out for the newer version soon enough.

If you had of read Catman's original review, you will know that there is a printing error on that. He has clocked his sniper rifle at well over that.

Does look full featured, would love to try one out, just to compare ROF and fps figures.

My Chronotar CE-2 runs on a 9V battery and I don't recall ever changing it (maybe once...?), but obviously AAAs hold a lot less charge.

Presumably it generates a light source too in the tube to track the BB? That'll suck up a lot more power than an external light source one like the the Shooting Chrono or my Chronotar.

Cheers.

Does anyone know if it can be used in metric mode (meters per second)?

Yup, it comes out of the box set for MPS

Does look full featured, would love to try one out, just to compare ROF and fps figures.

My Chronotar CE-2 runs on a 9V battery and I don't recall ever changing it (maybe once...?), but obviously AAAs hold a lot less charge.

Presumably it generates a light source too in the tube to track the BB? That'll suck up a lot more power than an external light source one like the the Shooting Chrono or my Chronotar.

Cheers.

There's no light source generated in the tub, I'm guessing it works off infrared. I checked the FPS figures last night against a crombo chrony and the figures were dead on

Good info, thanks. A bit cheaper than the Guarder 2007 version, which adds ROF measurement to the existing Guarder platform.

Does the screen show up nicely in bright sunlight? That was one problem with the Guarder, as the LEDs wash out.

Cheers, yeah the screen is nicely visible in the sunlight:

IMGP4144.jpg

Here's the X3200 now attached to my 'shooty box', hmm tasty ROF :D:

IMGP4146.jpg

Archived