One Can Never Have Too Much Ammo

Murph

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can we not just accept that different people play in different ways, that there are merits to both sides (if indeed we have to think of them as "sides" and stop bitching about it or insulting each other?

It seems there are times when hicappers annoy locappers and there are times when locappers annoy hicappers - people turning up at a thoroughly non-milsim gamesite, moaning about the lack of realism, not playing all the way through some games - like a quick CTF game is beneath them, or they don't think the scenario is realistic enough or something - then buggering off halfway through the day so the marshals have to restructure the teams). I wouldn't turn up at a hardcore milsim event in my zombie hunter loadout and boxmags, now would I?

Sometimes however, we all get along just fine - in fact most of the time in my experience.

If you're into MilSim then some sites/game days won't be your idea of fun. Same goes for us hicappers/boxmaggers. The idea of a MilSim weekender sounds like torture to me - I wouldn't be allowed into quite a lot anyway as I don't have a proper military loadout or lo/midcaps and I don't play in a team (as in "Hi, we're Unit 137, we all wear Vietnam gear, use M14's, M79's and early armalites and have our own forum, we're from Wolverhampton, huzzah!"). I daresay you'd feel the same about some of the games I enjoy. That's fine though isn't it? Be a bloody shame if we were all the same I reckon.

*apologies if there is a Unit 137 based in Wolverhampton btw - I've never heard of you so please don't take offense.

EDIT: beaten to it by SB while I typed.

I think there is room for both on the same field, I mean how hard is it to kill a guy who keeps giving away his postion by firing all the time. All you have to do is use your Delta farce skillz to flank him and give him the good news.

Anyway, it's all the same game either way, just different ways of playing, I myself think of the game more like a war sim, but others play it as a video game, I can see both sides and respect they way they play, I just get on with my own game and enjoy the aspects of the game that I enjoy.

What will your next pearl of wisdom be? Saying that hi voltage batteries and turbo motors running 25+rps are heresy because it's not 'milsim'? Grow up man. If so, that makes the entire jap airsoft movement a bunch of 'jerks' as you put it because it's not uncommon to run 450+fps and 40+rps.

in Japan the law says their cant have airsoft guns over 1J or it might even be 0.80J, thats around the same as a stock TM. I think your referring to Hong Kong or the USA where they have silly FPS AEG's.

on the topic of highcaps; when i use them, its usually controlled bursts or suppressive fire or even in semi!

heres a few scenario's

one skirmish i played, i was hiding in a bush defending the flank of this area of the site, the enemy come round walk past one or two at a time, and i either bang kill them or use a single shot on semi.

a group of around 3 of us went out to distract the enemy team and draw them away from the objective our team was attacking. we attacked the two guys defending their "base", by using short and long bursts aimed in their general direction, but not actually at a target, shouting "orders" such as fire team 1 fire! fire team 2 move! etc and creating havoc, this lead to the guys in the base radioing in for support and most of the enemy team came to support them leaving our team to take the objective. if i hadnt had a highcap mag, i wouldn't have Been able to hold out against the team who came to support them.

I think highcaps have a place in the sport, they are good for situations where you need a lot of ammo, but dont want to re load all the time. They are great for newbies who are just getting into the sport, as you can get the same amount of ammo in a high cap as 3 mids, and it wont cost as much.

WHO FREAKING CARES?!!!?!

I use lowcaps and midcaps. I find it is more fun and I feel more badass when I reload. I dont like using hicaps because I'm a bit of a realisim freak. But I dont mind when other people use hicaps because it is part of the sport.

chill pill please.

anyways, i detest high-caps, but tolerate mids, i guess. i just like realism, hence i use low-caps.

I am not a fan of high-caps, though I carry one as a backup, in addition to my 9 lowcaps. On the topic of realism though, I think 60-rounders are the best for a couple of reasons.

On a real gun with a 30 round magazine, all 30 rounds fire, usually only 26-27 fire out of a 30-round airsoft mag.

Shooters of Real guns do not have to worry about wind and range nearly as much as airsofters do (yes, I know wind and drop become factors, but not at the distances we play at!).

60-rounders can make up for the loss of accuracy and range that airsoft brings, IMHO. I am still using my 30-rounders, but I think my next gun will get a set of 60-rounders.

10x 30 rounds real caps

1x 130 rounds g&p illuminating magazine. (Sometimes I take out the illuminating mag and use a 450rd hicap.)

1x 70 rounds magazine.

I prefer getting as close to the real thing as possible. The other hicaps I've got are only used for zeroing my gun or indoor plinking..

Heh, I would use a drum mag for my AA R85 if only it could handle it :P.

I carry whatever I have.

AK74: 3 hicaps

MP5: 1 hicap, 7 midcaps and I have just ordered 8 more midcaps seen as I have a habit of losing them (lost a hicap to some horrible sludge ###### I wasn't going to stick my hand in to retrieve and lost a mid somewhere on the M62.)

M14: 11 midcaps

Desert Eagles x2: 6 mags

Glock 18c: 3 mags

Stealth:

Splitting hicap users between teams is certainly a workable solution which satisfies everybodys needs, the lowcappers aren't overly disadvantaged by their play style, and the hicappers don't have to put up with draconian ammo restrictions, it's a fantastic idea, and I think that it should be incorporated to every site as a matter of course, I rarely see any effort to properly balance teams, and it would improve the game for everyone.

ScottyT:

I was going to make that point myself, that's why I use 68rd mags in my M4, it's the best balance between realism and practicality.

Pablo:

Milsim games are fine, but there are people who don't want milsim, but still want a reasonable level of realism, so they aren't really an option for someone like myself who doesn't even have matching kit, and isn't interested in some sort of Delta Force RPG, but who likes reloading.

Screaming Weasel:

I don't find it hard to refill lowcaps, and between games you have plenty of time, so who cares if it takes a bit longer?

The point about cost is very valid though, 68rd KA M4 locaps are £15 each, 300rd CA hicaps are £25 each, so if you want to carry say, 1000rds then clearly the cheapest option is to use hicaps.

My original issue was not with people using hicaps, it was with the SnP play style that (sometimes) goes with it.

Where are the mods? This guy is obviously still trolling...

Funny story:

One of the gents we play with, who is the XO of one of the more notoriously Non-milsim teams in our league (a confederation of players who have our own private fields and host our own events... for clarity) decided to buy a STRAFER. Most of you will be familiar, but for those of you who aren't, the Strafer is by far the most notoriously non-milsim airsoft weapon ever created... milled aluminum spacegun body, a valve and regulator for a trigger (basically), an insane ammo capacity and ROF. He would charge up his tanks and lug them out to the field. Load up a mag for "practice" and hose a bunch of trees before the game, letting everyone have a go (Pat is a really, really nice guy) and generally scaring the ###### of all the new guys with the sound and fury show. Then we would pick teams (as we do at our "skirmishes". It let's guys get a chance to play with player who are normally on other teams at bigger events and we find fosters a sense of COMMUNITY among all our players... this helps to keep the BS to a minimum) and inevitably the newish guys on my side would express their concerns about "that horrible f-ing gun". The older more experienced player would wink at each other, twirl our mustaches and sigh "Don't you worry about good old Pat... you just handle *insert objective here*" and off we would go. See, in my experience those high ROF guns are not always the most accurate tools, and with the Strafer in particular, cost of ammo becomes a HUGE factor. So much so that to keep the Power and Cost under control (with the Strafer bb weight was everything and a heavier bb could get downright dangerous), our friend Pat was forced to resort to .12s... It's tough to relate the joy of hearing him dump shedloads of ammo while I did a bit of dodging and took aimed bursts at him from 200 ft with my M14. Most of the time, between bursts, all I could hear was his cries of "WHY WON'T YOU DIE" typically followed by "NOOOOOOO!!!! NOT AGAIN!!! OUT!!!"

I was only using 60 rd. TM standards in the 14 at time.

At the end of the day, we would sit around the campfire, drink a few tasties and laugh and laugh and laugh. His uber highcapping and spray and praying never ruined anyone else's fun and we all had a blast enjoying the hobby / sport we love and share in common.

Reading some of the comments above, I find a correlation between this type of factional BS and the prevalence of commercial fields... It makes me kinda glad that we don't have any of them to speak of in my area, and that we play at our own private locations.

IMHO I think we all need to keep in mind what we have in common... we are enthusiasts involved in an activity which the general populace thinks is insane!!! Us freaks need to stick together :D

Archived