British Accent

tr1gg3r_h4ppy

Well, for the duration I've been bought for the total of $20 USD, to speak in an English accent.

I would like to think I am fairly good as a man from the UK asked me if I was Welsh when impersonating a British Person in Public.

What I would like to know, how can I make my accent sound more convincing and less forced. I need to be able to keep up the talking for two weeks. Currently after 20 minutes of accent my jaw begins to hurt quite a bit.

Also what words are common to the dialect? Such as reckon, lory, and what not.

Thanks,

Trigger

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There really is no such thing as an English accent, a good speech therapist can tell what town you are from even what part of that town in some cases.

Most of the time people go for the plummy posh accent or the cockney but those are two of the hardest to get right.

Watch british films (not trainspotting or snatch) and record your voice to play it back.

Let me guess your actually going to try to put on the pompous Englishman accent which seems to be in every US TV show and film but hardly anyone really uses?

Best bet is to watch some UK TV or films and choose an accent you think you can copy and like...unless you really want to go with steriotypes, in which case all Americans sound like they are from Texas and the south...or the hick from The Simpsons.

Oh and if you sound Welsh then you have already done it, Wales is in Britain last time I checked :D

watch lots of cheesy 1940s and 50s british movies I believe the cough 'British' accent you seek was alive and well in those Having lived all my days in britain thats only place Ive ever heard it at any rate :P

No one ever really spoke like that we just pretended in movies so that any soviet agents that might parachute in could be rounded up within 20 yards of their feet hitting the ground lol

actually i'd reckon the closest you can get is by watching star trek.

no really. although the actors are american (50%) they Enounciate. thats the important part. enounciate and you'll be speeking the queens english. no need to put on an accent at all. just pronounce your words properly (no slurs or slang) and you'll be english before you know it.

pete

Bloody hell in about fifteen seconds I could think of at least twenty two different British accents and about nineteen of those were from England alone! There is no one "British" accent no more than there is one American or even one Australian accent! Yanks, ya gotta love 'em and their quaint view of the United Kingdom! ;)

There's an accent for every major town and region on the UK ffs

Pick brummie, thats a good one ;)

Alright luff, pleased to meet yow

Oh and this was an EXTREMELY brave thing to ask, considering the amount of rhyming slang and just plain obscure terms for various body parts/sexual acts :D

Also what words are common to the dialect?

Also its NUCLEAR, not nucular, tomAto, not tomAYto ;)

The actor that does Dr. House has a LOT of british accent! Just catch a interview of him and you will see.

The has to fake his american accent. :D

Hugh Laurie

Same with Jamie Bamber who plays Apollo in Battlestar Galactica, alot of people especially Americans are suprised when they see interviews that hes actually British and doesnt talk like Apollo really, for anyone whos seen him on UK TV (like Ultimate Force) they arent so suprised

Hugh Laurie

Same with Jamie Bamber who plays Apollo in Battlestar Galactica, alot of people especially Americans are suprised when they see interviews that hes actually British and doesnt talk like Apollo really, for anyone whos seen him on UK TV (like Ultimate Force) they arent so suprised

Dont forget as Archie too, Hornblowers faithfull friend ;)

pete

Archived