British Accent

tr1gg3r_h4ppy

Well may luvvarr, ee best no be trruying to do one they zommurzet accentz!

Yeah, hardcore wurzel (Somerset ;)) is just as difficult to understand as a geordie with an accent as thick as tyne fog :D We've been likened to pirates, at times....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, in some parts of our great United States I won't get what the *fruitcage* your on about. From being around Brits on the 'net a lot, I've picked up a lot of stuff.

Example: I'm from the Northeast, NEPA to be exact. So many accents in my school. Some people, I just go "What?" and they say it again, and I just say "What?!" I consider my accent to be the standard American accent, Northeast. Here's a list of some common accents for you Brits:

-Northeast Accent (Standard American English)

-NYC Accent (Hey man, you gotta light)

-"Gangsta" Accent (Chav accent...lol, some call it "Ebonics"

-Southern Accent (We all know this)

-"Valley Girl/Boy" Accent. (Like oh my gawd, its like so totally cool!"

-Surfer dude "Duuuuuuude"

would someone in the north of colorado have the same accent as someone in the south of colorado?

I cant speak for Colorado, but I live in New York, and there are at least 4 Verifyable "accents" in this State alone.

Long Island: "Lawn Geyelend" & "Khoffie Tawk"- Coffee Talk (the Mike Meyers SNL sketch)

Manhattan: NYPD Blue type stuff...Geologically close to Long island, but audibly different. Due to the melting pot effect, its very hard to find someone like this - but it exists

Rochester (my hometown): Speed and dialect is the key... we talk very fast, say "ground steak" for burgers, "red hots" for hot dogs, and pronounce it Rahh-chester

Pennsylvania Border: "You's guys", and that sort of thing

Buffalo, Syracuse and the North Country all have their own things - interesting state, to be sure.

I would give anything to have an "accent"... Simon Pegg-ish, or like the guy from episode 1 of Band of Brothers who speaks with a cockney accent

"eets awroit mayte, weir tommays"

"alotta it is from the 'ermans - mowst uh it, actshuly"

Ahh sounds so badass

20 bucks for 2 weeks of effort ?

######s to that.

i'd say the most important important thing is what you sat, not necissarily how you say it. apparently, i get told i sound like a farmer. naturally, when somebody tells you you have a strong accent, you dont believe it because for you, everybody sounds teh same as its where you live. but when somebody comes along from somewhere else in the country, it all changes. i live in norfolk, which is a right proper farming county. along with suffolk.

i can see where you yanks are coming from though, england is pretty much the same size as one of your states :)

off topic a bit, but do people in the same state have the same accent? i mean, would someone in the north of colorado have the same accent as someone in the south of colorado?

i cant see how we sound anthing like the ozzies though?

Not generally, we have people who might have accents come from out of state.

But it generally goes that everyone in Colorado is devoid of any accent. All the newscasters imitate our accent since it is the easiest to understand

for an example the only thing that we say with a semblence of an accent is our own state name We pronounce it CAWL-O-RAD-O when its supposed to be

CAWL-O-RAW-DOE

And no we dont warsh our hands or pahk ar cars. East Coasters :D

is that an admission :P

Ugh. An admission to being surrounded by morons. Seriously. In my senior English class yesterday I was actually asked by the other student to dumb down my language so they could understand what I was saying in referrence to a moral debate. Gah! If you guys have seen Idiocracy, consider it a chillingly accurate representation of the future.

Ugh. An admission to being surrounded by morons. Seriously. In my senior English class yesterday I was actually asked by the other student to dumb down my language so they could understand what I was saying in referrence to a moral debate. Gah! If you guys have seen Idiocracy, consider it a chillingly accurate representation of the future.

Great movie... Beef Supreme will destroy you.

On another note, have you read Politics and the English Language by any chance?

There's like 96 different variations of the 'New England' accent, the 'Midwestern' accent, and the 'Southern' accent each. I would guess that there are more variations regionally, it's just I haven't traveled as extensively through many other areas of the US. The weirdest thing about where I live now in the Northwest is that the accent is such an off mix of 'Sophisticated Californian' and 'General Canuck' as well as others that I can't really recognize.

Great movie... Beef Supreme will destroy you.

On another note, have you read Politics and the English Language by any chance?

No, but with all this texting slang (shortening and simplifying English into a far less sophisticated language) I can just imagine Orwell turning in his grave.

Not generally, we have people who might have accents come from out of state.

But it generally goes that everyone in Colorado is devoid of any accent. All the newscasters imitate our accent since it is the easiest to understand

for an example the only thing that we say with a semblence of an accent is our own state name We pronounce it CAWL-O-RAD-O when its supposed to be

CAWL-O-RAW-DOE

And no we dont warsh our hands or pahk ar cars. East Coasters :D

errr-

"Warsh" is a perfectly good Nebraska/Kansas-ism and plenty of folks here use that Brett

So be careful in case there are some Big Red fans around ya!

On the subject of Colorado (The best state in the union BTW :P ) I've heard more people pronounce it thus: "Cawl-A-Rad-Uh"

It is a lot like Florida as far as immigration though- It seems like most people are from somewhere else- If you are actually a 'native' you are in the minority for sure. A ton of Californi-cators in the 80's and 90's til they finally sealed that entrance off, and it seems like a ton of people from Pennsylvania for some reason.

Slainte!

Just don't try posh. I only know one person who speaks proper posh (he's ex-head of old master paintings at sotheby's) and speaking like that will just make you sound daft.

I suspect you just need to start speaking your words a little clearer, slightly clipped ends to the sounds, while at the same time using English slang and speaking using wordy metaphors. Then just add "mate" on the end.

English is all about speaking the right manner to the other person based on the social levels in the conversation. One doesn't speak cockney to one's grandmother-in-law or she'll spill her sherry and call for a constable. On the other hand I tuck in at the pub and share a pint with my mum over a conversation regarding the Labour Party that every other word is swearing and the police are always known only as "The Old Bill".

Its like living on the set of Oliver, I swears to ya'!

The best possible example of a voice to copy and imitate would be Blackadder. He has the wordiness lacking in US English talk, the round about expressions and the clipped accent.

Some nice clips are on the Aubile.co.uk page HERE

Basho

i was only using colerado as an example, the same can be applied to any state ny, texas etc

i got shouted at by an angry american because i said "mate", first he thought i was australian, and then he realised that i was english i got loads of abuse hurled towards me and my fellow countrymen just for saying that england was not the only country that had problems

needless to say i told him to jog on! and subsequently got a nasty message followed by a negative rating on my profile WTF

what an angry person! i just know that he was just a minority

WHAT A FREAK!

Tips for speaking like a North Leeds/Yorkshireman

Never pronounce the letter T when it is in the middle or at the end of a word.

So 'butter' is bu'er, my name, Bartle, becoms Bar'ul. Betty, Be'ee. Get the idea

the 'th' sound in the middle of a word becomes a 'v', so 'Norvern Ireland'.

Say Me instead of My (Where's me coat)

Us instead of our or Me (Pass us that bag, we have to paint us guns bright colors)

Use some old English terms like 'thee'

Young men are 'lad', 'pal', 'bud' or 'mate' (obviously pronounced without the T)

You women oare 'lass', 'love' or 'miss'

Hello is 'ey up' or 'ows it goin'

Aye for Yes

Nah or noo (pronounced nur) for no.

Oh and say what instead of that.

So 'I met an American what couldn't speak with an English accent'

Oh and put the F word before every verb and every other noun.

If no one can undertand what you are saying except people from North Yorkshire, you are doing it right.

I myself have a fairly strong Yorkshire accent and then a second effected posh accent which I use when talking to people I don't really know.

I'd kill myself if I had a 'British Accent' too, same as if I had an American one or a Canadian one or a French one (or maybe combination of the last two).

I guess if someone's dumb enough to ask you to do a 'British Accent', they probably want ###### Van Dyke/The butler guy from Magnum PI and anything equating a true accent from the British Isles will just leave them confused and dumbfounded..

I'd suggest Geordie or Glaswegian, I know quite a few British people who find either totally incomprehensible :)

Coming from dan sarf I don't consider I have an accent, but I've been told by a number of Americans (including a film crew who put me on TV!) that they 'just lav' my 'Ak-sent!'.

And remember... "You're only supposed to blow the bloody daws orf!"

Cheers.

Archived