US airsoft players are being attacked under the radar by our politicians

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok since most of you don't understand Pozzie.

Here you go:

British airsofters hear about VCRA.

Airsofters unite, try to work it out through lobbying to defend their sport.

THis happens under the UKARA.

And.... SUCCESS!

People who abuse airsoft are in deep *bleep* now, since registration means control.

what does the american airsofter do?

Kick and scream about something that only contributes to their sport as far as I know (except for the orange tips :P )

Ok not all of you do, but the original poster made a fuss like airsoft was going to become illegal.

Build something up like the UKARA, in case something like an airsoft ban becomes reality, that's what Pozzie is telling you.

also lol for bringing up leftists... i was waiting for that.

I did because that describes the politics of most, but not all, of the pro-ban people on the Dallas City Council.

Now that I think about it, our city council is so batshiat insane that both the RNC and the DNC would actually deny membership to anybody who gets on it.

The bat caper

In expressing his concern about the potential of thousands of bats being lured to handmade habitats in Glen Cove Park, council member Mitchell Rasansky joked that a 14-year-old Boy Scout was Count Dracula.

The Dallas teen built the bat houses and a related nature trail as part of an Eagle Scout project.

The Scout's father was not amused by Mr. Rasansky's comment and said his son learned a hard civics lesson about dealing with a powerful council member. Mr. Rasansky, who would later learn a lesson of his own, responded by saying the boy was from Transylvania.

The council member got hundreds of e-mails and phone calls blasting his comments and his opposition to the bat houses. Mr. Rasansky said one woman threatened to drive a stake through his heart.

The council member eventually apologized to the boy's father, and the bat houses remained in the park.

Rasansky was one of the people who was pushing for a total ban.

You've also got rhetorical jewels like this from Councilwoman Dr. Maxine Thornton-Reese:

The petition, when they check all of those, and they did not have all of those, so they're not checking each and every one of those, and that's what makes the difference.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/2004-12-23/n...fteen-stooges/2

With their amazing command of illogic, you'd think that those two would get along, right?

Dallas City Council member Mitchell Rasansky says colleague Maxine Thornton-Reese made insensitive comments about Jews during an off-the-floor discussion at Wednesday's meeting.

Mitchell Rasansky

Mr. Rasansky, who is Jewish, said Dr. Thornton-Reese told him, "You Jews are controlling City Hall," and wouldn't let go of his arm during a heated encounter while their colleagues debated a controversial burglar-alarm policy.

Dr. Thornton-Reese, who is black, said she doesn't think she said that. She said she was simply trying to have a discussion about what role race and religion play at City Hall. She said Mr. Rasansky misunderstood her and fled the room before she could finish the conversation.

"I was telling him, 'Jews gravitate to Jews, the same way African-Americans gravitate to African-Americans,' " she said. "Sometimes we let race and other things influence our votes. He refused to discuss with me anything about religion."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...l.175eb5aa.html

Fun, isn't it?

No, no, and hell no. I will not register any of my guns, replica or not. And I will never register myself with the government so that I can play a game.

Interesting...

You wouldn't feel at home here then :P Everything needs a Permit: Any Kind of Firearm-Weapons, Airsoft and Paintball Markers, even long Knifes like Bayonets!

what does the american airsofter do?

Kick and scream about something that only contributes to their sport as far as I know (except for the orange tips :P )

Ok not all of you do, but the original poster made a fuss like airsoft was going to become illegal.

These "The sky is falling" threads are nothing new. Hell, the proposed laws are nothing new. This has been attempted dozens of times to no avail. I thought that was cleared up pretty early on in this thread.

As for you (surprisingly) trying to poke at US airsofters, I've been on these forums for the whole VCRB/VCRA fiasco and have seen the same kicking and screaming from across the pond. So, yeah whatever.

Not fine with it. The bill seems like nothing more then a foot in the door to a flat out ban to me. The things the politicians are suggesting are useless and hard to police. Orange tips haven't meant anything since gangs have been painting weapons for several decades now. But if they put some limiters on it which will do little to nothing, then more incidents occur, it would be easier to take more severe steps.

Airsoft really needs to organize in the US... Some kind of an organization needs to properly and officially hand out permits to purchase replicas. Maybe something along the lines of UKARA and the VCRA but less stringent to control minors and the occasinal adult from perfroming ignorant acts in public. I've spent too much money and time to build and maintain a hobby I truly love...

What do you all think about a registration program like firearms for airsoft?

I'm 100% against it. If airsoft were ever to be banned, this would only expedite it. Besides, I don't think the government has any business knowing if I have a replica firearm or not.

It absolutely should be illegal to brandish an airsoft gun in public, this includes having them uncased in a car. This is more of a common sense thing and these kind of laws don't prohibit a legitimate airsoft hobbyest in the slightest.

i dont want the american airsofters to fight the vcra epyon, read my post. i just mentioned that there was a predominant 'sucks to be you' atttiude. Which is inverted now that your nations sport is in danger. Im ofcourse sympathetic, but a little reserved to jump on the 'zomg fight the commie opressor' bandwaggon.

Ha. Airsoft is not in danger. There are a couple of proposed laws saying you can't brandish a replica in public, something you should do anyway. That's hardly our sport being in danger.

I'd like to add that the reason for US airsofters not organizing on a national level has less to do with apathy and more to do with the way our government works. The threat to airsoft in the US is not from the national government but from local and state regulations. What happened in Dallas was that the local skirmishers (myself included) got involved by writing City Council members, attending meetings, and writing letters to the newspaper. What resulted was an ordinance that only re-enforced existing laws.

It's not that airsofters in the US aren't organized, its just that we aren't organized like those in the UK. We have five times the population that you do and a less centralized government, so it makes sense for us to organize on the state, rather than national, level.

The Badgers view on all this is going to come off a little bit... unairsofting (or at least liberal). He lives in California, and these things are all laws anyway, and is airsoft dead? No, its just as if not more popular here than anywhere else in the country. These laws are NOT going to outlaw airsoft, it simply will never happen, especially seeing as the NRA seems to be defending us. America has too much love for guns to get toys outlawed, even something like the VCRA is unrealistic. The only thing this law does is stops is idiots. Those of you who want to go around with an m4 in your passenger seat waving it at passing cruisers GTFO arnies and go play paintball. You simply cant stand orange tips on your weapons? then bring the black flash hider with you and put it on when you start playing. You want to buy your guns from walmart? too bad, airsoft is not a mainstream sport and the easier it is for people to get guns the worse its going to get.

In short, grow up. They aren't going to take your toys away.

[/rant]

badgerdancing6.gif

I'd like to add that the reason for US airsofters not organizing on a national level has less to do with apathy and more to do with the way our government works. The threat to airsoft in the US is not from the national government but from local and state regulations. What happened in Dallas was that the local skirmishers (myself included) got involved by writing City Council members, attending meetings, and writing letters to the newspaper. What resulted was an ordinance that only re-enforced existing laws.

It's not that airsofters in the US aren't organized, its just that we aren't organized like those in the UK. We have five times the population that you do and a less centralized government, so it makes sense for us to organize on the state, rather than national, level.

Right on.

Up in Minnesota the Minnesota Airsoft Association worked with the St. Paul city council

to pass a new law that protected safe and responsible play and made it illegal to brandish a realistic replica in public. That's what every local organization needs to do if there are laws being introduced in their area.

Ok so here it is... I'm trying to get the word out. We US airsoft players are under MAJOR assault by our politicians as referenced in this article. We don't yet know what states this is happening in but 15 is a goddamn huge number!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354071,00.html

So how are Airsoft players being attacked under the radar by state politicians? What the lawmakers are doing is public as anything can get - a legislative action further publicized by a news wire report.

Sorry, but you are overreacting to this.

What's wrong with creating laws that punish people (and teens) who do something with a toy gun lookalike that is a clear danger to public safety? I point to what happened in Washington recently when three kids with an AEG killed a duck and later shot a man in the head in a drive-by. What's happening to them? The district attorney is going to throw the book at them with felony charges.

Besides, if anyone is really so numb as to openly carry what looks like a real firearm in public - and then go so far as to wave it around, point it at people - and then get shot by police or a concealed carry weapons holder, they deserve it.

Guys,

here in the UK it is now illegal to buy or import a RIF (Replica Imitation Firearm) unless you are registered with a body called UKARA (United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association). Non registered people can still buy AEG's but they must be 50% brightly coloured (Most seem to be bright Green). If I remember correctly it is also a criminal act to hide the bright colouring unless you are UKARA registered

I can't believe no UK 'softers have corrected this fully yet :P

Registration is not required, whether with UKARA or anyone else. Rather than go into the whole thing, here's a link to the VCRA FAQ.

Brightly coloured imitation guns can be purchased by anyone over 18. Modifying them into RIFs is illegal, but can be done if you have a defence against prosecution, such as skirmishing at a site that has Public Liability Insurance.

If anyone really wants to know anything about the VCRA after reading that FAQ, just let me know.

These "The sky is falling" threads are nothing new. Hell, the proposed laws are nothing new. This has been attempted dozens of times to no avail. I thought that was cleared up pretty early on in this thread.

As for you (surprisingly) trying to poke at a US airsofter, I've been on these forums for the whole VCRB/VCRA fiasco and have seen the same kicking and screaming from across the pond. So, yeah whatever.

fixed :)

I will await the kicking and screaming :D

tbh, theres a difference most yanks dont acknowledge between lpegs and chinese guns.....

True, I've just been looking at the US airsoft forums in the past few days and I cannot believe the amount of ignorance, especially by the veteran members there, on these sorts of things.... *cough* ASR *cough*...cannot even accept that there's a difference between steel and pot-metal... <_<

-----------------------

I really have no problems with this. Hopefully the ones arguing are kids who just can't stand having their toys taken away from them because I see no reason to get so upset. I like how things are going in the UK with that whole VCRA thing. Its organized...

U.S. Airsofters:

Please kindly complete a 5-question survey I created in SurveyMonkey. The topic revolves around how we can keep airsoft 'legal' in the good 'ol U.S. of A.

Please click here to take the survey

Once we have enough participation, we should be able to use the data gathered in creating a more unified front against those who seek to ban the sport in the U.S.

Thanks for your input.

Hanzo

:o

Look at that HORRIBLE trigger discipline!

My thoughts EXACTLY!

This really should be too much of a problem, seeing as most good 'softers get their guns from a specialty store or online, and don't display them in public anyway.

But I AINT putting cheesy orange paint on my gun.... (not like anyone other than other players will see it anyway...)

I really have no problems with this. Hopefully the ones arguing are kids who just can't stand having their toys taken away from them because I see no reason to get so upset. I like how things are going in the UK with that whole VCRA thing. Its organized...

It's more an issue of politicians going after ignorant voters by "cleaning up the streets" and "protecting kids" and slandering us in the process. It's also that these same people are often the ones who are in favor of greater control on real guns as well.

Give an inch and they'll take a mile.

Ok as the OP I'm going to weigh in. I posted this because I hadn't heard of anyone trying to pass a bill against airsoft until yesterday.

That being said, to the best of my knowledge, in Georgia, you can OWN an airsoft gun, but you cannot transport it. You can't play with it where someone might see you. Both are against the law. Thats how this stuff starts. First they get one dumb, backwater place to pass the law, then someone else trys to imitate it. Beaverton Or, same story. You can own them, but you're not allowed to play with them anywhere. Effectivly outlawed within the city limits.

So let me ask you, if they pass a law saying you can't have one in your car, you're not allowed to transport it.... just what do you think you're going to do to get it to the game? It won't happen you say? Hmmmmm... lets think about the money grubbing, power grabbing American polititcian. Still think it won't happen? Just ask the guys in Beaverton how they like being screwed over by the city council despite calm and intelligent conversations with said council.

I'm so sick and tired of fellow Americans saying... "Oh... it'll never happen! They'll be reasonable!" Sure. You wanna bet your favorite sport on it?

You didn't do anything when it was someone elses city. YOu didn't speak out when it was in someone elses state. You were silent when it was the next county over. Now they're in your town asking to take away your guns... now what do you think?

I'm all for saying be responsible with them, but for frak's sake I'm free, white and over 21 and I don't intend on telling the government which toy guns I have, and if I've painted the tips black or not. No... I don't want to buy a $400 gun only to have to store it in a locker at the playing faucility. You guys can argue all you want. The bottom line is that we all know in the dark corners of our minds, we all know that sooner or later there's going to be a nasty, knock down, all out fight over airsoft, and the longer you wait the worse it's going to be. We all know America isn't really a country that's free... we're just living in between laws and rules that restrict us. Sooner or later some politician in your state, city, county will propose to ban them in one way or another, and you guys know it because thats what history tells us.

So please spare me the "Not where I live" routine. Yes... where you live. Bet on it.

I agree that airsoft guns shouldn't be sold like normal toy guns at convenience stores and Wal-Marts. I agree that they shouldn't be brandished in public or while in a vehicle; there are bags for that. They should be kept in cases while in transport.

However, I feel that orange tips are absolutely pointless. As it has been pointed out above, gang members have been painting their guns' tips orange for years now. Some of their guns are fully painted in neon toy-ish schemes. Cops do not hesitate if the gun has an orange tip on it, particularly if it's brandished by teens or young adults. They know better.

Really we should be banning bad parenting and ignorance. Without bad parenting, we wouldn't have issues with dumb kids pointing toy guns at cops and getting shot. The same could be said of ignorance. Education has its place on both ends of the spectrum, between the public AND the police. The general public should be taught safe handling in school. Teach police officers weapon identification, because it's really not hard to tell the difference between a toy and the genuine article with a little bit of training.

However, this has its shortcomings, as there will always be idiots. It is debatable whether this could be solved by education or not. That's not entirely what I'm getting at. If a police officer shoots a dumb kid who points a gun at him, then tough luck. The kid deserves it. He was an idiot, and we do not need idiots in the gene pool. There are too many as it is. A little skimming never hurts. <_<

Most airsoft players should be for this. I think this is more towards the immature kids or stupid adults that go around flashing 10 dollar replicas. If your smart and you transport your airsoft gun the way you should you won't have a problem. Most police officers use a thing called "officer discretion". Most can tell the difference between a moron flashing it and someone who uses it for a hobby.

Archived