Japanese campaign to legalise marriage to comic characters

Vamp V^^V

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Badger is usually pretty forgiving as far as crazy ideas go(hes had quite a few himself over the years) but he has to go ahead and say this guy is, to quote the famous psychologist Russell Barkley "Yup, hes loopy."

On that note, this guy either very stupid, or is actually suffering from delusions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusions

The mentality of to each his own, while being dangerous in its own rights, is generally accepted to not apply to mentally unfit.... aka, people suffering from delusions/hallucinations/kitten withdraw syndrome.

To quote The Avalanches:

Avalanches is above, business continues below

Did I ever tell you the story about

Cowboys! bit , bit bitches and the indians and, fron, frontier psychiatrist

I... I felt strangely hypnotised

I was in another world, a world of 20.000 girls

And milk! rectangles, to an optometrist, the man with the golden eyeball

And tighten your buttocks, pour juice on your chin

I promise my girlfriend id... the violin, violin, violin

I think we can all learn something from that.

To quote The Avalanches:

I think we can all learn something from that.

Excellent song, first thing I thought of when I saw Skarclaw's Sigmund Freud comment.

Punkypink; as said I wasn't denying him of anything, but I was judging him for the raving mad man I presume him to be.

not nice to judge. who is to say which reality is the 'right' one? and if he isnt doing anyone else harm, then why deny him his happiness?

This reality is real. The two-dimensional "reality" of Manga and Anime is a fabrication. And there's nothing wrong with cultivating and maintaining a relationship with fictitious persons. So long as it doesn't become unhealthy. And anyone who has become so obsessed with a fictitious character and a fictitious universe to lose all interest in the real world... well... it's unhealthy.

The ironic thing is that these people who wish to leave the real world in favor of this invented one (and let's be frank, everyone has a reality that they'd like to escape to) have become so disengaged from the real world that they have, in effect, become fictitious persons themselves.

This reality is real. The two-dimensional "reality" of Manga and Anime is a fabrication. And there's nothing wrong with cultivating and maintaining a relationship with fictitious persons. So long as it doesn't become unhealthy. And anyone who has become so obsessed with a fictitious character and a fictitious universe to lose all interest in the real world... well... it's unhealthy.

The ironic thing is that these people who wish to leave the real world in favor of this invented one (and let's be frank, everyone has a reality that they'd like to escape to) have become so disengaged from the real world that they have, in effect, become fictitious persons themselves.

so what if it is unhealthy? how does it harm those people who do not wish to be a part of their world, apart from their judgemental, delicate, conservative "sensibilities"? I personally wouldnt marry an anime character but if that dude wants to, and his feelings and emotions are equally valid as anybody's, then why not?

I just don't understand the need for a legal marriage to anything but a human being, be it a cartoon character, inanimate object or animal. In the case of a cartoon character nothing would be gained other than being able to say that legally he or she was married to that character. In which case he might as well write it on a bit of paper a decree it to be true (although not legal) As far as im concerned, a man can marry a woman, a woman can marry a woman and a man a man. But for someone to marry a cartoon character, inanimate object or animal, is neither right, logical or socially acceptable in my opinion.

Jx

so what if it is unhealthy?

If it's unhealthy, people shouldn't do it.

Well, OK, maybe people should, but only because the gene pool needs a dash of chlorine from time to time.

how does it harm those people who do not wish to be a part of their world, apart from their judgemental, delicate, conservative "sensibilities"?

When said anime character is killed off in the course of a storyline and the writer gets killed by that character's "husband" it becomes a bit of a problem. Or if they decide that the only thing they need to do to get that character to love them is to assassinate the President of the United States.

I personally wouldnt marry an anime character but if that dude wants to, and his feelings and emotions are equally valid as anybody's, then why not?

If his feelings and emotions were equally valid, then yes, sure, whatever, I wouldn't care. The simple fact is, though, that these characters are just that: Characters. Love is a one way street. The (alleged) human being married to the character cannot have their feelings returned by that character. The character is animated but is not alive, it is not sentient, it cannot consent to be married.

I'm all for the marriage of sentient beings, even when of different species (even if one is a machine), but no manga character will ever obtain sentience (although AIs based off of them might). Things that are not sentient cannot consent. And things that cannot consent should not be married.

When said anime character is killed off in the course of a storyline and the writer gets killed by that character's "husband" it becomes a bit of a problem. Or if they decide that the only thing they need to do to get that character to love them is to assassinate the President of the United States.

If someone assassinates the last one, I will love him long time. And he wont even have to give me ten dollah.

---

Seriously...I cannot see this working legally...only because the cartoon characters are not legal personages. End of!

So if someone is married to say kanada from Akira, does that mean no one else can marry them? Because if somoeone can then the marriage is a sham and completely pointless.

Personally I want to marry Betty rubble, she still looks hot now the sexy cave dwelling cow.

Archived