an IRA loadout

filth090

im not sure if this is the right section, mods, move if nessesary.

well i have been airsofting for 5 years now and i wanted something other than my usmc loadout, so i went for an IRA loadout (im Irish). so, on the the question what guns did the IRA use specifically pistols, as i am getting the STAR FNC.

i know they use the following:

• AR18
  • AR15
  • AK47
  • FNC
  • browning high power
  • various S&W
so, i dont want to wait for the new WE browning (when is it coming out?), so what else could i get for a sidearm.
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could also use a CZ-75, Taurus or Beretta.

Obviously KSC do a few versions of CZ but I don't know of anyone who makes a GBB Taurus (springer yes)

A Webley revolver but again I don't think anyone makes one (perhaps Tanaka do a similar style of revolver?)

I remember reading that Glocks were found in a shipment of arms from Libya which I would presume would be Glock 17s as this was in the late 80s.

I'd just like to express my opinion that this is in extremely poor taste. You're planning to do a load out for an especially vicious terrorist group who's activities are both in living memory and have personally affected other members, me for one.

Personally, if someone turned up on a site I was playing on dressed as a provo I'd have to leave or not be responsible for my actions.

yes i have to agree with harbone blue... no matter if your irish or not a IRA loadout is not a good idea, you never know who you are playing with in a skirmish and i for one would be extremely offended with someoen wiht this loadout... to put it simplely for me... this is the past that no-1 wants to remember so not a good idea

im afraid i would have to agree with the two guys above, not such a good idea

some loadouts are just a big no-no and may become offensive to some, someone on another forum wanted to do a taliban loadout, he had the same response

Eugh, Im not wanting to start a politicial row, but do you not, think that an IRA Loadout in ireland may not be the best idea? I'd Personally prefer to keep the politics out of airsoft. it seems a little bit on the sensitive side especially the recent happenings.

Just Realised that most of the anti-posters are either from britain or NI, is there any irish users which feel the same way?

It's a fair point and one that has been expressed on this forum when this subject was approached previously.

On the other hand though people don't seem to be quite so offended by airsofters 'dressing up' as Taliban or Islamic Fundamentalists. I have been to games where people have been dressed as Taliban fighters and I have seen pictures and video of this occuring at sites all around the UK all in the name of 'realism'

Perhaps the problem with the IRA airsoft loadout is that it is too close too home? I mean the majority of us have never been or will ever go to Iraq or Afghanistan so maybe this makes it less offensive as it is something that is happening in a far off land?

You could then look at the WW2 airsofters who dress as Nazis or the Vietnam airsofters who dress as Viet Cong, do you guys find that acceptable?

What ever your opinion is is an extremely emotive subject which will only lead to argument and no doubt this thread being locked.

Edit.

Oh and rudds makes a very good point. Good luck if you are stopped in your car by the PSNI on the way to the game!!

In my view an IRA, Taliban, etc. load-out is the same as having a Nazi load-out... Most people don't seem to have a problem with Nazi load-outs (which, BTW, I DO have a problem with) so why an issue with IRA, Taliban, etc.?

One man's "Terrorist" is another man's "Freedom Fighter".

Keep in mind that Im not Irish, English or any nationality involved, but just two thoughts:

1) Morals (apart from playing ethics) in airsoft? For gods sake: we are reenacting/imitating war. Isnt it already horrible enough that we think soldiers, war, army stuff is cool? Go ask any civilian who has had to suffer under a war (like my mother who was born in Germany in 1943) what they think about playing a game based on war?

2) Not defending the IRA here, Im a pacifist and I reject all violence, no matter for what cause: who has caused more civilian casualties? The IRA, the brits in Ireland (or any other colony), the USMC in Iraq, the SS in Poland, .... Hell, just recently I learned that the D-Day invasion killed more french than the german bombings in the UK!

Said that, I also think that an IRA loadout, while not bad in itself, may upset people in your country, the same way a '70s Para loadout would upset players in Londonderry. i wouldnt do it, not out of respect, but simply because it could make people feel bad.

Personally i beleive its too early for an IRA loadout and too close to home. if it all blows over hopefully, mabey 100 years down the line. I personally dont like replicating loadouts of current military forces, and instead come up with my own. If i find myself wearing a nations camouflage for a particular reason -(For example DPM as it is cheaply and locally availible) i will not wear any form of insignia in case i offend anyone.

I'm going to back what chris_u'5 has just said. People dress as WW2 era German soldiers (just because they're Geman doesn't make them Nazis) and people don't blink an eye dispite the fact that they slaughtered millions of people. However to save face, I suggest the OP doesn't state that he's basing his loadout on that of the IRA but rather a loadout based on that used by a freedom fighting group based in Western Europe.

Josh

ugh, please dont make this a political row, i just wanted to know what guns were used (the loadout will probably be no more than woodland bdu's and a balaclava) i do NOT condone, support, or appreciate anything the ira has done. however, somebody needs to play op-for

sorry if this post or thread comes across as rude or offensive, however i DO realize that most of you guys are trying to save me a huge headache. BUT it is YOUR choice to read this thread. at this point i am just gathering info, im not even sure if im going to do this.

so please guys no more politics

To answer the OP's original question...

The IRA had access to AR18's in the 70's. AK47's and AR'15's in the 80's.

As for sidearms, basicly whatever they could get their hands on, so G17, M9, revolvers, etc

Josh

Edit:

Fin, I think we need a new forum rule. If someones thread about a loadout offends someone else, then they should just move onto the next topic. Simple.

It's a fair point and one that has been expressed on this forum when this subject was approached previously.

On the other hand though people don't seem to be quite so offended by airsofters 'dressing up' as Taliban or Islamic Fundamentalists. I have been to games where people have been dressed as Taliban fighters and I have seen pictures and video of this occuring at sites all around the UK all in the name of 'realism'

Perhaps the problem with the IRA airsoft loadout is that it is too close too home? I mean the majority of us have never been or will ever go to Iraq or Afghanistan so maybe this makes it less offensive as it is something that is happening in a far off land?

Spot on.

It's rather ignorant for an American to suggest "it's no big deal" to do an IRA load-out.

To put it in perspective, I suspect most people in the UK would find an IRA-themed load-out about as tasteful as if I dressed up as Osama Bin Laden and attended an airsoft game with a set of fake wings attached while a friend was dressed as a tall building. :waggle:

I must say, I think this is one of the big problems with the whole "geardo" thing.

To paraphrase what somebody else said, one mans freedom fighter is another mans don't really care.

To the OP I'd suggest that if you want a change from an American load-out you could do a lot worse than, perhaps, going for BRITISH soldier load-out of some sort.

Fin, I think we need a new forum rule. If someones thread about a loadout offends someone else, then they should just move onto the next topic. Simple.

We already HAVE a forum rule that covers not offending other forum users.

It's just as easy to suggest the OP is in breach of that rule.

Beyond that, your suggestion will never work. If, as you're suggesting, people basically ignore anything they don't like then it opens the door for people to post anything offensive that they wish to and expect people who are offended to just go elsewhere.

Or, perhaps it'd be OK for me to ask about putting together a Ku Klux Klan load-out as well?

Think it was agreed in a thread similar to this a while back whatever loadout you do it will offend somebody in some country

Exactly.

Certain people in the Muslim community are very likely to be offended by airsofters dressing and British or US soldiers.

Especially if themselves or their family have been harmed or killed by soldiers from these countries.

Hell, even some soldiers may be offended that airsofters are playing dress up and copying them! (use of rank slides, cap badges etc)

It's a subject that may very well be best left alone or at the very least common sense applied.

Technically the IRA didn't have a specific dress code as they wern't an organised military group (compared to the British Army) so dress just like the 30 odd rentals that turn upto my site every weekend and run around with AK47's. Black boots, some kind of camo trousers, a dark jacket and a balaclava. People won't be able to tell the differance.

Josh

Not my thing but I don't see the problem with it, there are many factions of the IRA from the provo's, free state, continuiety and RIRA. You shouldnt catagorise them all with the actions of one. For instance the old free state ira are often reinacted in military shows etc, these wouldn't be the types of paramilitarys that murdered innocents. It would help if more of the people objecting actually knew more about what they find offencive, there are far more things in our sport that wouldbe more offencive to us, Nazi's for example but we are only playing toy soldiers and not politis so we over look this.

Archived