P90, How much do you love yours?

greg

So, I notice every other post is about M16-a-likes & these days the G36 & M14's seem to be growing in post popularity.

But other than the odd, 'my contacts are burned', 'the mags don't feed' & the ubiquitous 'wot am best silentist gun', the P90 doesn't get a huge amount of press.

So I figured this could be the place for all three of the 90 lovers to share some useful advice, & the haters can pile in with the usual 'it's too small for me & I can't get mag pouches' stuff. :D

Greg.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought mine just after they released 'Version 2' of the TM P90 RD (If you remember, they dropped the moulds whilst moving factories, and had to remake them?).

Great gun. I fitted the Laylax box mag, and a suppressor. It has served as a nice loan gun for a few years now - completely stock internally.

It's in the top 3 of the Tokyo Marui HOP units. I think it goes VSR>M14>P90>Everything else. People couldn't believe the range I got out of it with 0.2g's, just with the stock mechbox and HOP unit.

Recently, I've started leaving it at home - It has developed an annoying left-hand curve to the shots. I believe the quick-takedown feature is to blame, but I've yet to fiddle with it and find out. It's probably an easy fix, but I'm lazy :lol:

Overall, it has served me really well, and it's about time it had it's own thread :D

Ben.

Well I got into airsoft because of the P90, and yes stargate for that matter. it just feels right and is very easy to shoulder and as what has already been said has a gerat hop unit that is up there witht he best of them.

Going to get another P90 in the near future as the one I've got now has seen better days (And on top of that the red dot has gone and for no reason can I fix it), and it is from the orginal batch of P90's too.

I'll always praise the Tokyo Marui p90, and have heard some nice remarks about the classic army and ACM version P90's. but have no real first hand experience with them.

It's too small for me to hold comfortably.

Erm, no. The reach from the buut-pad to the pistol grip is actually identical to an M4 with the stock extended.

It's got a short barrel so it's only for CQB.

Nope. The barrel is longer than your M4.

It can't be upgraded like a core common gun.

Why bother? It already has a top-class hop-up and a modern gearbox design. Any gears will fit and you can buy Systema metal bushes to replace TM ones.

I kept my P90 standard for a couple of years simply cos I wanted it to be the gun I'd be able to use when everything else went pete-tong.

I've since upgraded it with a few tasteful modifications. It's got a 1J spring, metal bushes, helical gears (just for smoothness), an Area 1000 piston head and it runs very nicely off a 7.4v LiPo without the need to butcher the butt-pad like you would in order to fit a 9.6v mini.

Which still won't shoot as well as the gun with a 7.4v LiPo btw.

Externally, I've done what I could for realism. It's got a GB-Tech receiver and a real-steel Ring sight.

Which is great for bragging rights but, in all honesty, they're not that good for aiming with. :unsure:

I hate to say this, but get an inner barrel for an M4 and one for the P90, the M4 is a wee bit longer. But it still perfoms if not better than the M4 out the box.

Right thats it, where in the UK can you get a P90 (Tokyo Marui) that is in stock, does anyone know for certain, most places are sold out and or just the Classic army one/AGM one (Classic army one is available from land warrior). AM going to force a team mate to join the fan club, he needs to have one, must infact. Am on a mission after the ceration of this thread!

I ahte to say this, but get an inner barrel for an M4 and one for th P90, the M4 is a wee bit longer. But it still perfoms if not better than the M4 out the box.

Oops, yeah. At the time it was the MP5 I was thinking of.

IIRC, the P90 has the same barrel as the G36c.

Funny how people think of the P90 abd G36c as suitable for totally different roles while,in reality, they offer identical performance.

Time for some praise for the mags methinks. :D

Besides the mag pouch thing, which isn't that much of a biggie, the hicaps are AWESOME mags. They ALWAYS feed for me, and can empty the whole mag on a single wind.

I hardly ever use mine anymore though, not since taking up sniping. I'm actually feeling a teensy bit guilty for neglecting the poor thing. Though my girlfriend has her eye on it, she didn't like using the full size full metal M16 last time she came. ^_^

My first skirmishable softer was a P90.

I walked into AA & was given a cracking bit of advice, 'look mate, they are more or less all the same inside, so pick one you like'. Back then that was pretty much true, & I worked my way around the shop, trying every single gun on the wall.

I actually left the 90 'till last 'cos it looked sort of odd. But, it blew all the others away. It fit me, or I fit it. Either way, it just felt right. Light, short maneuverable, the cheek/shoulder weld thing was perfect.

So off I went. Even then, I had the 'max it out attitude' & soon found, that no one knew much about these (at the time), the AA engineers were always too busy working on M16-a-likes, so I had to take it to wolf. :mellow:

Who charged me a fortune to take it from bog std to a piston shattering 300fps, with 9.6v 1600mah 'j' battery conversion. I thought I was the dogs.

Of course, the hurricane upgrade kit, they fitted must have come out of the reject bin, 'cos it wouldn't go 3 mags without something else going bang! :rolleyes: After a few Saturdays down Elite Epsom, playing a game, followed by having Tom fix yet another breakage, I figured I'd better learn how to do it myself.................

That gun has been the test bed for just about every advance in airsoft upgrading that I have made: It's currently a 300(ish) fps 1800rpmer that I still, to this day, swear by in places like Epsom. It holds my personal best high rof: Emptied a 300 rnd mag in 5 seconds, when connected to an 11.1 30C 3300mah lipo! Who says those mags dont feed. :P

I got a second one off the forums for £100 & did that one up as an electro sniper. Had a 180 spring in it for a few shots just for a laugh!. It's currently doing about 400fps & gives 12" groups at 60m with Guarder Hpm .28's. Yes, that hop is amazing.

& this year I got a CA sportline, did a minireveiw in the tec-sec if you want to dig it up.

It is the culmination of my P90 career, 350fps, 1700rpm & quiet as a mouse. Loads of Dynomat Extreem. I got the gearbox area so quiet, the only noticeable noise is the bb's in the hi-cap, reshuffling under full auto. I had to dynomat the hop area & remove the cocking handle spring to cut down on vibration. It has the Hydrographic Hardwoods green HD finnish, a lalax double flat short socom silencer & 300mm MB barrel. A joy to use, but a little heavier than the average 90, due to the Dynomatting. Feels kind of solid though.

I love them all, but that one is the pinnacle.

Reckon it's the turn of the haters now. :D

Greg.

helical gears (just for smoothness),

I'm currently using the stock gears in the CA sportline & debating what to replace them with. I've put every effort into keeping this one super quiet, so helicals were on the list.

They have recently lost popularity, so finding anyone to do a comparison has been hard.

Do they make much difference? How do they affect the rof? Are they noticably quieter/less viberation?

Greg.

Some say that words can't describe one's love towards P90...

lewact3.th.jpg prawadx9.th.jpg

Pictures can. And nope, it's not mine ;) But seriously, if it goes for HU unit in TM P90 i was very impressed when I saw the range and accuracy of this wee gun comparing to my ICS M4. No wonder people fell in love with it. However I don't think I'll be able to get over the looks of this gun - being pretty much H&K and Armalite hardcore fan doesn't help a lot. Anyhow, really nice piece of equipment!

Some say that words can't describe one's love towards P90...

lewact3.th.jpg prawadx9.th.jpg

Pictures can. And nope, it's not mine ;) But seriously, if it goes for HU unit in TM P90 i was very impressed when I saw the range and accuracy of this wee gun comparing to my ICS M4. No wonder people fell in love with it. However I don't think I'll be able to get over the looks of this gun - being pretty much H&K and Armalite hardcore fan doesn't help a lot. Anyhow, really nice piece of equipment!

Any idea what the thing on top of the mag is?

Greg.

PS, never thought this would see 10 sensible posts in just over an hour. :blink:

it is a good gun, mate of mine has one.

i recently had it apart to install a fet switch, i must say how surprised

i was at how simple it was to strip and reassemble, and how much space

there is inside the case.

sound matt sounds a plan, as does a lithuim battery that fits. info to be

passed on.

i have a question though, we had a 1j spring to install and i could not

get the head/spring off the piston, no screw or block in the rear,

anyone got knowledge how to get a new spring in?

it is a good gun, mate of mine has one.

1, i recently had it apart to install a fet switch, i must say how surprised

i was at how simple it was to strip and reassemble, and how much space

there is inside the case.

2, sound matt sounds a plan, as does a lithuim battery that fits. info to be

passed on.

3, i have a question though, we had a 1j spring to install and i could not

get the head/spring off the piston, no screw or block in the rear,

anyone got knowledge how to get a new spring in?

1, Yeah, no screws to do the barrel & hop & just the two to get the gear box out. I don't think there is anything out there as easy. A dream compared to an AR.

2, Go with the Dynomat Extreem, it's the easiest to use as it is soft & backed with the foil. Cut it into small sections & layer it up for best effect. Removing the shell case ejection cover plate will make doing the front of the gearbox area easier.

I use the latest Flight Power 'EonX' 7.4v 30C 2200mah. Same size as an 8.4v mini so goes in the std bat compartment. Punches way beyond a 9.6v 4300mah nimh. Good for 6000-8000 shots. Only £33.

3, Marui?

Greg.

ps has anyone applied a rubberised finish to the body?

looks like it should be rubberised, and black really.

The same texture as the stock butt plates?

Hydrographics offered to do the whole thing in rubberised when I got the Hardwoods thing done. I figgered I'd keep it sleak as I intended to drag it through the bushes. Got them to do the butplate as per orriginal, feels good.

Greg.

Bunny ears? You know, the type people stick to their motorcycle helmets?

Ben.

No silly, not on the receiver. :rolleyes:

On the mag, it looks like some sort of knob,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like the bikers with the bunny ears do. :blink:

Greg.

Mags don't need winding but I do find myself having to tap them a lot to make them feed if on semi.

Otherwise... great range, easy to carry, light weight... a gun in Stargate! Index's perfectly for me. Its a great little gun.

You can get cheap Viper mag pouches now, so thats not a problem and there is a good selection of Chinasoft models coming out.

For the money, get a KA (Chinasoft) model.

The TM's are silly money now.

Though I have both, and I have upgraded the TM to an M10O, metal bushings, bearing spring guide and head, etc etc. The Chinasoft gun out shoots it.

Both are good guns, but you can't go wrong with a P90 as long as the mags are good for you and if the hicaps are the issue, there are 150 round mids out now. :blink:

Yeah... its a hell of a gun and better then just about every other small AEG in every regard.

Did I mention its in Startgate?

My 2 fav guns in airsoft are... P90 and M14.

<3 P90s :D im in the process when i get the money that is of making a P90TR into a PS90TR to go with my P90 RD which has a Gemtech Silencer on and is completely stock :)

Mind you i do need a vest of some sort which can take P90 Mags cause atm the mags stick right out of my weesatch/wasatch thingy

I've since upgraded it with a few tasteful modifications. It's got a 1J spring, metal bushes, helical gears (just for smoothness), an Area 1000 piston head and it runs very nicely off a 7.4v LiPo without the need to butcher the butt-pad like you would in order to fit a 9.6v mini.

Which still won't shoot as well as the gun with a 7.4v LiPo btw.

Externally, I've done what I could for realism. It's got a GB-Tech receiver and a real-steel Ring sight.

Which is great for bragging rights but, in all honesty, they're not that good for aiming with. :unsure:

What helical gears are you running, since im after a set?

You can get the REM T3 to 'fix' the white sight issue when it gets washed out :) (im still after a real "steel" sight unit :()

See here: I think this is Orca's website infact

anyone got any idea on the piston dealio?

Version 6 only if i remember rightly, since the cylinder head has the nozzle which the air passes throu off to one side instead of being in the middle as in the Version 2/3

If the piston head is the Marui one, then the screw is hidden inside it. If you wrap a bit of cloth round it to protect it, you can gently grip it with a set of pliers and unscrew it. Look at Mechbox.com for a video on what I mean.

The pouch dilemma is at last solved! I'm not a fan of the Viper ones, luckily Pantac now make single and double molle P90 pouches! I just bought the double pouches in both Olive Drab and Coyote Brown to go with my assorted vests. Usual Pantac quality :) I get all my Pantac stuff from Airsoft Supply Drop (and incidentally my Stargate sling from there too!). Linky to the pouches:

http://www.airsoftsupplydrop.co.uk/store/p...rown-p-839.html

I haven't used my P90 for ages. It sits in the boot as a spare gun. Last time I used it at Finmere was because my Scar died. Whipped out the P90 and had one of the best afternoon games ever! Accurate and long range. I must use it again!

Archived