Primaries, secondaries and sidearms...

The General

If you can break the mold of loadouts and still beat a team of experienced players, who is to say what is best (gun)?

Basho

This is so true.

The 1st time I took a vsr to Longmore, I was the only one & no one noticed.

2nd time, I got a few comments, 3rd time complaints.

Last time, I noticed a proportionally large amount of vsr/sniper rifles at what was previously considered a CQB environment. :D

Seems I had single handedly broken the mold. ;) People had cottoned on, but the complaints continued. :rolleyes:

I've always made my load outs 'game specific'. Looking at the terrain & rules, to figure out what combination of airsoft weapons will bring the best results in that specific environment.

Having said that, I'm a 'fun player'. My 'fun', is mainly generated by getting kills. Preferably satisfying kills, quality over quantity if you get me.

Greg.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use my RPK for my primary suppor t gunner role.

I have my ME56 shotty in a scabbard strapped to my back for buildings (RPK don't do well round corners and its gotta be on semi)

An MP5K for secondary hung on my molle tac vest(if the Fiance isn't using it lol)

An AEG Deagle secondary in a thigh holster so I won't have any GBB failures when I really don't need them.

Using load bearing equipment it's all quite managable to carry.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually just go with rifle + pistol, sometimes I don't even bother with the pistol. The only time I carry two rifles is if sniping, when I find a compact AEG is more useful as a secondary than a pistol. If doing two rifles I certainly don't lug a pistol around as well.

I always take a spare rifle to a game though, you never know when they are going to pack up.

My most useful tertiary weapon is a pouch full of pyros....

Cheers

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

In the department of failing rifles, a side arm is more of a voodoo charm then anything. Whenever I have both my rifle works. When I only have a rifle, something goes wrong. <_< So now I always have both even if I was not in a situation where I wouldn't need the "CQB" advantages of a pistol.

I used to lug around a G36K and then strap a P90 or UZI to the back of my belt (right hand reach-around style) and then a USP GBB in a right thigh holster. I used to think I was sooooo cool cuz everyone always pointed it out and said it was cool.

sadly, I never used anything aside from the G36. ever.

Now I carry just a rifle and pistol, mostly because pistols look cool and I have a spare mag pouch to throw it in anyway.

Generally, I take no less than 5 guns with me to any game because I'm paranoid as hell that one of them might go down for the count. If it's a long weekend 2 to 3 day event, I'll bring 7 minimum, but that's partly because I know I'll end up loaning some to my teammates at some point.

In game though ... One primary, maybe a sidearm. I've gotta pack around a full days worth of kit on my person (6 liters / 200 Ounces of water, food, mags, extra ammo, communication equipment, some tools). So carrying more than one primary, especially when a lot of what we do becomes essentially armed hiking, isn't ideal. I have considered taking a second AR broken down into two halves and shoved into a Sotech Go-Bag but I generally pack whatever I need (two spare ARs) into a rifle case and just leave that at the FOB. The prospect of having two primaries that use different mags isn't a good idea for me. I've done it once before when I had an AR and an AK as a back up but the problem with that was that the AK had all it's own mags, and my rig didn't hold the AK mags ... so I had to have a separate AK rig at the FOB which kinda sucked. So from there on out, I just brought ARs with me, which made things easier for everyone as pretty much all of the riflemen on the team use ARs so mag swapping was straightforward and when someone needed to borrow a gun, they could grab one of mine and keep using their own mags and rig.

When I do use a sidearm it'll either be one of my TM Glocks or my TM MEU with Kimber kit. However, once the Magpul PTS FPG (FKA FMG9) comes out, I'll probably just use that as that'll be the perfect back up for me.

I have my primary with 8 midcaps and a secondary with three mags.

I carry 8 mags mainly to loan or if its a loooong game i'll go through more than the usual 2 mids a game. I have the Pistol +3 as a back up because on more than one occasion my primary has broken mid game (stripped gears, chopped wires, the works) and i've had to resort to a secondary which saved me. Whenever I revert to my secondary though I kind of think of myself as... 'disposable' and i'll use myself to draw fire or decoy.

I've been thinking about slinging a smaller gun that uses the the same mags as my primary (meaning KAC PDW) for those moments that i've experienced more than a few times already.

I consider that it's essential to take a spare weapon or two (or 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.... etc) to a game, because there have been *SO* many times when I've got the AEG I planned to use all day out of the case and gone to chrono it only to find the batteries are all flat, or the hop is jammed or it's firing too hot, or I left all the mags at home, or God-knows what. In that case, you pull out one of the spares, and you're still okay to play for the day without having to resort to hiring.

Plus when a team-mate suffers the same fate, you can smugly say "What, not brought a spare? Well, I guess you can borrow one of mine..."

I tend not to carry more than one long-arm into the field, as it's just cumbersome. Sometimes I'll sling a shotgun on my back as well as having a pistol in a thigh rig. The only exception is my CQB rig, which has twin pistols in thigh holsters, twin MP7s in the large pockets of my assault vest and a G36 or UMP or something as a primary. Because sometimes it's just cool to dump the primary and go double-gunning it with twin MP7s. :D

Well after slinging a TM M14 Socom round for a days skirmish, I realised that at the most, a TM G36c or a Kalash AKSU74 as a backup with a TM USP Aep was about as much as anyone could really carry.

I even tried to carry my TM M14 Socom and a CA SCAR Heavy... :rolleyes: Yeah, I was nackered after about a mile. <_<

In fact, come the afternoon, I found myself slinging the AKSU with the pistol as backup.

Pistol is handy, hardly gets in the way and is light.

Having 2 aeg's its too much. Its starting to get annoying and slows me down. I am far more mobile if I drop the ciras with the camelbak and just use a chest rig and the basics. I'm a big guy and its nice to have all the gear but it slows even the fittest guys down. Its not too bad when patroling but when you need to get low and in cover, it makes you an easy target with all this gear.

If I decided to have a bolt action, I think I would take an Aeg as a backup with a pistol. However, I would be moving much more slowly then and not care too much about the extra burden.

I think A primary and a sidearm and a few mags for each is all you need really, even for long games. I feel that the notion of carrying 2 long guns or even a long gun and a SMG is ridiculous. At the GZ weekender I came across a player carrying two pistols a squad gun a shotgun and an assault rifle! even if your reasoning for carrying two main guns is that one might break down, surely you should invest in better equipment in the future :P

I just carry my primary (which is usually a carbine of some kind, or an SMG) and my trusty AEP. The AEP is more for state of mind, knowing that I can do SOMETHING if I run out of ammo or my gun goes down. My pistol has come it handy a couple times, and I have gotten a whole total one 1 kill with it =D.

Generally, I take no less than 5 guns with me to any game because I'm paranoid as hell that one of them might go down for the count. If it's a long weekend 2 to 3 day event, I'll bring 7 minimum, but that's partly because I know I'll end up loaning some to my teammates at some point.

In game though ... One primary, maybe a sidearm. I've gotta pack around a full days worth of kit on my person (6 liters / 200 Ounces of water, food, mags, extra ammo, communication equipment, some tools). So carrying more than one primary, especially when a lot of what we do becomes essentially armed hiking, isn't ideal. I have considered taking a second AR broken down into two halves and shoved into a Sotech Go-Bag but I generally pack whatever I need (two spare ARs) into a rifle case and just leave that at the FOB. The prospect of having two primaries that use different mags isn't a good idea for me. I've done it once before when I had an AR and an AK as a back up but the problem with that was that the AK had all it's own mags, and my rig didn't hold the AK mags ... so I had to have a separate AK rig at the FOB which kinda sucked. So from there on out, I just brought ARs with me, which made things easier for everyone as pretty much all of the riflemen on the team use ARs so mag swapping was straightforward and when someone needed to borrow a gun, they could grab one of mine and keep using their own mags and rig.

When I do use a sidearm it'll either be one of my TM Glocks or my TM MEU with Kimber kit. However, once the Magpul PTS FPG (FKA FMG9) comes out, I'll probably just use that as that'll be the perfect back up for me.

Damn...5...7! Have you had multiple go down on you for one game/event?

Gotta have faith in the techs

I only take 3 guns to a game day: my m4, my 1911 and my sniper rifle :P

I only carry the 1911 + 1 other at a time though, more than 1 full size (by that I mean any non-sidearm in a holster) is just too much

to need 7 leads me to believe that the airsoft gods do not favour you :blink:

Damn...5...7! Have you had multiple go down on you for one game/event?

Gotta have faith in the techs

It's not that I don't have faith in the techs, it's more that I know that a failure is inevitable in all these guns. Yeah ... I'm kinda paranoid in that regard. There have been one or two games that I've gone to over the decades in which I showed up and my gun was down before we even started. There have been many games in which I've had to loan out up to 5 of my spare rifles to teammates. I used to bring all quality guns with me and be a little nervous about loaning them, so now I bring 2 nice guns for myself, and 4 to 5 reliable JG CQBR MOE Magpul'ed guns for anyone that needs a loaner. That way if they have a failure I don't mind. There have been several games when I showed up and my NiCd/NiMh batteries were totally dead (which is why I've since 100% switched to Lipos and have never had a problem since ... knock on wood). Still, I'm so paranoid that I won't show up to a game with less than 10 Lipos full charged. For a full weekend game I'll charge all 15 Lipos. It's not that I'm trying to show off, and the guys in my group know that. They realize that I have a tendency to over prepare for every contingency and expect the worst. I don't start relaxing on the long drive to the game until I've figured out what that one thing that I forgot is. Once I realize what it is ... I accept it ... and then enjoy the rest of the day. I guess I'm just shy of having OCD when it comes to airsoft. I'm working on it though. ;)

As for in game, nowadays I've been using one long gun, a side arm in a high rise drop leg, four extra PMAGs in FastMags, and two spare pistol mags in Eagle FB pouches. It's surprisingly fun and freeing without all the extra kit piled on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I take all my guns to any game I go to - (which up until now was only a STAR SL9 and my TM SIG 552).

Although now I also have a M9 AEP and a JG G36c which will also be coming to games with me. The G36 is mainly so if a friend is coming I can lend them that one, or one of my team mates has a gun go down. This is only because my team mates both have snipers which they've spent a lot upgrading, so don't have an AEG backup, only a pistol.

I have done games with both the 552 and the SL9, generally I find I never know how a game is gonna play out.

I'm comfortable enough with putting the SL9 down against a barricade temporarily to run in with the 552 if I find myself assaulting. If I'm supporting my snipers I'll be using the SL9 but have the 552 just in case.

If I'm defending, I can put down a lot of fire before having to reload. I've even managed to reload one while firing the other.

I've also found myself in a good position to get a few kills and one of my guns just doesn't work. (I've had the hop disintegrate, the motor fall out etc) I can just pop out the other one and take the shot.

However, now I have the pistol, I probably won't be taking two rifles out into a game. The safe zone isn't too far away, so if I find I'm gonna be in a certain role, I can always nip back and grab the other rifle.

It's really up to you, and is totally possible, I'm not the fittest guy on the field and I manage the whole day carrying them around. A decent sling for both is an absolute must though, and some padding on your shoulders otherwise you wake up the next day not being able to move :P

Archived