Primaries, secondaries and sidearms...

The General

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally only carry an AEG. I've never found myself successful when I needed to go to my secondary (which was VERY rarely). I like to simply make my primary dependable enough to work all the time, thus saving me weight, and allowing me to more comfortably carry my kit.

The thing is tho you never know when something may break.

I've had soldered motor connections break, push fit motor connections fall off, trigger contacts burn out, box mags stop feeding (m249), batteries die in guns which take more than a min to change and the usual running out of ammo.

I've had things like that happen when I've been the last or one of the last people holding objectives so its at times like that when I'm glad to carry a pistol.

If you're not very confident using a pistol just practice a little and remember to take you're time.

I think one thing that some people tend to do when they end up with just a pistol is try and get as many shots off as they can in the shortest period of time possible then they find themselves without any ammo.

Personaly, I think that 2 AEG's is a bit overkill. AEG and shotty/boltie, maybe. But not 2 AEG's...

Though, as long as mags and my propane adapter turns up in time, I will be running around CS:W next sunday with an AGM M4 and four pistols about my person..

Gas is much more lols in every possible way.

Lets just hope nobody's a smoker eh MDK? ;)

Especially as my single AGM M4 mag has a bloody irritating habbit of spilling it's guts everywhere at random intervals....

BIG Bada boom.

I’ve only carried two rifles and a sidearm once, and it was to fit the game, which basically mandated that I’d need to be able to shoot as much ammo as possible for as long as possible, without having to be terribly mobile. Unquestionably the toughest event I’ve ever been to..

I was a fireteam leader in part of an Opfor team that was defending a number of strung-out objectives (“missile sites”) from a team of guys who had just been put through two days of training by retired and active duty Navy SEALs, and the SEALs themselves were leading that enemy team. Needless to say, I wanted as many freakin guns as I could possibly reach to try to save my dumb *albartroth* with…:D Carried a TM Type 89 and slung an underfolder AK across my back, and had my WA 1911 in a drop leg. I got down to my last Type 89 mag just on suppression, and though I never used the AK, I was very glad it was there in case.

That said though, carrying two long arms all the time would be pointless for me. I always carry a pistol for the two basic reasons that AEG’s do have a nasty habit of going down occasionally, and that sometimes, you just wind up blowing through your rifle ammo and still need to put out some fire while you try to reload (which, I’m with Shriven and Stu, is hysterically intense). Like everyone says, you next-to-never need your pistol, but I’ve had to sling a putzed-out AEG and bust out the GBB on more than a few occasions. I’ve also found that I’m still essentially competitive with just a pistol, so there’s no need to hump around another bang stick. Definitely can’t put out the volume of fire or the effective range as you can with a rifle, but if you shoot intentionally and efficiently, and if your field craft is good, you can definitely cause some casualties with a sidearm.

Evansy, yeah, that seems to be true. People want to suppress with a pistol, and try to use it like they do an AEG, where you can basically shoot at anything you see regardless of whether you're necessarily certain you can hit it. With a handgun, yeah, you have to be more careful with your shots, even if you have spare mags.

I've had soldered motor connections break, push fit motor connections fall off, trigger contacts burn out, box mags stop feeding (m249), batteries die in guns which take more than a min to change and the usual running out of ammo.

I've had things like that happen when I've been the last or one of the last people holding objectives so its at times like that when I'm glad to carry a pistol.

If you're not very confident using a pistol just practice a little and remember to take you're time.

I think one thing that some people tend to do when they end up with just a pistol is try and get as many shots off as they can in the shortest period of time possible then they find themselves without any ammo.

I doubt it has anything to do with confidence or capability using a pistol, its just realistic. Ive never been in that situation you are describing in years of playing.

If you are going to walk back to the cars and get another AEG anyway, might as well get a move on rather than sally forth with a pistol. No offense to any pistoleer extroadinaires.

Meh, not to be said extraordinaire, but in the middle of some firefight, I'd rather be able to pull out basically anything that'll keep me shooting rather than just standing up and yelling "mah *suitcase* brok" and walking off the field. I can grab another gun after the game (or during a lull if it's an all day thing or whatever) anyway, so the idea for me is knowing that even if my gun dies, I'll still be of some immediate use rather than just puttering off. But like you said, no offense intended to those who do it a different way, it's all preference and what works based on individual experience.

Battery dies mid game, pistol is handy till you can sort it out. Cant think why another rifle would be worth carrying.

But a pistol comes into its own when suddenly changing from open ground into very close CQB. (even more so if single shot rules in structures apply) Pistol is then your friend.

Me, I carry silly amounts of pistols. Last game I put my rifle down for the afternoon and increased my kill ratio exponentially.

I usually carry a TM M14 socom (semi only) as a primary and have started to carry a holstered JG VZ61 (stockless, with clone

doctor RDS) as my secondary , I used to carry only a TM mk23 as secondary but the VZ61 is much better for clearing bunkers/

villages etc, same sort of FPS and almost as quiet but with a nice option of automatic fire and 60 round mags....

I tried a couple of games using a combination of slung (biathalon style) M14 and M4 (no sling), patrolling with the M4 and swapping

to the M14 as the situation dictated but it was a ball ache, and I just went back to the M14 / VZ61 combo.

Jim

i play with a AEG and a AEP at the same time. I will start carrying a GBB pistol aswell once i get my new vest.

my AEP is a TM Skorpion. Its just like a huge pistol. It took me a while to find a decent leg holster that comfortably fit it.

My AEG dies, jams or i run out of ammo, i can whip out my sKorpion. Since its a TM the hop-up its amazing. Its got great range and accuracy for the size, easily beating out GBB pistols.

Coupled with the 2 normal and 2 drum mags i carry along with the rest of my ######, i have a enough ammo for a full game. Sincei play at a CQB'ish site its great. Also the mini battery's are cheap and tiny. Its really no extra effort carrying it and the look on people's faces when its a side arm only game is hilarious!

But my point is, I tend to keep my guns running perfectly, with quality batteries, which means, in the VERY rare occasion that something goes wrong, I just laugh about it and deal with it.

A pistol is a pistol and a rifle is a rifle. With a good rifle, one needs no secondaries ;)

Exactly. I am a DM and only carry my rifle. The extra mobility outweighs my MER restriction nearly always.

Quoting this because its awesome and exactly how I play:

I had a game sunday where my sniper rifle was my primary and my radio was my secondary.

Currently I run a GBB M4 primary and a gas pistol in a 6004. It's for close encounters and those "oh suitcase" moments when my last mag runs dry and danger is still close. You could argue that I would be better off with a couple more M4 mags than the USP, but it's a warm fuzzy feeling knowing I have a locked and loaded weapon at all times. I don't usually carry a spare pistol mag, though--that's just pessimistic.

Once my team was occupying a group of buildings, and doing our best to keep the enemy at a distance. Eventually they managed to surround us and they were picking us off from all sides when my battery died. I ditched the AEG, drew my .45 and hid in the middle building while the enemy closed in. Just as they began to feel safe I started running around to the windows and dropping them left and right like that Nazi Zombie game. By then the rest of my team was crowded in our last structure at the top of a hill, and in the middle of my killing spree one of them sniped me in the head thinking there were no friendlies left in that area. I like to think I could have had a kill for every BB in my pistol mag that day if I wasn't assassinated.

OTOH, I was recently gunned down while I fumbled the draw. Got shot in the face at the same game while going back to my primary. Need some more practice switching weapons efficiently under fire I guess.

I prefer a pistol and its snappy trigger response when stuff gets really up close.

Actually, that is a damned good point. There is always trigger delay on an AEG.

If I was to carry a secondary though, itd be a 3-shot shotgun. The mix of clean trigger response, and spread pattern, makes it unbeatable for playing bop the gopher when people are sticking their heads round walls.

Ive been known to have a M249 on the front and a g36c on my back with two desert eagles at my sides when Im playing woodland. Im quite strong allthough my lower back gets a bit numb after a full day. I can dual wield the aegs for some good suppressing fire and quality intimidation factor. I can also set up the m249 on its bipod in a nest and move around well armed keeping an eye for the opfor. The 249 can also be abandoned it If I need to fall back, Im still with a lighter weapon and just spraying as I retreat. Once thats empty it gets ditched and then advance with stealth with the DEs and let loose some more madness. This is airsoft pay and spray at its finest, I like a good laugh.

Archived