Primaries, secondaries and sidearms...

The General

How many of you carry 2 "main" guns and a pistol?

Is this over kill?

I generally like to carry something along the lines of an M14/Aug/AK47/74 with a G36C, MP5 or P90 and my trustworthy KJW M9 Elite.

I generally carry a fair bit of other kit as well in webbing or such.

I will be trying a CIRAS with a Camelbac Storm attached next skirmish.

I am beginning to notice that people generally take the micky out of me for carrying 2 Aeg's and a Gas pistol.

Am I over doing it? I enjoy myself anyway and its light hearted banter, but I notice I am pretty much the only one carrying 2 Aeg's.

Do I use both? I do a lot with the M14's as I only have a couple of mags for the AGM and currently only 1 mag for the G and G M14 (though that is not ready for use yet)

Plus I find its nice to set up in a location and have 2 guns handy rather than having to change a mag in a fire fight. I also find the shorter weapons a lot easier to use in close quarters and sometimes drop the primary long and webbing and just go in with the short AEG and a couple of mags for a fast charge.

I think it gives me options but slows me down. I am already slow so I think its not a big deal!

Cheers,

Wayne

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used to carry an AEG, a gas shotty in a scabbard on my back, and a pistol.

i gave up as i didnt really use the shotty as a backup, just the pistol, so i put a full stock back on it, and use it as a primary too now!

so i just carry 1 primary (M4 , L96 or boomstick), and a pistol as a backup :)

Well I'll always have my primary AEG ;) and always a gas pistol (usually a working one - bloody Mauser! ;))

If I'm gonna carry a secondary (if I'm on a site where getting back quickly to the safezone for a new gun isn't an issue in game I usually won't bother) I'll normally have a shotgun of some description, probably a spring - that way if the AEG fails, I've got a reliable fallback.

That said, if I had an MP7/MP5K or something in that line, I'd cheerfully carry that as a backup...

Do what's fun for you. :)

Besides that rather obvious point I guess it makes the most sense for snipers especially with long games where you might not always be 'sniping' or where you might find yourself going into a close up area where it's not appropriate to shoot people with a high power gun.

Besides that rather obvious point I guess it makes the most sense for snipers especially with long games where you might not always be 'sniping' or where you might find yourself going into a close up area where it's not appropriate to shoot people with a high power gun.

I use a 74SU with my KA SVD for exactly that reason.

I've recently started doing a simillar thing by taking out a M500 and MP5K, for the longer range shots, along with my MK23 as a sidearm. However I've cut down my webbing to belt kit so I find it doesn't slow me down. I get the feeling this is going to be one of those things some find is doable while to others it won't feel right

Since I own the short M56 without stock, I attach this to my backbag/Rucksack as a sort of primary, additional to an AEG and a pistol in my legholster. The M56 is so light, and the range is much better than the pistol if the AEG fails( when I am again Idiot enought to laod my batteries unsufficient :))

Lance

Larger sidearms like the Mp5k are ridiculous to carry around, even though it is "Compact" and whatnot. Besides the obvious "Single point sling", does anyone have a better way to tote one around?

Thigh holsters work for pistols. I never really find myself needing more than the primary in-game. Reloading isn't much of an issue, either.

Larger sidearms like the Mp5k are ridiculous to carry around, even though it is "Compact" and whatnot. Besides the obvious "Single point sling", does anyone have a better way to tote one around?

I found that a "weapons catch" served as an effective holster for an MP5k. I used a Blackhawk Weapons Catch (MK II, I think). It was sufficiently stiff to hold its shape if nothing was in it, and had enough velcro fastening it shut that it wouldn't open if you didn't want it to.

And it was perfectly wide enough to fit in the space between the pistol grip and the mag of the MP5k.

I have played with three weapons, an L96, a P90 and Glock 26 Advance.

However, i found that with both a P90 and a Glock as "Secondary" weapons, the pistol got no use whatsoever and I used my P90 for everything I couldn't do with the L96. IN any situation that called for a secondary weapon, the P90's capabilities really over-shadowed anything the Glock could do...

On top of that, carrying three guns (albeit one is a pistol) is just plain awkward and heavy and I found it got in my way a lot, having to switch between weapons on a fairly regularly basis.

I think 3 replicas is a bit too much, at least for me as Im not... strong enough. I only use an M4 CQB for woodland and CQB which hasnt failed up today (crosses fingers), but whenever I decide to tune up my BAR10 I will add an MP5 PDW to the eccuation because I can tune a compact AEG better than a gas gun while being more reliable in winter conditions.

Anyway, this is airsoft, dont ask and do what is funnier for you ;)

I only carry two primary weapons when it is clear that the situation is going to require it. The last time this happened, I was dug in and used my G3 for the better part of the engagement. After exhausting its ammunition, I abandoned the G3 in favor of the Colt Commando I had hauled up the hill and left leaning against the wall of the bunker.

Personally I never do this. I always carry a pistol, and either go with only my pistol or take my P90 as a primary. I would much rather have the extra mobility than have the extra firepower, which I find I have plenty of with two guns anyway. It also doesn't help that I'm just under 5' tall, so it would be plain ridiculous for me to carry more than an AEG and a pistol anyway :P)

Actually, I barely ever use a sidearm. Not because I'm an uber-leet-airsoft-haxor or anything, but because the majority of the games I play in don't last that long. Why is that? Because I live in suburbia, and we don't get a lot of serious players here my age. I know 2 here, and everyone else I play with tends to have something else to do at the last minute. So I couldn't really justify buying a $200 gas/electric sidearm (I wanted to so bad though!). I own a Maruzen CA870, which I use as a primary 'til I can finally get my hands on my cousin's M324. On occasion I'll use my KJ works Mk1. However, it's too hard to keep it as a sidearm without it flopping all over the place and falling out of my pockets (every shred of cash I get goes to future airsoft guns, that's why I don't have a holster) and it holds a small amount of ammunition, only 18 rounds.

I guess my problem is I don't have a reliable source of income like most of yall. Maybe If I had holsters and If I had another ruger they would be my woodland secondaries. (om nom foliage)

Hey, that's a cool idea. I should look into it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that yes, most of the time, 2 AEGs and a pistol is overkill. I would say that a large portion of players who carry pistols almost never use them, and what space you use to carry your pistol you could use to carry (lots) more ammo for your primary AEG - or just not bother and save weight. Same goes for carrying another AEG. Most of the time you would get on fine with just one AEG.

However, having said that, carrying a pistol is cool (I do it! Abeit only a springer :D) and can help in a really tight situation. It also gives you...I guess...a peace of mind and confidence that you have another gun to use. And if you think it's fun then it's right :). When I have enough money to get the loadout I want, it will feature at least 3 guns!

Stu.

I carry primary, 8 primary mags, secondary, 3 secondary mags, 2 bombs, 1 smoke, whenever it is possible to do so. :) I prefer the stress of suddenly only having a pistol and a couple of spare mags to fight your way clear to reload or what have you :)

I usually only carry my primary and a pistol with 8 primary and 3 secondary mags.

Personally I've never seen the need to carry two primaries as if one goes down I can still fight effectively with my pistol.

I personally only carry an AEG. I've never found myself successful when I needed to go to my secondary (which was VERY rarely). I like to simply make my primary dependable enough to work all the time, thus saving me weight, and allowing me to more comfortably carry my kit.

Archived