Total Practical Loadout

RC-1138

I wear any camo that works, I currently use either M81's or MARPAT(only trousers) I usually only use trousers and a brown tee. I want to mod the tops to be like the CP combat shirt or the ACU Army one with the Under Armour-like torso because I get really hot during games but still want camo sleeves.

I have an RRV that carry mags, water and maps/pens. If I need anything like tools or more water I have a med pouch that is usually not full so I can stuff that up with more ######. I have goggles and gloves and trail running shoes, want to buy hiking boots or any military boot with hiking boot technology.

Then I just have my gun, also a pistol if I think I'll need it but I can put that on my RRV or in a 6004 or SERPA on a belt.

Simple and I like it, maybe a more low profile rig would be nice but the RRV is awesome!!!

Now I want something around a CIRAS, still fairly light of a kit is planned.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well practical is a subjective measure

On open/practice days i can run around in a Chicom and a camelbak hawg and carry ammo, water, radio, medical(personal items only) and do just fine for a my kit

For games where its a few hours out into the field without break you have to up your water and carry extra ammo to reload your mags

For 24hr games you need to start thinking about what you need to survive during the mission like food, more ammo carrying ability(more mag carrying as opposed to just carrying extra bbs) and maybe even more water if you do not want to go to the safe zone to refill during play, and potentially other items like ponchos if mother nature requires.

This thread is almost a bit moot... Everyone has different needs. Some chaps don't like getting hurt, so will wear soft armour with a chest rig over the top. Others will play in a tshirt with a belt order. The practicality may be dictated by site rules: For example, at Longmoor, you used to have to wear helmets all the time.

Something REALLY practical would be next:

A boonie hat, beltkit (to put magazines, deathrag, water, knife, multitool, etc), uniform, boots and a replica you play with. Be realistic, what do you need more in AIRSOFT?

And if you're going to be away from base a lot of time you can take with you for an example CamelBak HAWG. You can put extra water in it, some food, extra socks, raincoat etc..

@Shriven

Totaly agreed.

CIRAS can be practical if you don't add too much pouches or accessories, I love CIRAS too but the problems are that it's too thick and not ventilated enough for a climate in my country also quite clumsy when I have to carry it to a field by public transport, so I decided to get a molle chest rig and it works quite well.

One point sling works well in CQB but you can't put a gun on your back and the gun often swing around hitting anything around you especially thigh rig(I use SERPA). Just recently tried a chinese copy of MAGPUL MS2 sling , can be quickly changed between one-point and two-point.

About SERPA,I personally like to put it on a chest position.

Simple, practical loadout:

1) Cheap chest rig: Linkeh. Comfy, easy to put on, carries 8 AK/G3/M14/SR25/G36/SIG/P90 mags, 12 STANAG/AUG mags or 16 MP5 mags no problem, plus a huge map/keys/wallet/phone pouch behind it. Two large utility pouches too for radio, food, speedloader or extra ammo.

2) Primary weapon + mags. Duhr.

3) Optional pistol and mags in a hip SERPA and mag pouches on belt.

4) Optional dump pouch on belt.

5) Optional Kneepads.

6) Eye protection.

7) Whatever clothing you want to shunt on underneath.

8) Optional hydration carrier. Zip-tie it to your Chest rig or put it underneath or over it.

Done. Cheap, easy and light.

the site i play at, a hydration pack isnt needed, and all you rellay need are guns, mags ammo and maybe pyro.

Thats because the games are only about 30mins in length with a limit of 600 aeg rounds (gas and spring unlimited)

I use:

An american style boonie

shirt/trousers/boots

a g36c with 4 140 mags.

a 1624 : NL Rig with Arktis Yoke ( i like it as the front pouches can hold 2 g36 mags un clamped)

thats all i use gear wise, i ahve a G&P aimpoint but thats the only gun add on

As someone already mentioned, the Smartwool PHD socks are amazing. Stupidly expensive at around 20 bucks a pop, but one of the best purchases I have made for anything involving heavy footwork.

You may try a high mounted safariland, that's how I've been wearing my 1911 and it doesn't really impede movement and is quite easy to draw. Do you really need two pistols though?

How about Flektarn? If you are including price in practicality than it's a nobrainer. Just as effective as marpat, and way way cheaper.

If you are just doing a loadout for 1 day games do you really need 2 MREs? either way, a MAP sounds like the right fit.

I've heard great things about the Vickers 2 point slings, and plan to get one myself as soon as I have some spare cash.

I would recommend an aimpoint and magnifier then, should suit your needs, get a flip mount for the magnifier and you can go straight to CQB without taking it off.

What surefire do you have? You may be able to get an upgrade kit for it, but if you are looking for something new I would recommend O-Light M20 Warrior Premium R2.

Why not run an eagle duty belt/pad and mount dump/whatever other pouches there?

To me it sounds like you might be trying to cary a bit too much for a 'practical' loadout. CIRAS are nice, but do you really need all that real estate if you have limited pouches and are trying to cut down weight? I think you would probably do well with a belt kit, and RRV/MAP, less stuff, and easier to manage. If you do need more space you could add in a cummerbund.

Your loadout seems to be more about "what I want to carry and look like" rather then practical. 99% of that stuff is not needed to be practical.

I just noticed this and, I can't think of anyone who would associate practical with carrying an IV.... :o

With the amount of stuff you are carrying their are tons of chest rigs you could use to hold that stuff. And as others have pointed out. A heavy hot vest will increase your need for sustainment making you need more.

The 2 MREs also seems way over kill. The stuff has more then enough calories for at least 12 hours of airsoft and that is assuming you only eat that and nothing before and no small things like jerky in between. And since you only have a standard bladder I am assuming this isn't a super prolonged game thus, you should never need that kind of ammo and a MAP on the back of the CIRAS will hold plenty of extra bits.

That many guns is also pretty far from practical and will turn you into a tactical turtle.

Pretty much all the stuff I put on my "list" are things I have used regularly at matches (I don't tend to go for the shoot in and out games, the last few games I've been doing are actually all 3 day ops w/ night portions. The IV is kinda funny but I'm a registered NY State EMT (AMT hooah) so I like to be prepared. I had to use it once actually at a match. That aside though, the CIRAS is practical to me cause that's just what I like and as far as the 2 MRE's go, like I said, I do 3 day matches most of the time, usually two dayer's so they are a must for me.

I pretty much wont consider a belt rig setup because after doing basic training, I never want a belt rig/harness (Y or H) on me again. And as far as chest rigs go, as I said, I like wearing my CIRAS and I dont see it as "impractical" in the sense that it's unneeded, it's just a different way to carry my equipment, which I prefer mounted high and around (I have mag pouches horizontally mounted on my sides, radio on my shoulder, ect.) And the second pistol/shotgun comes from the fact I use only realcaps on my primary (so 8 mags isn't AS much as it sounds anymore) and like I said, I usually run a bit hot fps wise so I need a few things that I can use close. Plus I hate reloading, so yeah... having a second gun to go to isn't bad ;)

As far as the flashlight goes it's an aging G2 Nitro, which I'd replace if I had to, but if an upgrade to a decent LED or something of the like is cheaper, that works for me (what specifically I have no idea). I'm liking the side folding magnifer but what's a good magnifier (specifically) that's worked for people out there that wont break the bank (sub $100ish)

Cmags dont always feed great, and Pball masks get in the way of proper cheek weld, am not practical.

Anyway.

I would run this:

"raid" modded BDU's

Goretex Boots (generic desert ones)

Chest rig (RRV knock off, replacing soon) with three fixed double m4 pouches, and modded to fit an SDS medic pouch, and a modded radio pouch into a holster for my 226.

Mechanix gloves

Optional Hydration Carrier, optional hat

So all in all I had, Sidearm, 7 mags, knife, tape,few speed loaders for my midcaps, dead reg, small first aid kit, bottle of silicon lubricant

Thats all I carried with me. And it worked excellent.

However im changing to a diferent RRV setup w/

Glock 17 in serpa

One small Upright GP

2x triple ar shingle

Nalgene Bottle pouch

Dump Pouch on belt.

Pretty practical if I do say so myself.

One major note-you DON'T need real, brand name gear to do this-forget Eagle Industries, Paraclete, BHI, TT, TAG, Crye, etc-etc. Any generic MOLLE gear will work, ie; Condor, OE Tech, Cheaperthandirt.com, etc. "But-but Hispeed-EI is so omfg7eetdetlaseals!" If you're not in law enforcement, military and you're life doesn't depend you it, you DON'T need real gear. If you can afford it and do buy it-hey its your money. Out.

One major note-you DON'T need real, brand name gear to do this-forget Eagle Industries, Paraclete, BHI, TT, TAG, Crye, etc-etc. Any generic MOLLE gear will work, ie; Condor, OE Tech, Cheaperthandirt.com, etc. "But-but Hispeed-EI is so omfg7eetdetlaseals!" If you're not in law enforcement, military and you're life doesn't depend you it, you DON'T need real gear. If you can afford it and do buy it-hey its your money. Out.

I would posit that you are right, technically one does not "need" any of those, but one technically doesn't need more than some cargo pants. Given that some of those brands have nasty reputations for failing, I think it is reasonable to suggest getting some higher quality gear. I have had no trouble with Pantac, and I know a few people who have used it in an actual war thing, beyond that I would suggest the same tried and tested gear, EI, HSGI, TT, etc (personally I avoid Blackhawk, but that's just me).

Anyway this is not really relevant for the thread, so I wont continue on the subject.

I think the main thing everyone agrees on is that Smartwool PHD socks rock.

Did you bother to read the OP?

Ya I read it, but if thats all he wanted he should have just posted those questions, not opened up a can of worms over what is and what isnt necessary. And lets please not get into real vs. replica gear. Not again

And, to answer some of his questions, I too say get some flecktarn, since it hides you on the field and makes you stand ou tin the safe zone. And My friends has had great results with the vest mounted one points. I too am about to pick one of them up for my G36. The modifications going to be a *badgeress*, but I think theyre worthwhile

RS gear is practical, you only buy it once....

repro gear you sometimes have to buy twice, or three times.

Buy quality, pay once

Buy knockoffs pay twice, thrice, etc.

Lets not get into that, especially with sweeping generalizations. There are quality clones, and it depends on what the user wants.

Archived