Airsoft Motion Tracker

kengo

I don't think many people here are seriously suggesting that airsofters use this thing for command and control. What people are overwhelmingly supportive of is using it to enable game scenarios otherwise difficult or impossible.

I'd personally use it as a locator beacon for some sort of nuke/pilot/whatever SAR scenario, if it weren't so expensive.

Know any back country skiers or snowmobilers? You could do the same with a couple avalanche beacons. That won't be a cheaper solution but it may be a more available one.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EH this is over priced and definitely useless. I can see all kinds of multipathing issues with such a small TX, and radio telemetry indoors yeah right like that's going to happen.

$256 for an outdoor version, garmin had this nailed down five years ago for much less, and 30 sec update, big freakin deal, you're not going to be staring at this thing for that long anyway.

I've been using RF modems for my UAVs and even with heavy foliage I get issues receiving telemetry (luckily they're autonomous), but the concept for receiving telemetry for a UAV isn't to much different than for this application.

Another thing is that it does not need GPS, it could simply be a Cartesian system based off of each unit, then it can get location with just one other unit.

I don't even see this as being a big help in large milsim games, I've been at ops where each unit commander had garmins and it didn't make a difference. People were still lost, and had no clue where other players were.

Nifty toy, that's it.

I could probably have a land warrior system set up with a LEA5H GPS antenna and a Xbee RF modem you could just use paparrazzi and run everything in auto1 (telemetry only) and it would be GPS based with updating terrain mapping as well as satellite images of the area. Setup would be minimal, why haven't I done it? Why waste my time?

Another route is just to get one of the GPS aps for the Iphone with the gps tracking feature, I've got one that I use to keep track of some of my friends, I don't call if they aren't at home.

What do you mean? The iPhone application was updated 3 weeks ago. Seems to work quite well. PPC coding though?

Their forum is dead. Project may have stared at around last september-october. The application appeared on download sites during Nov-Jan. Very few posts in the meantime. Last notable entry is from february. Spam threads were not cleaned since august. So noone has anything to ask and the admins have been absent for 2 months now. This indicates an abandoned project for me. As the staff usually don't abandon a popular project I assumed the project didn't fulfill the expectations of the developers. Which means it never really took off.

I may be wrong, of course, I only interpret the information I can dig up.

Pocket PC - Windows Mobile op system. I have such PDA, plus I can code it in C++ which is good since I never really liked Java.

ah. I read PPC as PowerPC - ye olde IBM processors.

A spammed forum doesn't necessarily indicate that - it can just as easily indicate people using it without issue. There's a massively popular provider of plug-ins for Pro Tools audio workstations that I know, whose forum looks just like that. It's never used. They gave up when the spammers took over and do all support via email. They're the top plug-in maker in the world (Waves). I don't think TeamGPS has that many users...there's not many reviews - as it's not very well named for its function. But it does work.

Your eyes wouldn't have to be on it all time.

This device in fact would save you time by reducing the amount of radio communication you'd have to do to figure out your teammates location. This would mean you could coordinate attacks much more quickly.

They just need a rail mount and the ability to flip it to the side like the Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 heart beat detector.

It would be a lot better though if they could add maps to it. Not bad though. I like it. Problem with it though is whether it would stand up to impact well or weather. Little bit of rain killing it would not be good.

Airsoft of the future is going to have tech in it. UAVs, and all sorts of fun gadgets. As war becomes more technology based so to will airsoft that seeks to replicate it.

I don't think it uses wifi or GPS. Just uses regular RF frequency to transmit among the units.

That aside.... I got the quote for the price. For those who really want this toy, be prepared to pay a whopping HKD 2000 (~USD 256) per unit. I was hoping for it to be under USD130 considering you would need at least 5-10 units for a good working group. I was told a 20% discount if I buy at least 100 units (group buy anyone?)

Another promising product which has failed with their price..... :no:

You hit the nail on the head Noveske.

It's too bad they're trying to maximize their profits so much so that they are keeping customers at bay with their high price point.

If there were around the $100-150 range like you said I for sure would have bought 10 or so for teammates to use at larger games.

Did the company mention what they would knock the price down to with the group discount?

You hit the nail on the head Noveske.

It's too bad they're trying to maximize their profits so much so that they are keeping customers at bay with their high price point.

If there were around the $100-150 range like you said I for sure would have bought 10 or so for teammates to use at larger games.

Did the company mention what they would knock the price down to with the group discount?

It was 20% for 100unit order iirc

• 1 month later...
Can't recall where I heard this but I vaguely recall reading that the Garmin Rhino only works in the USA.

Possibly summat to do with the radio frequencies it uses being illegal elsewhere?

A intresting device, would be better if it can also recieve signal from wireless helmet cam :P

i think the 100 unit minimum for a discount is bull.

this thing definately beats out any other device simply because they can do anything they want to the firmware, and even more so if its open source.

with the USB interface you can attache any sort or accessories like keybords and output cables.

the device works by first finding itself via GPS and then reports to other units via UHF frequencies. so in buildings or GPS dead zones the device is completely useless except for the functions used by the UHF frequencies.

you can hid your teams/units blips from enemies via privacy codes. but that still means that if there are 5 people in a unit using a privacy code on channel 8 (for example) anybody else on channel 8 wont see them, but they are still adding to the allowable amount of people per channel. so there can only be 200 users at any given point in time withing the range of the devices.

i personally think its all good. if they made an external attachment for talking and hearing (like a head set with a PTT) along with firmware support, they could utilize the UHF frequencies to use as a radio as well.

the rino isnt made by airsoft enthusiasts. we have pull in the development of this device.

if they increase the power of the UHF transmitter, they could have more range. but they probably had the device in mind for mid size games where the playing field is no bigger than a few football fields.

although, i wont be getting one any time soon. 250 plus HK shipping is still too much for me.

• 6 months later...

Archived