MAGPUL PTS ACR & MAGPUL PTS/A&K Sportsline Masada

uscmCorps

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It'll be next year before I can afford it but i'm picturing a Peli Case with custom cut foam containing all the kit and a few optics. Sorry Mr Bank Manager!

You know, when I was pushing them to release a deluxe version with ALL the accessories in one package, I was hinting that it'd be supremely cool to have it shipped in a decent foam padded hard case. I'll keep working on them.

AK PMAGs are a little different from AR PMAGs. They look more like waffle AK mags ... but they're smoke clear. Here's a pic of a RS ACR with 7.62 lower.

123501682-M-1.jpg

Pretty hard I'd imagine ? unless they made an adaptor like the G36 to m4 mag one, proprietary mags are all good though, the people willing to shell out for all the bells and whistles wont mind spending on more mags.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. It's partly to do with relative positions of the BB openings between AK and AR mags. But like I said, there's a lot more to it. It'll be evident once it comes out. But if you figure out a way to make regular mags work with the design please do share it.

But they're (supposedly) making a completely seperate lower receiver. Surely it can't be THAT hard, when they've already spent so much time, effort and money on making/designing the rest of the rifle?

USCMcorps, did they say why? in specific details? It just seems really, REALLY idiotic, to be honest, to make them not compatible with TM AK mags.

It was also partly due to the desire to have the same gearbox used for both 556 and 762 lowers. They showed me the internals of the BB feed path, the gear box positioning, the nozzle length, etc etc, and it seemed pretty obvious that if they were to truly stay as accurate as humanly possible to the real deal, that TM spec'ed AK mags would not work. Trust me, I was bummed too. Have you seen my mag collection? I've got plenty of AK mags that I'd love to use with it. But I do recall after seeing how the gun was designed that using TM style AK mags just wasn't in the cards. Can't get any more specific than that: Partly because I can't remember more details and partly because I don't think I'm allowed to disclose anymore than that. Yeah, it's unfortunate, but I think people might be making a bigger deal out of it than needed. The vast majority of people are interested in the 556 configuration and those who like the 762 config, will get three 762 mags with the new lower receiver as part of the set it comes in. Buying extra PTS 762 mags isn't going to be ridiculously expensive either (like the PTW mags were).

The magazine in that picture is a Bulgarian circle 10 magazine, i do not thing that is a magpul product but i may be wrong.

Dang ... you may be right. I wish I can recall exactly what it looked like. It certainly did not look very PMAG'esque. I wish I was allowed to take photos at the time, but product photos should be forthcoming soon.

I'm I the only one who doesn't get the whole magpul awesomeness thing?

@ uscmCorps: thanks for your work :)

In this specific case I think its mainly due to the fact of the weapons designs in RS terms. As for accessories its more of a personal preference of what works and what is tacticool. The Masada/ACR is far superior than any M4 in ergonomics, I would expect functionality and reliability to follow suit as well.

Firstly; Thanks usmcCorps. Great intel mate!!

I think the whole Masada range looks awesom, especialy the SPR. I have wanted to get one for ages but the A&K never quite did it for me, i didnt like the feel, was worried about the build quality, the internals etc etc but AT LOOOONG LAST Magpul to the rescue!!!!

The whole swop out parts system will be a godsend, no more having to have a GBB, a carbine, full length and SPR version of the same gun!

And BigAl.. i hear ya, finaly there will be a valid reason for putting an airsoft gun (and accessories) into custom foam cut outs in a Peli case.. best start saving Bigtime!!

The only thing that could possibly make me any happier right now would be to hear that Magpul are going to bring out the Massoud sometime soon with the same kind of parts swap system as the masada.. if they do i will definatly be in trouble with my bank manager... and buying a second Peli case ;) !!!

The whole GBB idea, how is the bolt gong to work ? It's set up for an NBB AEG, fitted in the upper receiver ? we may see a gas varient, but I'd be interested to see a blowback varient made with something as easy as a receiver swap ? maybe I'm over thinking the idea ?

The whole GBB idea, how is the bolt gong to work ? It's set up for an NBB AEG, fitted in the upper receiver ? we may see a gas varient, but I'd be interested to see a blowback varient made with something as easy as a receiver swap ? maybe I'm over thinking the idea ?

Im thinking.. GBB Masada SPR, locked off on semi and pushing 425fps... YUMMY!

And when your bored just swap back to AEG config, simples

Presumably either a false bolt will hang off a blowback engine in the place of the piston on an aeg or the barrel would change out as well to use a different hop up- possibly similar to the ones for the WA system that use regular aeg inner barrels. If the GBB setup came in AK flavour later, the use of GHK mags would go a long way to sooth the disappointment at TM ak mags not fitting I think.

The GBB Mech must be held in a Gearbox like shell, similar to the Madpull CO2 POS. Still think a seperate lower would be a better option. If I do get the full set I'll probably get and extra lower and leave the GBB Mech in it, if possible.

Just to clarify the whole magazine thing...

It's always gonna be a bugger to build an AEG that takes both regular M16 and AK47 mags because AK mags feed BBs from the back edge of the mag while M16s feed from the front edge of the mag.

You really need to start with an AK-compatible gun to get the gearbox placement right.

You'd then need to build an extended hop-up chamber to move the feed tube to the rear of the 7.62mm magwell.

Next step is to create your M16 compatible lower and fit the same gearbox to keep the motor and trigger position the same.

You'd then fit an extended nozzle and a regular hop-up which'd move the feed tube toward the front of the 5.56mm magwell.

Sooo...

It's doable but, from a practical POV, the best way to package it all would be to sell the gun in one calibre or the other and then sell the alternative parts as a kit comprising lower receiver, gearbox, hop-up and inner barrel.

I'd be tempted to suggest that people could actually do this conversion for themselves, and make use of standard mags, but you REALLY need to start off with the set-up to suit AK mags to begin with.

If the gun is released to suit M16 mags then the gearbox will already be too far forward to ever make any kind of conversion to work with Marui AK47 mags.

That's why it's easier to simply come up with a new AK mag that places the BB feed tube in the same place it is on M16 mags.

Archived