Rappelling in Airsoft?

Johnny Mad

Typically, isn't rappelling used either to cross difficult terrain, or to come at an unsuspecting enemy from a weird angle (I.E. the roof, or 2nd floor windows)?

Not very useful in airsoft where the enemy knows you're coming, and plus add to that it'd have to be a highly staged event.

You'd need a waiver from EVERYONE as well. Site Insurance cover that kind of thing?

Ben.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, rather than rappelling, I'd love to see teams using ladders to breach the first floor of a building during a house assault - it's just a question of finding someone strong enough to hoof said ladder about the field.

3.3m telescoping tubular ladder only weighs 10kg and will fit in a backpack...only problem is the more 'dynamic' things get the more chance something is going to go tits up.

3.3m telescoping tubular ladder only weighs 10kg and will fit in a backpack...only problem is the more 'dynamic' things get the more chance something is going to go tits up.

Yep, used them a few times now. Much better than running with a normal ladder as I have been seen to do on occasion!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I don't think it's practical - fun as it is, I'm sure someone will come under fire and in the heat of the moment forget to clip on... the risk of it just isn't worth it.

If it was at the very beginning for one team, so that there was no way they could be shot at while preparing, it might work, but even so you'd need a couple of proper instructors for the insurance companies to even think about letting you do it, so the cost might be an issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surely the human body isn't retarded enough to go 'oh, ive been tinged by this little itty bitty plastic ball, i'll just let go of this here rope and fall 100 feet to the ground because that is much more pleasant'. I haven't tried it personally, but I cant help but think we survived thousands of years of evolution by such acts of involuntary stupidity. So, in my head, by wearing gloves- stopping any real damage to hands there wouldn't be any reason to let go of the rope. And anyone using ropes without gloves anyway is a gooch.

I dont think there is actually a great deal more danger involved if playing airsoft whilst roping than just roping by itself, if that was what anyone was implying.

Insurance on the other hand, as always, would be an absolute beehatch.

• 1 month later...

a bit of a necro post, sorry - i recall seeing chaps at stirling services [as mentioned before] doing it, i think in game as well and not just staged, but it was obviously for those who had done it before.

outside of the game we had rudimentary run throughs of how to do it. or not.

irc some chap fall on their back.

for myself i think i was on my way out of a 747 and got the rope tangled in a bit of a *suitcasey* thigh holster that had wormed its way down my leg and i was thankful for my helmet as i swung oddly into the backside of said plane.

my faintly effeminate wail was heard across the airport runway...

saw some impressive skills from the chaps who knew how to do it though.

Surely the human body isn't retarded enough to go 'oh, ive been tinged by this little itty bitty plastic ball, i'll just let go of this here rope and fall 100 feet to the ground because that is much more pleasant'. I haven't tried it personally, but I cant help but think we survived thousands of years of evolution by such acts of involuntary stupidity. So, in my head, by wearing gloves- stopping any real damage to hands there wouldn't be any reason to let go of the rope. And anyone using ropes without gloves anyway is a gooch.

I dont think there is actually a great deal more danger involved if playing airsoft whilst roping than just roping by itself, if that was what anyone was implying.

Insurance on the other hand, as always, would be an absolute beehatch.

I think it's more the flinch factor. Flinching is an involuntary reaction to a surprise and that reaction may easily be releasing your grip on whatever you're holding on to. Combine that with the fact you can easily hurt yourself from an unexpected fall from a relativly low height you potentialy have a recepie for a trip to A&E.

Still, it could be a giggle if done properly

i was under the impression that when you flinch, or get a surprise, your hands involuntary grip, which is a throwback to our tree-climbing, ape-like ancestry?

apologies for off topic, and also if i am incorrect :)

Did some of this not long ago as team training, but I tend to agree – it hardly seems practical for most any game situation just because of how long it takes to safely rig up. I'd say it took us about an hour to get an 8-man team to the bottom (granted, we didn't have quite enough gear so some of it had to be sailed back up, and a few of us were first-timers, but still.)

i was under the impression that when you flinch, or get a surprise, your hands involuntary grip, which is a throwback to our tree-climbing, ape-like ancestry?

apologies for off topic, and also if i am incorrect :)

noted quite a few times while teaching beginers how to absail for the first time , they have a very nasty habit of leting go of the feed/brake rope underneath them and grabing the rope above the figure of 8 in front of there chest when they slip which i"m sure you apretiate you have NO chance of hanging on to as the rope is waaaay to thin to be able to hold on too , result if no safety rope attached you go thud big time . plus a hell of lot of straps on your tac gear to potentialy get tangled in your decent rig , realy good fun IF you know what your doing but a safety nightmare for the site organiser .

I was under the impression that it was unlawful to attack an aircraft in flight in the UK?? so surely if a helicopter was being used then it wouldnt be allowed to be fired upon for safety reasons aswell as legal.

also rappell from an aircraft or fast rope? there is a difference lol!!

I was under the impression that grappling hooks are amongst some of the most gash and pathetic urban assault kit the British Army has ever used.

Ropework demands a lot of upper body strength and carrying all your gear (depends on how much you carry obviously) would be bloody hard work, slow and leave you pretty exposed to fire. Give me a ladder any day.

Im not an expert in this but surely if your in a situation requiring rappelling, scaling, climbing ladders then i would assume your in a "direct" action situation, whereby travelling fast and light would be the norm? how many bergan carrying troops do you see climbing a ladder to do room clearing?

Archived