US House passes health insurance overhaul

Panoptes

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion this is a half-hearted approach at healthcare. We have a lot of problem in the U.S. I think being spoiled is the biggest problem because it really affects everything.

Right now, we actually do have a sort of "healthcare system" because people who can't pay for healthcare still get it, it's just that the people who can pay end up paying for their own healthcare and a portion of the healthcare for the people who can't afford it. The difference is that this is represented in inflated hospital bills and other costs. It is also reflected in additional federal money to fund hospitals. Basically, we pay for it, it's just not in the budget and if it's not in the budget the public is blind to it.

I kind of don't want to pay for anyone else's healthcare. But to me that means killing medicare, medicaid, cobra, gov't employee and veteran healthcare. If you want to take away government sponsored healthcare then let's be real about it, let's not take it away from everyone except the people who are most vocal against it. I mean seriously, people say "get your government hands off my medicare".

I also believe that the American people are often short sighted because the government is always there to bail us out. If you take away all government money from healthcare, it would cause so much pain to the American people that it would force them to become somewhat educated about it and that would probably lead to a sort of semi-free optimized system (maybe similar to what the swiss get), or at least something with some teeth.

Instead we get legislation that does nothing and costs money. We have nobody to blame but ourselves. Most Americans have no right to complain because most Americans don't vote. Until we start becoming educated and not only vote, but know what we are voting on we will continue to get poor legislation. You want to get mad at someone, don't get mad at the representatives who work for votes and campaign funds, get mad at the people who can't be bothered to go out and vote. They are the ones who ruin the "representation" of our government by not voting.

When we are happy about 1/3 turnouts, we need to be more worried about people who think that government doesn't affect their lives. And we need to be more worried about people who are dumb enough to think that voting isn't important.

Am I the only one that thinks this is actually a good thing?

I understand the whole "Government is taking over our lives blah blah blah" but they aren't.

I'm not going to type some essay here about how I think it's wrong or right, but the whole thing about 50% of Americans who didn't want the bill, I wonder how many actually read the fine print on what the bill actually does, not some Fox News ramble they heard on television and get made into thinking this is bad.

I love how much support Obama got during his campaign, and now everyone seems to hate him.

Apparently if Change doesn't happen in a year, he's doing it wrong.

Right now, we actually do have a sort of "healthcare system" because people who can't pay for healthcare still get it, it's just that the people who can pay end up paying for their own healthcare and a portion of the healthcare for the people who can't afford it. The difference is that this is represented in inflated hospital bills and other costs. It is also reflected in additional federal money to fund hospitals. Basically, we pay for it, it's just not in the budget and if it's not in the budget the public is blind to it.

People that can't afford insurance 'sort of' get healthcare in an emergency and then only the utter minimum. Very often it ends up bankrupting them or they only get access far too late as preventative care and diagnosis isn't available to them (e.g. cancer). For quite a few people though even the most basic healthcare provision is totally unheard of.

The argument that says "I only spent $275 on healthcare last year, now I'll have to pay $98 a month" is essentially countered by this:

tomorrow, you're diagnosed with a curable cancer. You don't have insurance because you are young and fit and don't think anything's going to happen to you. This is not how life works.

Which is essentially countered by this:

Why would I pay $1200 a year (for something that won't cover all of my expenses, anyway) when I can pay the fine (which will almost certainly be less) and then buy insurance on my way to cancer treatment?

Its only now i realise just how much i have taken the NHS for granted. Albeit, its not a great system, i'm quite glad that its in place; its saved my life, my families', friends and even pays both of my sister's wages. Okay, so the car park costs a fair bit and there seems to be an increasing number of problems problems with the hospitals themselves... and it is getting the country into a lot of debt and it could apparently be more efficient.

Then again, i suppose equal negatives and positives can be drawn from living in Communist Britain. :rolleyes:

In case you forgot, the US population as well as our intelligence community was duped by our informants in the Northern Alliance (what a reliable bunch of folks they be....) that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction (to which, there is proof that they did and had used chemical weapons prior) in addition to harboring known terrorists... The invasion justifications where played to our president (who was admitedly not the most intelligent) and our media (who like to spin things as you pointed out) and then to us... The part that got everyone going "Yeah get the frakers" was the last part, and the spin that both the president and our media put on it. Call it lack of thinking critically on our part... blame us... fine...

Really, do you ever read the stuff you write? so the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan lied about weapons of mass destruction in IRAQ? really? you know what I will give you a change to read up on this stuff, but here is a hint, posting plain wrong stuff makes you look like a *blank*

Which is essentially countered by this:

Why would I pay $1200 a year (for something that won't cover all of my expenses, anyway) when I can pay the fine (which will almost certainly be less) and then buy insurance on my way to cancer treatment?

uh, because you want to get treated right away, rather than wait to be accepted onto a special high-risk insurance scheme? Or do you suppose they'll be selling the policies in vending machines?

Clearly the concept of this being a collective effort to cover the whole nation is still escaping the "I'm alright jack" school of 'thought'.

Didn't care before it passed, and I don't care know. Yeah, increased taxes/more government control/whatever-people-are-griping-about-this-time sucks, but I've got way bigger problems to worry about.

Anyway, does it cover dental? I haven't been to the dentist in a while because college is making me poor.

uh, because you want to get treated right away, rather than wait to be accepted onto a special high-risk insurance scheme? Or do you suppose they'll be selling the policies in vending machines?

Clearly the concept of this being a collective effort to cover the whole nation is still escaping the "I'm alright jack" school of 'thought'.

It's a collective effort.

On behalf of a minority of the nation (who will be exempt, anyway).

To advance the right idea with the wrong agenda in the wrong packaging.

If I tell you you'll enjoy anal sex, it doesn't mean it isn't rape just because lube is being used.

If I tell you you'll enjoy anal sex, it doesn't mean it isn't rape just because lube is being used.

As long as I consent it isn't rape. Of course there the analogy breaks down because forcing you to get health insurance isn't rape and consent to govern is different to sexual consent.

The real question is when will Glenn Beck leave the US like he promised?

I will dance in the streets of my college naked when that happens.

Though I'd probably get arrested.

I haven't been following up on this issue that well (besides the daily rantings of Jon Stewart and how badly he pwns certain political leaders), but the basic idea is that each American pays a bit more tax-wise or whatever, so everyone in the country gets healthcare, right?

If that's so, how's that different from any of the other, shall we say, "socialized" services we get? From what I know (I think I know at least), the government provides certain services for free or low costs, such as police, fire department, libraries, and postal services (though TBH the USPS robs/steals from people like crazy). We pay for those via taxes essentially, since all of those employed in those fields are government workers/employees. At least that's how I think it is - don't get why healthcare isn't any different.

For those who don't want to be on the government-run system, wouldn't you just choose the option to get your services from a private provider? Don't get why it's such a big deal regarding how Dems are "shoving this down our throats". BTW Repubs, that's a HORRIBLE analogy XD.

I haven't been following up on this issue that well (besides the daily rantings of Jon Stewart and how badly he pwns certain political leaders), but the basic idea is that each American pays a bit more tax-wise or whatever, so everyone in the country gets healthcare, right?

:mellow:

-Vic

I don't particularly have a problem with the goal (trying to help people who can't afford healthcare), but it's not the government's responsibility to do so... and definitely not with my f***ing money.

Are you even out of college?

If it's not the government responsibility why are they the only ones stepping up to provide it? Who or what is this mythical entity thats going to provide healthcare and why are they so bad at it in the US?

That whole line from Colosseum is such a bunch of poorly thought out ######.

The real (not theoretical) purpose of government is to govern. In order to do so, government must protect the people just enough so that they have people to govern. When the people become so irresponsible that they begin destroying themselves, it then becomes government's responsibility to protect the people from themselves. Hence, healthcare reform. If people cared more about their health than they do about the healthcare companies in their portfolios, this wouldn't be necessary. But people are stupid, so government must step in.

I don't like it, but I'm also not going to bother trying to educate people who don't want to learn. I'll just pay the tax.

I pay for my own health insurance. If the <racial slang removed> who have 5 kids to cheat welfare so they can afford their Cadillac Escalade don't have their own health insurance, what makes you think I want to pay for theirs too?

I see here that it seems to be a very out for yourself vibe coming from some people. "I'll pay for myself but not that lazy stereotype" How about the person who's worked all their life in menial labour because their education wasn't very good? Or children? These lazy stereotypes are in the vast minority in comparison to people who actually need help.

Lets teach this like you might teach a child. If you were dying of thirst, with no means to acquire your own water and 7 people had a gallon of water they could all give a pint and still have 7 pints each while you had the 7 pints you needed to be at the same level as everyone else, healthy and happy

I pay for my own health insurance. If the <racial slang removed> who have 5 kids to cheat welfare so they can afford their Cadillac Escalade don't have their own health insurance, what makes you think I want to pay for theirs too?

Well at least you're being level-headed about it... <_<

Archived