Schnitzel with noodles - what made you smile today?

amateurstuntman

Yeah but you need to he fit enough to pass selection no?

..I only passed one BPFA...

The A in BPFA is Assessment.  Basic Personal Fitness Assessment.  Not a test, you can't technically fail an assessment as "official vocab guidelines" deems test too aggressive.  Same detail on Assault Course. #lettherussianswin

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fitness was assessed as "unsatisfactory" due to "failure to reach the required standard" - due to being male. Had I been female, it would have been a different standard. Because that's how "equality" works, apparently...

I passed one, before going to Afghan, not at all down to some creative press-up counting and doing the bleep test instead of the 1.5 mile run.

I figured the CFT was more important anyway, and although I struggled I passed at least one every year.

Well, it's no longer an issue for me.

However, the correct solution - especially in light of recent changes allowing women into the 'teeth arms' - is to only have *one* standard which applies equally to everyone.

You're either fit enough, or you're not.

So I ran in the Brigade's annual steeplechase yesterday - 10 miles through woods with kit on.  The first female over the line was 30 minutes slower than the quickest male, she is a firm advocate of not allowing females into the infantry and she has a spicy career record of repeatedly getting shot at and giving zero Fs.

EDIT: This thread is the happy one.  Happiness comes in the form of getting your soldiers promoted and into the jobs they want.

I believe every job should be open to anyone who can meet the required standards (be they academic, physical, or whatever) regardless of their sex, gender, orientation, skin colour, etc... But conversely, the same tests should apply to everyone.

If a guy with only one leg can pass all the tests to join the fire service (or police, military, coastguard or anything else), then let him.

If a guy with only one leg can pass all the tests to join the fire service (or police, military, coastguard or anything else), then let him.

There's at least one US Ranger who had his leg blown off and he's actually returned to the Rangers. That dude is one tough git.

Damn straight.

I don't care if someone I work with is any gender, race or anything that makes someone 'different' - all I care about is can they do they job they're there to do.

But that doesn't seem to be the hiring criteria any more.

It's more important to be seen to be "diverse" than to be effective.

"Affirmative action" and "positive discrimination" get people into jobs they're not mentally or physically capable of doing just because of their sex/race/whatever.

And that just puts more work onto the rest of the team while the less capable "diversity" hire gets the same pay.

Personally, I'd be offended if I felt I had got a job due to being a certain race/sex/orientation/colour/whatever rather than being the best candidate who applied.

I believe every job should be open to anyone who can meet the required standards (be they academic, physical, or whatever) regardless of their sex, gender, orientation, skin colour, etc... But conversely, the same tests should apply to everyone.

Unless his leg is made of something really flammable right?

MAH JOHNNY USED TO GOT TO SCHOOL WITH HIS LEGS ON FAARE. EVERY DAY. FOR FAAVE WHOLE YEARS.

MAH JOHNNY FAAREEEE LEGS IS THE HERO OF THIS TOWN, AND DONT YOU FORGIT IT.

JOHNNY NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT HAVING NO LEGS.

JOHNNY NEVER ONCE SAID NUFFIN ABOUT SETTING THE NEIGHBOUR KIDS ON FIRE WHEN PLAYING SOCCER.

JOHNNY WAS THE BEST DAMN FIREMAN YOU EVER SAW. YOU AIN'T NEER SEEN NOBODY PUT OUT FIRES LIKE HIM. IT WAS LIKE HE WAS IMPERVIOUS TO THEM. 

then again, all the fires where lil Johnny attended did seem to go on for much longer than any other.....

Archived