Blog: Magpul PTS announces the PDR AEG

talon_0315

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that is the case why don't PTs come forward and dispel this so called myth and state who is the oem . There is obviously a valid reason for them not to . But that Dosnt help when well known techs and various other sources jump to the nearest conclusion from their own experience in Airsoft repairs / engineering .

When USCMCorps tells us it's not Ares, then I believe him. He has no benefit in lying about it. Unless they paid him plenty sacks o' monies. :D

More than a dozen companies can produce the same thing if you ask them.

And why do they have to tell who their OEM is?

If they have to, why not other companies?

Keep in mind when crossing this question, we'll have bigger fish to fry than this PTS><Ares debate.

A lot of dreams will be shattered. :fear2:

Besides, without stepping on anyone's toes, half the airsoft people can't even see the difference between a scar-L and scar-H.

Yes, so called techs included.

Even if it's Ares, I am still satisfied with my ACR and all other PTS products I purchased so far.

Just my 2c.

The only downside to ares is that they tend to make gearbox casings to their own specs . Now this I wouldn't mind if they used decent materials to make them from . But on their previous guns they have not . Gears , tappet plates are usually interchangeable with whatever gen the box is .

Also their motors are chronically unreliable . I own several ares guns and all of them have had motor failure issues within the first year .

The other pain is the micro switch trigger units which I have lost count of how many failures I have had with them . . The hop units etc are usually very good as are barrels etc . Its just that they have had these former issues since the star days . And you think they would of took note and upped their qc and worked to solve the motor issues and triggers / gearbox casings.

I am not on about tuned up modded guns running big battery's etc , I run my ares bog standard with reccomended battery power ...

The externals are usually faultless and very well made on ares . Its just the internals that let them down .....

Strange since all my Ares guns are still stock and function well even after years of usage.

I only upgraded my PTS with hi speed gears and a new piston after wear an tear.

I have motor that's 5 year old (STAR) and still runs perfectly fine.

What is this recommended battery power? I use 20c or lower for 7.4v and 15c or lower for 11.1v lipo's.

Like I said in other threads before, it's as if they ship the bad batches to the UK.

Well the lipo they seemed to be suggesting on their presse releases, they reckoned was good for '1000 shots' although they didn't give any further details on the battery that I can recall. So it won't be particularly heavy on the C rating I wouldn't imagine.

There was a picture showing the battery size on the PTS Facebook page, showing a length of 9cms for the battery (no idea on other dimensions, they didn't show)

My umarex g36 c ( ares ) was a joke 3 motors in a year , a hop unit , under warranty . Is now 2 yrs old And the motor failed again . And massive loss in fps , gun taken apart to source problem and a shim was found embedded in the side of the piston . Also micro switch failure

Ares afv 2 motors , piston , cracked gearbox casing replaced under warranty .

Ares m4 cqb ris . 2 motors , cracked g/ box casing , micro switch failure 2 times

Still a good accurate gun though .

All used on 7.4 lipo 20 c max , wouldn't dare put an 11.1 in any of them ..

Seems a rather rash decision given the only 'real' evidence is that some designs are similar, and Ares has never been confirmed as the OEM. And if it's in their contract that the OEM is kept secret, then that was up to them when negotiating it. It could (in theory) even be TM who OEM it (it won't be but could). Again seems like more rumour spreading going on.

Never had a problem with my ACR regarding internals for nearly 2 years now and know a few others that haven't had don't issues either.

One thing I don't understand is, if you have to use a lipo in order to run this AEG, why on earth does it have mini-tamiya connectors. Just wire the damn thing with deans like every sane person uses when running lipos. It would definitely save some hassle and be a tiny step to back up the claim of being 'lipo ready'

So why won't PTS disclose their PDR OEM, exactly?

Most people seem to assume that PTS' OEM is Ares. This fact puts off many people who dislike Ares' designs.

Disclosing who the OEM is, especially if it isn't Ares, reassures those individuals who have been avoiding buying PTS products because of fears that the OEM is indeed Ares.

What is the downside to disclosing the OEM? 

edit* - I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm not buying a PDR, and I frankly could care less who PTS' OEM is. I do, however, appreciate it when manufacturers are transparent in their dealings.

The problem is that PTS is incredibly secretive, especially when it comes to their manufacturing sources for not only their polymer products but also their internals. Their polymer blend is still super hush hush and more than a few outsiders have tried to gain access to it. They're just not willing to disclose certain things that are exclusively in house, which includes internals. Now as for certain people not wanting to buy the PDR because they've made assumptions who made the internals ... PTS are totally okay with it. The current sales projections, preorders and daily inquiries are at a point that PTS are going to have a hard time keeping up with orders though the intent is there to do so. So if certain individuals don't want to buy the gun because of who they think is behind it, PTS won't be financially or emotionally hurt by that. When this product goes to market, the word will get out as to it being a fantastic gun, an okay gun, or a lemon. At that point, being the adults we all are, you can make the decision for yourself if this is something you would like, and if it is, and if you can find one in stock, go at it.

One thing I don't understand is, if you have to use a lipo in order to run this AEG, why on earth does it have mini-tamiya connectors. Just wire the damn thing with deans like every sane person uses when running lipos. It would definitely save some hassle and be a tiny step to back up the claim of being 'lipo ready'

Be it tamiya or deans doesn't make a difference.

Everything else is just shaman talk.

@uscmCorps: indeed like you say. For every person who says he's not going to buy it easily 100 others will buy it.

Same with Ares products. Fact remains it is one of the fastest growing airsoft companies out there.

In simple economic therms lot's of people buy their products they make profit--> success!

How many here have stated to never buy a cybergun product? Now look at their product catalog and financial data.

Look at how many are drooling over the VFC pistol made for cybergun. :D

The problem is that PTS is incredibly secretive, especially when it comes to their manufacturing sources for not only their polymer products but also their internals. Their polymer blend is still super hush hush and more than a few outsiders have tried to gain access to it. They're just not willing to disclose certain things that are exclusively in house, which includes internals. Now as for certain people not wanting to buy the PDR because they've made assumptions who made the internals ... PTS are totally okay with it. The current sales projections, preorders and daily inquiries are at a point that PTS are going to have a hard time keeping up with orders though the intent is there to do so. So if certain individuals don't want to buy the gun because of who they think is behind it, PTS won't be financially or emotionally hurt by that. When this product goes to market, the word will get out as to it being a fantastic gun, an okay gun, or a lemon. At that point, being the adults we all are, you can make the decision for yourself if this is something you would like, and if it is, and if you can find one in stock, go at it.

I love the attitude of some company's producing Airsoft guns !

We will put it to market be it good , bad or a lemon because people will still buy it . And our order books are full .

Maybe true , but not exactly confidence inspiring for the customer iif a an Airsoft company Dosnt really care if its good quality or not when it ends up with a customer who paid good money to buy their product. .

I love the attitude of some company's producing Airsoft guns !

We will put it to market be it good , bad or a lemon because people will still buy it . And our order books are full .

Maybe true , but not exactly confidence inspiring for the customer iif a an Airsoft company Dosnt really care if its good quality or not when it ends up with a customer who paid good money to buy their product. .

I think you are misunderstanding when he said "be it good , bad or a lemon". He's talking about customers personal opinions regarding the product.

Some customers are never satisfied, others are satisfied quickly even with a lemon.

You're reading things in to that sentence which aren't meant to be implied.  PTS clearly are not the sort of company with an attitude of pumping out junk products just because they know said products will sell on the weight of the brand name alone.

The warranty alone that comes with a PTS product should be evidence of that, you don't back a horse you know won't make it past the finish line.  How long would the retailers themselves carry on buying stock if word got out that the weapon was simply churned off the production line as cheaply as possible with the intent of tricking the consumer?  Especially in the UK with this hobby being so niche and the retailers so small compared to the US or HK, there wouldn't be any more orders placed after the initial batch if the guns were that bad.

I think you are misunderstanding when he said "be it good , bad or a lemon". He's talking about customers personal opinions regarding the product.
Some customers are never satisfied, others are satisfied quickly even with a lemon.

This as well, very much so.

If there are any manufacturing defects they are 100% covered under warranty. I have owned much more expensive guns that offered far less than the PDR samples I've handled. I'm confident (most) people will like the gun, but then again, people are fickle.

PTS's OEM may not literally be Ares, but there's obviously something Ares-flavored in the Masada.  Or are people forgetting the shape/design of the nub?

There may be a nameless OEM behind Ares, that PTS also uses.  There may be another OEM that PTS uses that copies Ares designs and incorporates Ares-like features in its designs.

At however many degrees of separation, there's obviously a link between PTS and Ares, but I'm prepared to believe it's not a contractual one.

The important thing is that Ares comes up with some dodgey designs and manufacturing practices, and the PTS OEM has copied at least some of them.

Be it tamiya or deans doesn't make a difference.

Everything else is just shaman talk.

Yes it does make a significant difference, tamiya connectors are inferior, replacing them with Deans is something I do to all guns that come across my desk.

I love the attitude of some company's companies producing Airsoft guns !

Maybe true , but not exactly confidence inspiring for the customer iif a an Airsoft company Dosnt doesn't really care if its good quality or not when it ends up with a customer who paid good money to buy their product. .

Textbook - put in an unnecessary apostrophe and missed out a necessary one.

Usually people's defence of this is that "You understood what I meant".

Ironic in this case since you seem not to have understood AP's post. He was not claiming that PTS don't care, he was saying this (I paraphrase).

Buy a PDR or don't buy a PDR but please, shut the hell up about it.

And what gives anyone on a public forum , yes a public forum ! The right To try to tell someone to shut up because you don't happen to agree with their opinions or argument

And please don't try to be patronising by trying to make an issue or yourself look big by correcting my posts , very childish and Does not really add much to the discussion does it ....

i don't see what peoples problems about it are. the guns aren't exactly like ARES products. the finish is different, the detailing of the gear sets and plastic parts are different, the motors are about the same but are built differently.

S&T for example make products very close to how ares does it, but they are not ares. rumor is the core group of designers came from ares, but they are not ares.

would it be so hard to think that PTS's core group of designers or lead designer came from ares as well?

i dont think anybody has a legitimate reason to boycott PTS's products just because their guns are similar to ares products in materials and design features.

frabz-woah-woah-we-got-a-troll-war-here-

lmao this is how i feel. Haters gonna hate on PTS but they got cool stuff. I may get the PDR in the future after i hear the good/bad/ugly about it. I dont believe in the hype of preordering. If something is a lemon, i dont want to be "that guy" who gets it and has a whole bunch of butthurt when he discovers it's a lemon.

Ill let someone else tell me if it sucks. 

Archived