Airsoft Mentality

uscmCorps

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do remember a certain team who had a website (now defunct) who would not allow mention of the word Airsoft, instead refering to it as "plastic death". Their moderators would jump on anyone who mentioned FPS or upgrades and they would ridicule anyone who posted a loadout that was not "authentic" and contained replica gear.

You could get slated for the wrong kind of kneepads of having your IFAK in the wrong place.

Oddly, they would quite happily use replica helmets and sapi plates.

If that was what they wanted, fine, I didn't begrudge it. It was their sense of superiority over "players" that peed me off.

Each to their own. We need to remember that. If we were all the same and wanting the same thing, there would be no-one to play against. That's because, if we all want the same thing we wouldn't want to be on the 'other' team.

Interesting read but it did come across (a tiny bit) toys out the pram. Which is ironic.

I do remember a certain team who had a website (now defunct) who would not allow mention of the word Airsoft, instead refering to it as "plastic death". Their moderators would jump on anyone who mentioned FPS or upgrades and they would ridicule anyone who posted a loadout that was not "authentic" and contained replica gear.

You could get slated for the wrong kind of kneepads of having your IFAK in the wrong place.

Oddly, they would quite happily use replica helmets and sapi plates.

If that was what they wanted, fine, I didn't begrudge it. It was their sense of superiority over "players" that peed me off.

Would that happen to be Team Wannabe? Those were the days :D

Would that happen to be Team Wannabe? Those were the days :D

Busted! ;)

One of the good things they did was to ban an annoying little tard who thought it would be funny to take pictures posted by a teammate and stick them in the Lightfighter "virgin" thread, while pretending he wasn't an airsofter himself.

True millsim: five mile march, lie in ambush for an hour in the pissing rain, fire off two mags and back to base for two hours weapon cleaning ;)

Not everyone is a Tier One doorkicker...

Busted! ;)

One of the good things they did was to ban an annoying little tard who thought it would be funny to take pictures posted by a teammate and stick them in the Lightfighter "virgin" thread, while pretending he wasn't an airsofter himself.

True millsim: five mile march, lie in ambush for an hour in the pissing rain, fire off two mags and back to base for two hours weapon cleaning ;)

Not everyone is a Tier One doorkicker...

I remember a handful of them attending a weekend game at LFU in Sheffield when I was marshalling, they had some nice kit but carrying that shear amount of stuff around just isn't for me, a lot of it seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Back on topic(ish):

Interesting article, I'll play pretty much anywhere, weekenders, open days, never been to a "proper" milsim event, the closest I've got is an open day with ammo restrictions, which worked nicely even for the two dozen hire gunners on site. 

If some players enjoy getting a high kill count then that's fine, they have payed the same money as everyone else and are free to enjoy their day out however they see fit, providing they are playing within the rules of the site. If their kills make it easier for their team to achieve an objective then they have contributed.

The worst players are those that complain about being shot, usually they are the ones with all the kit, taking the game far too seriously.

That article, and this resulting thread, leave me thinking that some folk need to pull their head out of their *albartroth* and understand that airsoft is not the same for everyone and no one play style is "better" than another.

true, but at the same time, people need to learn not to show up at a game where the rules or flow of the game will not be their cup of tea.

Which they know in advance, at least if they have taken the time to read before signing in.

It is simply sad to see fellow human beings being stupid enough to e.g. show up at a "NO HICAP" event and still show up with nothing but hicaps.

Especially when stated on every corner of the flyer, web page, rules, a billboard, etc,...

That has nothing to do with which type of player or game is best.

It's just plain ignorance.

Exactly. And while there are small groups of concentrated idiots who ignore rules "because we're the XYZ Rangers and we Train with a capital T so we can go out of bounds, cheat the chrono and pack extra ammo" the chances of meeting that sort are really pretty low. You may read about them here but seeing them in person isn't that likely.

The more typical one is the self developed idiot. They're the ones who show with the wrong camo "because it's all I've got", or with high caps "because it's all I've got" and then proceed to muck up the game play in the search for fun. They'll be just as likely to run out of bounds or to shrug hits because their gun won't shoot as far as the others and all the rest. They shrug off anyone pointing out rule breaking as jerks trying to suck all the fun out of the world.

The only disconnect that gets me is the folks who must have that super realistic gun; the most realistic externals and dimensions and marks supposedly for muscle memory but then they setup a star wars laser BB delivery hose with it coupled with a system to supply it with case lots of ammo. Something diametrically opposed to their real bullets and muscle memory fireside tales. Or they want a drone, or a riot shield or some other magic touchstone that will grant invincibility while slaying all and sundry.

As a whole though the airsoft mentality is a notch above as we don't need the proof of paint and we trust our opponents to do the same.

Wow this really is a case of 'play it your way'.

My idea of a perfect game would be to have one team in linen suits, shirts and pastel trousers driving into a situation full of gang members blasting pistols and semi auto rifles at each other. That is what works for me, milsim doesn't so I don't attend games defined as 'milsim' but I wouldn't knock people or say all of the hobby is becoming like that.

I get that in some places the general attitude can be different. Even in the UK, when I played in the South West safety was something they worried about and if someone fell over they cared. Up here you get called a <insert homosexually insensitive insult> and told to 'man' up, if you mention safety they just call you a wuss and get on with it. Just seems to be the way it goes depending on the players, if you have a choice of sites and don't like one, play the other, if you don't then you might have to go further to play games you like. Saying that just because one forum or one site doesn't have things you agree with doesn't mean it is all going downhill.

Some people just need to find a sweet spot and play to it, if not then make suggestions to other players, even hire sites out if you want a special game but to say we are all going to end up in the same mentality is absurd. Pick up your pistol, rifle, SMG, boltie, launcher or whatever and blat away with people you like playing with.

'FireKnife'

Sadly, lots of folks here just like to say they're playing milsim rules (without even knowing what it means) because they think it makes them cooler. It's as washed out as saying tactical or tier one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_113860&feature=iv&src_vid=n5SSzsNE5zE&v=t8SRjzxYRF4

Oh gawd, I thought you were joking!  :fear2:

Oh gawd, I thought you were joking!  :fear2:

Hell that is the most annoying thing I have ever seen. I thought it was bad up here but seriously that makes the hi-cap battles I am used to look like a picnic compared to this stuff. Remind me never to go there and play.

Though I really want to do my Miami Vice idea and have a good laugh. Would be fun to organise and I know it would only appeal to some not all. That is it though, it is all just down to how people play. Those videos scare me but that is just because I don't like that type of play at all. Doesn't mean I think we are all going to end up like that though.

'FireKnife'

Rather enjoying this thread. Long may it continue.

"Monkeys waging war by flinging poop poorly, in poorly coordinated poop-flinging contests".

LMAO, sounds very familiar.

Trying to develop team tactics in a democracy is like trying to herd a dozen kittens.

As a player-marshal at a woodland site which attracts lots of 'noobs', I gave up trying to plan for my team as they just did what they felt like as soon as the whistle went. I'll still organise a defence where I can though, but I personally prefer to lone-wolf it or work with 1 or 2 like-minded players, who's gameplay is compatible. I look to achieve a few fun sneaky kills to keep me smiling rather than winning each game.

As long as everybody's getting some action and both teams are giving a good account of themselves and having fun, I don't mind who wins.

After about 3 or 4 successful, annual, longer, WWII-based 'milsim' (low ammo, no lunch break, plenty of small objectives, points-based) games, my site owners vowed "never again", after the last one was a complete disaster, when it was open to everyone, due to dwindling interest in WWII kit. Hence, the like-mindedness of dedicated players being necessary to run such events, without people complaining that the game style doesn't please them.

Ideally though, semi-auto-only, indoor pistol play (including night games), with about 10 players per team, is my personal preference. Short skirmishes with low ammo and plenty of movement to keep the adrenalin flowing.

Murder mystery weekender. Based on a camping site (players stay over, the night before, to get to know each other). Pistol only. That would be exciting (or could be exciting if the tension is worked into each objective). Huge fire fight at the end against a four man swat team who have been setting traps throughout the day/game.

The main thing about any hobby/sport/play time, is to have fun. If being told what to do isn't fun for you, then you wouldn't look for that type of game (or put up with it). The problem with a person being in command, is that the selection process has to be carried out before hand (in advanced). Which will have people going "why can't I be in charge". Big old can of worms.

One of my most favorite things is to see a milsim "pro" with £5K's worth of gear spend all day shouting at people and telling em how to play, get taken out by a 13 year old with a bright orange gravity fed SA80 shooting at about 145 FPS!!!!

It never fails to amuse me how much people are willing to cheat if there's a competitive ethos. In the UK, when I played the emphasis was on everyone having fun - so we would play scenarios which were balanced or involved lots of respawns to make sure everyone had a good time.

In Hong Kong, it's always, ALWAYS ALWAYS team bloody bastardwank cuntbishop *fruitcage*tossing deathmatch with no respawns, in tiny linear death boxes with small bits of cover dotted around. So there is a competitive emphasis, because if you are honest, you'll call your hits and spend most of the day sitting on the sidelines not playing because you'll be hit pretty *fruitcage* quickly because none of the arenas in HK are more than 100m in any direction.

So what happens is we get players doing things like this:

The fun starts at 5:46. This particular player was the only zombie on that day, but he made up for it by being ridiculous. In that video I emptied an entire 140rnd midcap into him and not a single hit was taken until one of his team mates took position right next to him and suddenly, magically, he began taking hits. A pattern which repeated itself several times during the day.

I have entertained the idea of putting a compilation of all of the hit-dodging I have seen into a single video, but apparently YouTube won't let me upload a 4 hour video.

This guy, Arthur Lowther, doesn't know what he talks about. It's obvious that he's a diehard milsimmer who doesn't get competition.

He wants people to stop being competitive and just have fun.

Well, you can't. Once you become good, it's hard to have fun from silly games and mediocre opponents. It is like playing quake with dice instead of mice. You want a consistent challenge, not a dicethrow. You want something that warrants an effort. Something that rewards skill. Otherwise it's just boring. Airsoft is fun when you're new and everything is "mystical".

I'm about as non-milsim as you can get and I totally oppose the notion of hard competition and that winning is everything in airsoft.

I'm competitive about as far as Team A are on one team while I'm on Team B and my job is to hit them and not be hit, but that's the end of it. Everything thereon is about having fun, playing like a cartoon gun wielding hero, taking your deaths in cinematic ways, congratualing people on solid kills and being a good sportsman.

True competition as per legitimate sports like football and hockey falls apart completely in airsoft as it is so unbelieveably fall-over easy to cheat and as soon as a motivation to win outstrips the desire to have fun. that's when you get your Tommy Teflons refusing to take any hits they didn't specifically see the origin of and getting really really angry at being shot, then taking it personally as a failure of skill and getting all hissy and resentful about it.

Competition brings about the absolute worst in airsoft. We don't need it.

Archived