Several hurt in explosions on London Underground

xRAZERx

Main page content:

Several hurt in explosions on London Underground

By FT reporters

Published: July 7 2005 09:48 | Last updated: July 7 2005 09:58

A series of explosions on the London Underground have left several people injured and caused services to be suspended across the city, British Transport Police said on Thursday.

The immediate cause of the blasts, the first of which was reported at 8.49am at Aldgate station, was described by the BTP as a power surge. The BTP confirmed there were a number of “walking wounded” and one report of a person classed as “life at risk”.

Four other incidents were reported at Edgeware Road station, King’s Cross, Old Street and Russell Square. Passengers spoke of hearing a “huge thud’’at Edgware Road station and travellers emerged from tunnels covered in blood and soot and with torn clothing.

Shares on the FTSE 100 lost almost 1 per cent after the blasts, which come just a day after London won its bid to host the 2012 Olympics in a closely fought contest with Paris.

A London Ambulance Service spokeswoman said of the Aldgate incident: “We have just sent some resources to the scene. We have sent a number of vehicles to Liverpool Street station.“

London Underground said services had been suspended across the network due to the power outage and Kings Cross, Liverpool Street and Aldgate stations had been cleared.

The explosion, during the peak rush hour, is causing massive disruption for commuters. Streets around the capital were packed with people attempting to find other ways of getting to work.

The Underground normally handles more than 3m passenger journies a day

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting i had to work from home today.

my gf and her uncle were travelling on the tube and i still cant get through.

i'm presuming the networks are overloaded..

so, bomb on a tourist bus [apparently not a normal red london bus but a tour-guide bus] - rips top off - you can see its state and peopl eattending peopl eon the pavement on the live news feeds.

looks like the top was split intwo and the roof blown completely off.

the seats are visible down to the floor.

people describe the explosion on the tube as electrical explosions, not 'bomb' type explosions - but then - as the newsreaders suggest - what could have caused the electrical surge/explosion itself..?

lots of walking wounded reports.

controlled detonations in tavistock sq [which is usually a haunt of mine..]

so far, 3 buses and 2 tubes were blown out. all around the same area, didnt know until half ten, when my dad phoned up and said he might not be coming home for the night (not that hes dead, just he got no way coming home, so hes going to his mates house for a night)

The mobile network services have been shut down. This has happened, to prevent more explosions, as if it is a terrorist attack (which I believe it is, Singapore yesterday, London today.. what next?) they could be using their mobile phones to detonate the ED's, just like they did in Madrid.

Almost into martial Law - The Army is now attending in both bomb location / disposal and protection etc. All are armed.

Army personel are expected to protect downing street.

Just in - army are popping up throughout london at suspected locations apparently

6 confirmed explosions now

Looks more likely that this is a terrorist related insident.

Keep trying with the phones okioki, i hope you can get through.

I got through to my dad, he's fine, not anywhere near the scene.

Just heard that the Gov might have shut down the london area of the phone network, in case they are being used to detonate bombs.

I can see people in haz-mat teams getting geared up.

The police will be opening a casulty beuro soon.

Darth

Darth.. didn't you just say that you didn't think it was terrorist related? Your first post on this thread..

Again, it's got to be a terrorist plot, Singapore yesterday, and there's no way 6 explosive devices are going to go off simutaenously, especially the bus, that can't be blamed on electrical fault.

Poor guy on the news at the moment, crying his eyes out.. he was on one of the tube's that got hit, apparently he had to walk out along the track, with dead bodies littering around the carriage's.

It fills me with dread to think about Bush's reaction to this.

All we can do is pray for those in London, and those who have people in London.

I can't believe Tony Blair isn't returning early though, the Mayor of London is, and Tony Blair is supposed to run the whole country, and he leaves his country for a hotel in their time of need. He even delayed his speech untill 12:00, what the hell?

the BBC have nothing on the army coming in.

I'm not sure that would happen, the police have operational control according to CC.

I'm on sky news and i quote from their bit at the bottom "Army on the streets in london"

The police currently have control but i'm sure it won't be long before the army get sufficient personnel to take active control

I just saw a picture of the bus - live - the back looks to have just gone the kerbside has buckled and the roof is twisted and hanging off

3 buses definately affected only 1 confirmed as a bomb (WTF were the other ones then - elctrical surgs??? My *albartroth*!!!)

Army have officially taken control of the covent garden situation now

Archived