Is steyr stay-er or stair?

monke

And I'm a Canadian.

Anyways, Uni is right. I've taken a couple years of German and I'm preparing for my 3rd. Schteyer is about as close as youre gonna get. Most Americans see Steyr and think Stay-r. But in the US, as in other parts of the world, where you are dictates how you say things.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say Stay-er Aw-g and avoid saying marui when I can :D

A rep point goes out to the first person to correctly pronounce Deus Ex, as in the computer game by Ion Storm :D (Derived from the latin Deus Ex Machina, if it helps)

Gazchap gets the gold :D Though, strictly speaking it's Day-oos Ecks, the "Ex" bit is easy to pronounce :D You earnt yourself a rep point for Latin fluency, my good man :D

I can't realy tell if it's any worse than the original, Every time i click my mouse it slows down to like 2-3 fps for a few seconds. I go...

"Ahh! badguy! shoot!" *clicks mouse to shoot* Chug, Chug, Chug......... "Damned PC....." *goes off to play system shock 2*

Anywhoo, back on topic, yes? :D

I always used to pronounce it 'org' but my mate told me it was A..U..G, and that it was acronym. Therefore I know pronounce it A..U..G. AUG stands for 'Armee Universal Gewehr' (army universal assault-rifle) I think. Correct me if I'm wrong Unimatrix.

I think we should trust Uni on this as he's German, but I've always said it stay-er.

Hey! I'm NOT Austrian. It's a really big insult for a German to be called a Austrian
So that's why my aunt always goes beserk when I call her German (she's Swiss) ;)
I always used to pronounce it 'org' but my mate told me it was A..U..G, and that it was acronym. Therefore I know pronounce it A..U..G. AUG stands for 'Armee Universal Gewehr' (army universal assault-rifle) I think. Correct me if I'm wrong Unimatrix.

I think we should trust Uni on this as he's German, but I've always said it stay-er.

You're right, it's an acronym, but most people speak it as a word. It's simply faster to sag "ow-g" (like the first three letter of AUGust) than spell it A-U-G...

If you spell it "Stay-er", it's clear what you mean, but you're immediatly identified as a native English speaker. We call that "chewing gum German" ;). "Sh-tire" is the best pronunciation for English speakers, it accentuates the first syllable and the remaining letters are short spelled. So it sounds almost identical to the German pronunciation.

So that's why my aunt always goes beserk when I call her German (she's Swiss) ;)

And that's why we call them "Schweizer Gebirgszwerge" :D

Not trying to be a smartass but did your heart mind and soul go out to the victims of Saddam Husseins 20-plus year reign of terror in Iraq? At any point before everyone favourite kicking horse went in and did something about him?

Personally I'd prefer living free under American "imperialist occupation" than any dictatorship.

Regards

PenGun

That has to be the most politically fuelled irrelevant comment I have ever heard, also in the running for the prize described in the 2nd half of that title, I'm impressed. But only very slightly.

My AUG turned up today (oh yes!! finally I have one :D ), I must say I've always called it the Stay-er Owg, but cheers unimatrix for the properly informed truth :) Schtire - ow-g... Cool.

Archived